Use of Questions

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Use of Questions

Post by Dael Reader »

Yssimnar wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 15:06 Adding discussion questions would make it seem like a book meant for a class setting. It depends on the intent of the author.
Dael Reader wrote: Exactly. This isn't a textbook. It's a read-along picture book. Reading for fun!
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Yes I think questions like if they think Tony is a superhero would be great to improve the way the children think about things.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I do not find it necessary to add questions to this book. The main aim is teach children to read and comprehend words. I think it's better to leave it to the parent to raise points for discussion as the book is read with the child.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 07:44 I do not find it necessary to add questions to this book. The main aim is teach children to read and comprehend words. I think it's better to leave it to the parent to raise points for discussion as the book is read with the child.
It seems like questions imply more from the child than is really appropriate at the targeted age. Teaching children to read is quite a task, I wouldn't expect to get heavy into themes or lessons with them at this stage.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

kfwilson6 wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 09:51
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 07:44 I do not find it necessary to add questions to this book. The main aim is teach children to read and comprehend words. I think it's better to leave it to the parent to raise points for discussion as the book is read with the child.
It seems like questions imply more from the child than is really appropriate at the targeted age. Teaching children to read is quite a task, I wouldn't expect to get heavy into themes or lessons with them at this stage.
I totally agree. :) It might have been suitable to use questions at the end of the book or dwell on the deeper meaning of words if the book were for a different age group.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do not believe that there is a needed section for lessons learned. I believe that a lot of the creativity behind making a book such as this one for small children is that they are learning by reading, seeing, and doing. Which, I think is great for this age group.
Chelsea N. Hackett
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I think asking questions is really good and it will help readers better understand the book even more.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I think adding the discussion questions may just be over complicating the book. It would take away from the simplicity needed in this instance.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

melissy370 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 20:00 The point of the book is for young readers to learn how to read. I don't think questions about the underlying messages would benefit that goal. For me, the simplicity of the story is the beauty of it and the parent can draw the child's attention to whatever they want.
You are right that simplicity is the beauty of this story. However, some simple questions can be added to help parents to inculcate the thoughts to children.
And parents can do their self to make some questions about Toni ask children about it. It will help children to memorise those lessons for along time.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

chelhack wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 04:04 I do not believe that there is a needed section for lessons learned. I believe that a lot of the creativity behind making a book such as this one for small children is that they are learning by reading, seeing, and doing. Which, I think is great for this age group.
Of coarse it is not required . Rather can make this book interactive according to the mental capabilities of their child.

📕📖📰📓📕
Oscar Osman
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-osman.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Oscar Osman »

Incorporation of questions and answers would buffer readers' understanding of the story
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

It's a great idea though too much of something is poisonous. Adding many of them won't be so good because the main is helping the young readers how to read.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Adediran Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adediran-israel.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Adediran Israel »

I welcome this kind of idea. In fact, I have never seen a teens book that will end without any actual questions about the chapter he/she just completed.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Al Chakauya wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 21:09 For me discussion questions are a big NO for this book. The author's idea here is to teach kids to read - adding questions will not help the intended reader. The big and vibrant illustrations accompanied by very short sentences will just do the trick to lure the child to read the book again and again.
You are right in a way that the intended audience are little kids who can not go into the depth. The children of age group 1 and really can't understand these questions. But if we see at the age group of 3 and 4 , the children of this age can easily understand the questions . Rather they will enjoy this activity.

📕📖📰📓📕
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

In as much as the author wanted to teach kids how to read there also should be a lesson learnt from the book. This will also add more value to the book.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”