Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by Mr Benji »

Britty01 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 23:03 While I appreciate the value of electronics, I feel many of today's children miss out on an awful lot when too much of their day is spent watching TV and playing video games (age appropriate). Imagine that, playing outside, what a concept. I sure hope it does encourage children and even their parents to think of doing more outside activities. Playing outside gives the child room to run, skip and get some good exercise that should aid with a beneficial sleep.

The benefits of exercise, running and playing outside cannot be overemphasized.

But only few children will realize this truth due to the distracting force from electronics especially gaming.

I think counselling and regular chatting with them might help.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

prinjeh18 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 01:51 Electronics are good as someone said, 'for their future', outdoor games are also good to exercise their body. Too much electronic gadgets may cause danger. There must be a balance to maintain good health to our kids.

Yes, mataining a balance between the use of eletronics and gaming and outdoor activities is good.

But this is only possible with the help of a discipline parent.

As many children will only see the pleasure in the electronics without considering the other side.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:57 I grew up in the 90s so I had a great mix of playing outside and then using technology as I grew up. I distinctly remember playing in our screened in porch with my friends but I also remember playing video games with them inside. I really think there needs to be a balance in screen time versus outdoor play. I get really sad when I see parents park their kids in front of a TV or computer to keep them busy. I understand doing this every now and again but your TV or iPad should not be your babysitter!

It is true that some parents have used electronics as a form of baby sitting, but they might accept a better alternative if available.

Outdoor activities is one yet only few parents realize this.

There is one relation mention between the 1900 and now: GAMES. The difference is that they are now but sophiscated and addictive than before.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Storm+ wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 16:38 I don't think that children's use of electronics is inherently a bad thing, nor is playing outside an inherently good thing. While I do think Toni playing outside will certainly encourage many other children to do the same, I would not be upset if the next book pictured him playing videos games with his friends or watching TV with his family. What it comes down to, for me, is Toni's interests. Toni might represent a lot of children's interests, but there is no way he can represent all of them. If the author decides enough children watch TV that it might be a good idea to include it in the next book, I would agree with that, but if the author makes the decision that Toni is the type of child who prefers the outdoors, that would be equally as valid.

It is true that Toni playing outside might encourge other kids as well.

But this highly depends on the level of enforcement by the parents. It takes a determined and disciplined parent to balance both activities.

And seeing Toni playing outside has really set an example for kids to follow.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 20:38 I agree that most kids have too much screen time. I also agree that parents need to lead by example when it comes to unplugging, being active and enjoying outdoor activities. How refreshing that Toni the superhero is more interested in reading and being outside!

It is true that Toni have set an example for kids to emulate by reading and playing outside.

But not all kids are willing to follow this example without the necessary help from a disciplined and determined poarents.

One thing to do is limiting the amount of time spent in watching TV.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 20:47 I’ve especially noticed with my kids that the electronics are addictive. It was really bad when they were first at home with us after they were adopted. We had to practically eliminate all screens for a time. Now that they have been home longer and formed strong attachments with us, it is not as much of an issue and their desire for electronics has normalized. I think even in families without the trauma my kids have experienced, electronics should be managed with care, and I appreciate that Toni's focus is not on those electronics but on other positive activities.

That is what my point is : the balancing of the use of electronics and outdoor activities require a determined and disciplined parents.

Kids if left on their own will only continue in pleasurable activities only without any restrain.

Take for example removing every form of screen from your home really was effective.

By that the kids realized that the issue was a serious so they had no option but to cooperate.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

prinjeh18 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 00:48 Proper use of gadget is a must. So happy for little Toni who enjoyed outdoor games. Electronic games depend on how the parents handle their children. So sad for this time, children engage more on gadgets.

It is true that in this era choildren indulge more in electronics than before.

But it must be balanced and by the parents--a disciplned and determined one for example.But not all children are cooperative. So what can one do in such a caseam

Determining the amount of use will also be effective.
Books are lovely.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Mr Benji wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 21:04
Kibetious wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 07:31 Of course, it will help some children provided parents will also encourage them to do so. It happens that nowadays most kids prefer staying indoors in front of televisions or Video games. These habits may make the children be antisocial and also be detrimental to their health as well. It is good that kids learn that they can also have fun outside the house.

I totally agree that the trend of kids who prefer games to activities like studying is alarming.

But in somes cases there is little a parent can do about it than restricting their exposure to electronics.

I forget to admit that gaming is such a distracting force due to the attention it demands.
This is equally true. Sometimes to achieve something, extra measures have to be taken and this may include restricting access to electronics.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

K Geisinger wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:40 I think most children spend too much time using electronics, but Toni's unlikely to change that. It's a combination of the family environment encouraging outside play and the availability of space and friends that will help children move away from a screen. Neighborhoods without playgrounds, safe streets, or backyards will rarely be successful in moving children outdoors. Hopefully the children reading Toni the Superhero will already be likely to avoid screen time.

Although many children nowadays spend too much time using electronics yet books can still be a way to influence them to balance this trend.

That's what the book tries to do. I agree it might not work for all kids because it takes a determined and disciplined parents to do that.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Jade100+ wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 12:41 Speaking from my experience, I lived in a poor neighborhood where drugs were sold and my neighbors couldn't be trusted. Because of this I wasn't allowed to play outside. I think that the question is not whether electronics should be dialled back in prevalence, but why they have become so popular. I do agree that the popularity of outdoor activity has significantly decreased, but I do not believe that electronic usage has gone up without reason.

[/quote]

Yes there must be a reason for the increase in the usage of electronics. One of them is because of its efficiency. Another is due to it availability and lastly it is affordable.

But the fact still remains that, its usage must be controlled by parents at home. And I hope the kids just cooperate with their parents.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

msomigreat wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 13:02 i tend to think that we as parents have the biggest role to play in determining this. if we make proper schedules for our children, then they will have ample time to have physical exercises and also play with their electronic gadgets.

Yes, the duty of parents to control the use of electronics by the children cannot be overemphasied

We just hope our love for them doesn't cloud our judgement to do this when necessary.

One thing we can do is to make ensure they understand the resaon for this.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

ArriettyClock wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 13:17 I really hope that this book helps children to see the values of outdoor play. I feel like, although electronics are a part of our life, that they are too heavily involved in children's play.
It's refreshing to find a book like Toni the Superhero that give children an inspirational character that does not need electronic devices to have fun and enjoy their free time. Children reading this cannot fail to be enthused by Toni and may copy what he finds fun.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

ArriettyClock wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 13:17 I really hope that this book helps children to see the values of outdoor play. I feel like, although electronics are a part of our life, that they are too heavily involved in children's play.
It's refreshing to find a book like Toni the Superhero that give children an inspirational character that does not need electronic devices to have fun and enjoy their free time. Children reading this cannot fail to be enthused by Toni and may copy what he finds fun.

Recognizing the importance of outdoor activities by children from the book depends on the parents.

For example, it might be hard for them to see this from the book.

It takes a mature mind of an adult to see this from the pages.

I'm glad too that Toni the Superhero teaches things more than saving people.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

CinWin wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 14:33 I think it is a wonderful idea to portray kids playing outside instead of inside, glued to their computers, tablets or television. I was reading somewhere that there is an increase in the problem of child obesity in the United States. Hopefully, this will help a little.

Yes, it will help more than a little if this information promoted through the media and other means.

One sure way to do this is the promotion of the book itself. Although this information can not be deduced by the children, parents would need to enforce this part.

And I hope the kids will understand and cooperate with the parents.
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Jennifer Fernandez wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 19:43 I'm always troubled by a question like this. Kids don't spend too much time on electronics. Is parent's who let their kids spend too much time on elecronics. Sadly, the thing is times are chaging. Electronics are part of our lives and eveything we do has some technological aspect. Even studying. Right now we are spending time on a computer or some kind of devise to reply to this forum and to participate on Online Bookclub. Critizicing kids for prefering a video game to a basketball is as if older people criticized our generation for prefering basketballs and barbies instead of playing wit yo-yos or spins. Even sadder still, kids can't play outside with the same safety anymore. We could walk alone to the park or the school without a care in the world but, right now, they can't. With this in mind is the parents the ones who have to stablish a healthy balance between video games (some are very beneficial, by the way) and activities outside.

That's is absolutely true: parents are reasponsible for the number of times a child is allowed to use electronics especially gaming.

One thing I must admit is that gaming can become addictive. Ads the popular going goes OLD HABITS DIE HARD.

I just wish that parents are able to monitor their children and their exposure to these distracting electronics.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”