Toni's dislikes

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Re: Toni's dislikes

Post by uyky »

It could definitely add a lot to the story and make it more interesting. It would be hard to do in a way that children would understand it as flaws and not something a superhero does. But if done well, sure, why not.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it could have been a good way to introduce another sentence into the mix without making the book too much more difficult. However, maybe in future books, we'll learn more about Toni and his dislikes. I know she's planning one on vegetables. I'm sure there will be veggies he doesn't like.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Perhaps Toni would be a more balanced character if the dislikes were included. It is also possible that when the author included Toni's likes, the dislikes are assumed to be obvious. They may also have been omitted tokeep the book simple and with less content considering the target group is young children who want to learn how to read.
Itejere
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Itejere »

Maybe his dislikes won't make the book more interesting
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

Bianka Walter wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 14:01 This is a very positive book. I think anything to detract from that will put a dampener on the story, and I think it would make the book less enjoyable.
I agree with you the book will be less enjoyable
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I rather the flow of positivity that the book reflects.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

uyky wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 12:07 It could definitely add a lot to the story and make it more interesting. It would be hard to do in a way that children would understand it as flaws and not something a superhero does. But if done well, sure, why not.
You got my point. :tiphat: It will diversify this story and will make it more interesting.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kfwilson6 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 12:59 maybe including his dislikes seems too negative? Just a thought. It's probably best to use as many positive words with children as possible and you wouldn't want to alienate parents by saying Toni dislikes something their children like or they want their children to like.

What do you think some dislikes would be that might be acceptable to parents?
No, adding dislikes doesn't mean to add negativity, rather to help children understand using different ways that what is right and what is wrong for them.
I hope you will understand my point in its right context.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 01:25
kfwilson6 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 12:59 maybe including his dislikes seems too negative? Just a thought. It's probably best to use as many positive words with children as possible and you wouldn't want to alienate parents by saying Toni dislikes something their children like or they want their children to like.

What do you think some dislikes would be that might be acceptable to parents?
No, adding dislikes doesn't mean to add negativity, rather to help children understand using different ways that what is right and what is wrong for them.
I hope you will understand my point in its right context.
Well, I do think sticking with positive terminology was the best route to take on this book, but negative also means opposites in this context.
Not, no, dis-, un-, ir- are all ways of basically saying the opposite of something. So unknown versus known, interested versus disinterested, rational versus irrational.
I think sticking with the affirmative version of words, versus the negative works out best for kids because you want to encourage them to use the affirmative versions.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think that the more we talk to children about their "likes", the more enlightened they will become as adults. It is better to use the term "prefer" than dislike, so to teach this to children at an eary age is a great thing...in my humble opinion.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

I don't think the author should have included the dislikes, children need only to hear about positive things including the dislikes will bring negative content.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Yes! I think they would make Toni much more complex and realistic. We all have likes and dislikes. And they don´t have to be "negative" dislikes. It could be something like "Toni doesn´t like people who are rude". I don´t know, I don´t have kids, but I´m sure there´s a way to include a positive example, while still including dislikes.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I think there's a place for children's books with dislikes and without them. On the one hand they can reflect a real part of kids' lives, but on the other hand it's really great when children enjoy helping for the sake of it, which has a lot to do with the attitudes of those around them and I think it's nice that this book encourages that.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

When I was a nanny, I tried my best to be as positive as possible. Which I feel like enhanced their thought process, in feeling like they could do whatever they set their mind to. If they brought up their dislikes or anything like that, we would discuss it and try to turn into a positive or do something they enjoyed. Of course, it's important to know both sides, but since I knew what they enjoyed or liked, why stew in their dislikes? :eusa-think:
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 10:43
Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 00:55 I think dislikes would detract from the sunny charm of the book.
But don't you think that adding his dislikes would give a more balanced view of Toni's personality. And if we see it positively it can help children to abandon some negative traits, like we can say "Toni dislikes throwing garbage out of the house." Just through pictures and in simple words. Children would like to mimic that what the Toni ( their favourite character) dislikes, they should avoid this too.
And parents can also use this to remind children that you(children) should stay away from all those habits which your superhero avoids.
I agree that adding dislikes to Toni's character could be positively influencing to children in a way. But on the other hand, children might find it disarming that their superhero character is just a normal child with dislikes and disdains, who hates doing the same job as them. It would make Toni look less of a superhero.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”