Steampunk/Science Fiction Book Suggestions

For July 2018 we will be reading Steampunk/Science Fiction.
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5127
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: The Golden Maple Tree
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Elvis Blue by Lee Roberts
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

Re: Steampunk/Science Fiction Book Suggestions

Post by hsimone » 09 Jul 2018, 07:47

gali wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 07:26
hsimone wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 06:49
Has anyone ever read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? I've been curious about this series for a while, but never made the leap.
I did and I loved it. :)
That's awesome to hear! I've requested the first one from the library. :D
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5127
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: The Golden Maple Tree
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Elvis Blue by Lee Roberts
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

Post by hsimone » 09 Jul 2018, 07:48

Bianka Walter wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 15:02
hsimone wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 06:49
Has anyone ever read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? I've been curious about this series for a while, but never made the leap.
I read the Lunar Chronicles (under duress) because they were recommended to me. It really didn't sound like my cup of tea.
I was wrong.
I LOVED the series.
Such easy fun reads, and kept me hooked.
I would definitely recommend them, especially for steampunk month :)
Ooo...that's great to hear! I've requested it from my library, so hopefully, I'll get the chance to read the first one by the end of this month! :D
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
Bianka Walter
Member of the Month
Posts: 570
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 15:22
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: South Africa

Post by Bianka Walter » 09 Jul 2018, 08:03

hsimone wrote: ↑
09 Jul 2018, 07:48
Bianka Walter wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 15:02
hsimone wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 06:49
Has anyone ever read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? I've been curious about this series for a while, but never made the leap.
I read the Lunar Chronicles (under duress) because they were recommended to me. It really didn't sound like my cup of tea.
I was wrong.
I LOVED the series.
Such easy fun reads, and kept me hooked.
I would definitely recommend them, especially for steampunk month :)
Ooo...that's great to hear! I've requested it from my library, so hopefully, I'll get the chance to read the first one by the end of this month! :D
Please let us know what you think. I was so pleasantly surprised!
There are four main books, so be prepared to put some time aside :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 30818
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 69
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: 14
Bookshelf Size: 1817
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 09 Jul 2018, 10:57

hsimone wrote: ↑
09 Jul 2018, 07:47
gali wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 07:26
hsimone wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 06:49
Has anyone ever read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? I've been curious about this series for a while, but never made the leap.
I did and I loved it. :)
That's awesome to hear! I've requested the first one from the library. :D
Great! :)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Athena612
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Jun 2018, 22:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena612.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Athena612 » 09 Jul 2018, 22:36

hsimone wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 06:49
Has anyone ever read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? I've been curious about this series for a while, but never made the leap.
These are on my list to read...once I graduate university.

User avatar
Tiny_Turtle
Posts: 161
Joined: 05 Apr 2018, 11:29
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Favorite Book: Scattered Leaves
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiny-turtle.html
Latest Review: Ghost Warrior by Denna Holm
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tiny_Turtle » 21 Jul 2018, 22:13

I don't believe I've ever heard the term Steampunk/Science Fiction. It sounds interesting. Now I just need to figure out which one should be my first.

Hmm... I wonder if I've actually read one in the past and just didn't realize that's what it was. The definition of Steampunk sounds more familiar than the term itself. But, no titles are coming to mind.

Thank you for coming up with this. Exposure to new genres is a bonus to the OnlineBookClub that I didn't expect. It just gets better and better the longer I'm here. πŸ’•

User avatar
Tiny_Turtle
Posts: 161
Joined: 05 Apr 2018, 11:29
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Favorite Book: Scattered Leaves
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiny-turtle.html
Latest Review: Ghost Warrior by Denna Holm
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tiny_Turtle » 21 Jul 2018, 22:21

Gravy wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 02:05
Greg Rucka's Lazarus graphic novels. Seriously my favorite graphic novels so far.

Their science fiction aspect is mostly the lazarus themselves. Enhanced humans to act as their family's defense/weapon against the other families. Set in a dystopian future, the world is broken into new territories, each ruled by a family, each family has a lazarus).


I absolutely love this series, and Forever Carlyle is awesome. :romance-heartbeating: :romance-heartbeating: :romance-heartbeating:
Is a graphic novel basically an adult version of a comic book?

The premise of the story Lazarus sounds interesting. Are graphic novels available for Kindle, or are they something I need to get in hardcopy?
Last edited by Tiny_Turtle on 21 Jul 2018, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiny_Turtle
Posts: 161
Joined: 05 Apr 2018, 11:29
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Favorite Book: Scattered Leaves
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiny-turtle.html
Latest Review: Ghost Warrior by Denna Holm
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tiny_Turtle » 21 Jul 2018, 22:37

Gravy wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 07:00
For a non-graphic novel suggestion, there's a YA series that has a strange, rather light take on steampunk.

Timekeeper by Tara Sim (followed by Chainbreaker)

It's steampunk by way of clockworks, but with a fantasy/supernatural bent to it.

Clocks keep time running. When a clock stops ticking, time stops moving.

It really is steampunk lite. :lol:
It also has some interesting editing, to portray the stuttering of time.
May be a bit too much fantasy to count here, but I suppose that's up to the reader. :D
Timekeeper sounds interesting too...Oh, decisions, decisions...lol

User avatar
Tiny_Turtle
Posts: 161
Joined: 05 Apr 2018, 11:29
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Favorite Book: Scattered Leaves
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiny-turtle.html
Latest Review: Ghost Warrior by Denna Holm
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tiny_Turtle » 21 Jul 2018, 22:41

gali wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 07:26
hsimone wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 06:49
Has anyone ever read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? I've been curious about this series for a while, but never made the leap.
I did and I loved it. :)
What is it about?

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 30818
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 69
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: 14
Bookshelf Size: 1817
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 21 Jul 2018, 23:28

Tiny_Turtle wrote: ↑
21 Jul 2018, 22:41
gali wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 07:26
hsimone wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 06:49
Has anyone ever read The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? I've been curious about this series for a while, but never made the leap.
I did and I loved it. :)
What is it about?
Each book in the series is a Re-tellings of a classic fairy-tale, and they all tie together in the final book. The first book is about A cyborg Cinderella. It is fun reading. :)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 30850
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 47
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 881
Location: In A Good Book

Post by Gravy » Yesterday, 05:33

Tiny_Turtle wrote: ↑
21 Jul 2018, 22:21
Gravy wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 02:05
Greg Rucka's Lazarus graphic novels. Seriously my favorite graphic novels so far.

Their science fiction aspect is mostly the lazarus themselves. Enhanced humans to act as their family's defense/weapon against the other families. Set in a dystopian future, the world is broken into new territories, each ruled by a family, each family has a lazarus).


I absolutely love this series, and Forever Carlyle is awesome. :romance-heartbeating: :romance-heartbeating: :romance-heartbeating:
Is a graphic novel basically an adult version of a comic book?

The premise of the story Lazarus sounds interesting. Are graphic novels available for Kindle, or are they something I need to get in hardcopy?
Graphic novels are a just comics all gathered together (both adult and juvenile). So the first Lazarus graphic novel is the first 5 or 6 comics in the series.
They are available in the Kindle format. :D

I absolutely love this series. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, if you decide to read it. :tiphat:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.


:reading-4:

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 30850
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 47
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 881
Location: In A Good Book

Post by Gravy » Yesterday, 05:34

Tiny_Turtle wrote: ↑
21 Jul 2018, 22:37
Gravy wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2018, 07:00
For a non-graphic novel suggestion, there's a YA series that has a strange, rather light take on steampunk.

Timekeeper by Tara Sim (followed by Chainbreaker)

It's steampunk by way of clockworks, but with a fantasy/supernatural bent to it.

Clocks keep time running. When a clock stops ticking, time stops moving.

It really is steampunk lite. :lol:
It also has some interesting editing, to portray the stuttering of time.
May be a bit too much fantasy to count here, but I suppose that's up to the reader. :D
Timekeeper sounds interesting too...Oh, decisions, decisions...lol
I know!
So many books, so little time. :lol:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.


:reading-4:

Post Reply

Return to β€œJuly 2018 Genre Discussion”