Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by kfwilson6 »

juliamenez wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 13:34 I don't have any children, but would children really be interested in reading books about other children sitting inside and playing video games? I would think it would be much more interesting to read stories about people doing things outside, whether it is adventures in a backyard, playing in the ocean, or climbing a mountain.
That is a great point. That would not make for a very interesting book at all. Another point for the playing outside team!
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Nowadays, children tend to play more on electronics and that's sad. It is more fun and enjoyable to play outside and to move the bodies as kids play. It is healthier and more sociable. So I guess this book is very helpful to encourage children to do more outside activities.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I think that we all, adults included, spend way to much time with electronic devices. I remember as a kid running around and doing all sorts and only being allowed to watch the tv for short periods of time. I think we were all healthier back then and fitter. Hardly any of my friends were fat. As I look around these days more and more fat kids are everywhere. I do hope that something can get kids away from the devices.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 15:46 The thing about modern electronics is that they encourage a "spectator type" of attitude. Nowadays a person can scroll through tons of posts about workouts and diets but still order takeouts the next day. So, children can read such a book and still choose to watch TV instead of playing outside, more so if they read this book as an ebook or pdf. Again, like most of the other posts have said, the responsibility falls back on parents to see to it that their children are physically active.
"'spectator type' of attitude" is a great way to describe how so many people are living life. People scroll through FB to see what other people are doing instead of going and making memories for themselves. I doubt anyone ever looks back on the most recent few years and says "remember that time we sat and scrolled through Facebook?" Um no, they talk about things they actually went and did. At least Toni has a fulfilling childhood!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

In today's world it is quite hard to convince a child that playing outside is more fun than playing with gadgets. I think if kids are raised with a good balance of activities it would be healthy for them. The key is parents actually have to make time for their kids.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

I think in general kids have too much screen time, but every child is different. Not all children enjoy playing outside and in today's computer focused society it can not hurt to encourage children to gain skills they enjoy learning. Electronics could be a great benefit to children who have an aptitude for them if they are used appropriately.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

For the most part, yes. Children spend too much time indoors and not enough outside. However, there are some uses for electronics as well. My nephew is autistic and electronics help his hand/eye coordination improve. Moderation in everything is the key.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I believe the book did well to keep electronics and technology out of it. The set of children this book is meant for do not need to be much indulged into gadgets. They only need to know what is necessary or a joyful life!!!
az+12_4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by az+12_4 »

Today kids have too much screen time and yes this book will give ideas of outdoor activities.Parents can give example of toni to motivate for outdoor activities. Outdoor activities are more beneficial than sticking to modern gadgets.😊
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Outdoor activities are really important for the wellbeing of health and the self of both adults and children. The fact that this book promotes it is something worth appreciating!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

Playing outside will help develop their social skills and communication skills. It'll also help them improve their motor skills. This book will help parents to encourage kids to play outside rather than play with their electronic devices.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
Yes, I think children spend too much time on electronics, but not just children spend too much time on electronics! Ha! Yes, I think if this book will help children want to play outside more, then that would be a bonus.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

The problem is that when you live in the city there aren't enough playgrounds or activities outside that a kid could enjoy if you aren't lucky enough to live in your own house with a garden. And socially everything has gotten really complicated lately, as kids don't even know how to play with each other or interact. It seems to come from their parents that everyone wants to be the boss of others, the "leader", instead of being just a friend. It's hugely important in my mind to have this sense of friendship and trust, where you take care of each other. And this sense of camaraderie very rarely exist anymore. Videogames have turned into real life games, where you always have to be the "winner".
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

juliamenez wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 13:34 I don't have any children, but would children really be interested in reading books about other children sitting inside and playing video games? I would think it would be much more interesting to read stories about people doing things outside, whether it is adventures in a backyard, playing in the ocean, or climbing a mountain.
I think children won't be as interested as they would be if it's an adventurous book, but I think this book is perfect when there's an adult reading this to children. Goldilocks and the Three Bears is not that interesting but my parents used it as a reading tool for me. Maybe this book is just for a certain age group but that doesn't mean it's not as interesting as others. :)
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Kids do spend a lot of time on electronics, but with the time we are in it is almost as if it is a necessity. It is now up to parents to ensure there is a balance between indoor and outdoor activities.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”