October Daye series Read-a-long

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
Post Reply
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 49691
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Lost and Found
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: October Daye series Read-a-long

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 13:32 I just finished Rat-Catcher. I liked it, but wish there was more. Though I guess that's the point of a short story - there could always be more.

The love that Rand/Tybalt had for his sisters was sweet, the relationship he had with the theater humans was also sweet, and I found his relationship with his dad interesting. Though I did find the ending of his father and Tybalt's take over the kingdom to be a bit abrupt.

I kind of wish there was more about the fire that occurred - why it happened? How long did it last? How did Tybalt go from London to San Francisco in the original series? Maybe the answer to that last question will be in the next short story.

I'll definitely read the next one, Forbid the Sea to see, but it looks likes the site recommends to read it after book five, so maybe I'll wait to do that.
Well said and I agree. I didn't like the father and the way he treated his other sons (he killed one and the other left) and abused Tybalt.

The ending was a bit abrupt. Maybe the next story will answer your questions. I will also read it after book five.
Personal pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 6147
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Weathering Old Souls
Bookshelf Size: 493
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: You & Me & Allergies by Shelly Orloff
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by hsimone »

gali wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 13:36
hsimone wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 13:32 I just finished Rat-Catcher. I liked it, but wish there was more. Though I guess that's the point of a short story - there could always be more.

The love that Rand/Tybalt had for his sisters was sweet, the relationship he had with the theater humans was also sweet, and I found his relationship with his dad interesting. Though I did find the ending of his father and Tybalt's take over the kingdom to be a bit abrupt.

I kind of wish there was more about the fire that occurred - why it happened? How long did it last? How did Tybalt go from London to San Francisco in the original series? Maybe the answer to that last question will be in the next short story.

I'll definitely read the next one, Forbid the Sea to see, but it looks likes the site recommends to read it after book five, so maybe I'll wait to do that.
Well said and I agree. I didn't like the father and the way he treated his other sons (he killed one and the other left) and abused Tybalt.

The ending was a bit abrupt. Maybe the next story will answer your questions. I will also read it after book five.
Thank you. :)

The father was horrible! He killed Lenet, too, right? Such a terrible person.

Yeah, abrupt and left us hanging. Glad to hear you’ll read the next one too after book five. Curious to see what other information we’ll learn.
She/Her

"Sons are the anchors of a mother's life." – Sophocles

"Love is patient, love is kind." - 1 Corinthians 13:4
User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 37266
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Stiff
Bookshelf Size: 983
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I haven't read the short story yet, but I plan to.


Also, because my slump is just that bad right now, I'm going to get a jump on One Salt Sea. Maybe (I repeat, maybe) you won't be waiting months for me to finish it that way. :lol:

I promise not to post anything until you both have started it. :no-spoil:
She/Her

“The deep roots never doubt spring will come."
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 49691
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Lost and Found
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:22 I haven't read the short story yet, but I plan to.


Also, because my slump is just that bad right now, I'm going to get a jump on One Salt Sea. Maybe (I repeat, maybe) you won't be waiting months for me to finish it that way. :lol:

I promise not to post anything until you both have started it. :no-spoil:
No worries. I will wait for @hsimone to finish the previous book before starting it. Meanwhile, go ahead. You can post with spoilers alert. :)

I am sorry about your slump. I hope it will pass soon.
Personal pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 6147
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Weathering Old Souls
Bookshelf Size: 493
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: You & Me & Allergies by Shelly Orloff
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by hsimone »

gali wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 23:37
Gravy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:22 I haven't read the short story yet, but I plan to.


Also, because my slump is just that bad right now, I'm going to get a jump on One Salt Sea. Maybe (I repeat, maybe) you won't be waiting months for me to finish it that way. :lol:

I promise not to post anything until you both have started it. :no-spoil:
No worries. I will wait for @hsimone to finish the previous book before starting it. Meanwhile, go ahead. You can post with spoilers alert. :)

I am sorry about your slump. I hope it will pass soon.
Is One Salt Sea the fifth one in the series? When my power went out and I couldn't use my phone, I actually started the fourth one on my kindle and I loved the beginning of it!

I'm was in the midst of another book so it's taking me time to finish the one we're reading, gali, but I'm back at it and about 100 pages from being done :D It's sooo good! Once I finish, I'll let you know and maybe I'll move onto to finishing Late Eclipses, so I can join in on this discussion as soon as I can. :)
She/Her

"Sons are the anchors of a mother's life." – Sophocles

"Love is patient, love is kind." - 1 Corinthians 13:4
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 49691
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Lost and Found
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:19
gali wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 23:37
Gravy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 20:22 I haven't read the short story yet, but I plan to.


Also, because my slump is just that bad right now, I'm going to get a jump on One Salt Sea. Maybe (I repeat, maybe) you won't be waiting months for me to finish it that way. :lol:

I promise not to post anything until you both have started it. :no-spoil:
No worries. I will wait for @hsimone to finish the previous book before starting it. Meanwhile, go ahead. You can post with spoilers alert. :)

I am sorry about your slump. I hope it will pass soon.
Is One Salt Sea the fifth one in the series? When my power went out and I couldn't use my phone, I actually started the fourth one on my kindle and I loved the beginning of it!

I'm was in the midst of another book so it's taking me time to finish the one we're reading, gali, but I'm back at it and about 100 pages from being done :D It's sooo good! Once I finish, I'll let you know and maybe I'll move onto to finishing Late Eclipses, so I can join in on this discussion as soon as I can. :)
Yes, it is the fifth one, and no rush. I am in the midst of another book as well. :)
Personal pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 6147
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Weathering Old Souls
Bookshelf Size: 493
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: You & Me & Allergies by Shelly Orloff
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by hsimone »

gali wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:33
hsimone wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:19
gali wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 23:37

No worries. I will wait for @hsimone to finish the previous book before starting it. Meanwhile, go ahead. You can post with spoilers alert. :)

I am sorry about your slump. I hope it will pass soon.
Is One Salt Sea the fifth one in the series? When my power went out and I couldn't use my phone, I actually started the fourth one on my kindle and I loved the beginning of it!

I'm was in the midst of another book so it's taking me time to finish the one we're reading, gali, but I'm back at it and about 100 pages from being done :D It's sooo good! Once I finish, I'll let you know and maybe I'll move onto to finishing Late Eclipses, so I can join in on this discussion as soon as I can. :)
Yes, it is the fifth one, and no rush. I am in the midst of another book as well. :)
Sounds good! :tiphat:
She/Her

"Sons are the anchors of a mother's life." – Sophocles

"Love is patient, love is kind." - 1 Corinthians 13:4
User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 37266
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Stiff
Bookshelf Size: 983
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Oh no.


I read Rat-Catcher.



:cry: :cry: :cry:
She/Her

“The deep roots never doubt spring will come."
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 6147
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Weathering Old Souls
Bookshelf Size: 493
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: You & Me & Allergies by Shelly Orloff
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by hsimone »

Gravy wrote: 01 May 2021, 20:34 Oh no.


I read Rat-Catcher.



:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah, it's pretty sad short story. Poor Tybalt. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next short story about him.
She/Her

"Sons are the anchors of a mother's life." – Sophocles

"Love is patient, love is kind." - 1 Corinthians 13:4
Post Reply

Return to “Read-a-long forum”