Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Re: Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Post by Fu Zaila »

Cristal2408 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 14:43 Something most noticed while reading is the lack of "superhero abilities" in Toni. He helps at home, plays and has a healthy lifestyle. He can fly too, but he is not shown battling villains, he is shown being a good kid and son. Do you think this is because the author didn't want children jumping through the roof wanting to be like Toni? Are the actions meant to influence kids towards helping at home and being well behaved? Is it safer for children to read this book rather than modern superheroes?
Interesting question. I wouldn't know the author's actual intentions for not making Toni do potentially dangerous things which might influence children to do the same. But it is actually of great importance for the kids to see that to be a superhero in normal life is to be good, help out others and be kind and generous. It is rather thoughtful of the author, especially in this age where kids are inspired by Spiderman and Harry Potter to attempt dangerous things inorder to imitate their favorite superheroes.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

gen_g wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 01:17 I definitely agree about your point on influencing the kids towards helping at home - perhaps to teach the children that doing chores is not necessarily a boring activity, but it can also be a fun one. (:
There is an online trend where actions get the response of "not all heroes wear capes." I think this book follows thathat trend in saying that everyone can be a hero. In a way, it humanizes superheroes.

It also reminds me of two other films. First, The Incredibles because Edna says, "NO CAPES!" The second is Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Even though Captain Hammer is not the nicest, he does sing that everyone is a hero in their own way, which is somewhat inspirational.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I think it just isn't the point of the book for Toni to have superpowers. The point is for him to be an example for children, so he does that by doing things they can also do.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Cristal2408 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 14:43 ...he is shown being a good kid and son. Do you think this is because the author didn't want children jumping through the roof wanting to be like Toni? Are the actions meant to influence kids towards helping at home and being well behaved? Is it safer for children to read this book rather than modern superheroes?
I think that was why the author decided to put off little Toni saving the world until her audience grew a little older. You have to protect the young one's minds I think.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I like Toni being the main character possesses some influence on the children. If he were portrayed as a person jumping from roof tops or fighting villains, believe you me, some children would try to do exactly that. Being a model character is good for all children.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I think the real question is Does Toni need superpowers? The answer is no. I think it's a powerful message to children that they don't need to have superpowers to be a superhero. It's all about their actions and what they do that makes a superhero.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Yes, safety is the reason. Young children should not be made to believe in exaggerated character actions.
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I noticed it too. It would have been nice to see him battle villains as well as help around the house.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Toni is a superhero for kids. So we see all those qualities in him which are required to become a good boy. Villains are usually likable for adult stories.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Julez wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 08:23 I noticed it too. It would have been nice to see him battle villains as well as help around the house.
One quality is present her and the other one we may see in next books of this series.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Anthony Martial Tata wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 00:15 I like Toni being the main character possesses some influence on the children. If he were portrayed as a person jumping from roof tops or fighting villains, believe you me, some children would try to do exactly that. Being a model character is good for all children.
Yes he is a model character for children. And as far as his superhero qualities are concerned, I think his flying quality gives him an exceptional look, plus he helps everybody. So he is an ideal hero.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Kibetious wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 03:21 Well, maybe it is a safety factor. However, I think that flying to fight villains would have made the book lose its emphasis on the everyday activities, such as chores, that the children at this age can easily identify with. I also believe that this is making this book unique in a way. Making Toni have supernatural abilities would have been more of a replica of what kids watch on the TV screens often.
We see Toni as an obedient superhero, unlike modern superheroes who just focus on fights, thrill and action. We see him helping her mother and do day to day chores which children usually see at their homes as the pass most of the time with their mothers.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ahlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahlily.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ahlily »

I believe the author made it to where Toni doesn't have abilities not because of safety, but to have kids understand that you don't need to have super powers to be a hero. Accomplishing everyday tasks can make you a hero in somebody's eyes. I know there have been times where I've come home to find that my husband cleaned the entire kitchen, when he could've been sleeping before his next shift. And let me tell you, he was my hero then. The nights where I'm dog tired and don't want to cook, or dread cooking, and my husband decides he wants to experiment in the kitchen and cook us dinner? He's my hero then, too, even if the food doesn't turn out as tasty as we like. I'm about to compare my husband to a child, but the same applies to children. If they tidy up the living room, clean the kitchen, take out the trash, do anything chore that isn't expected of them, or is expected of them without any nagging, my god, I'm sure their parents would think they are heroes.

I know there were times where I would clean parts of the house or cook a full meal for my family without being prompted, and I know my mom appreciated it and loved that she didn't have to ask or nag. She may not have always expressed her appreciation, but I know it was there, especially when I went through a few of the rooms in our house and sorted out my dads things after he died, so my mom wouldn't have to. Doing things for others, like cleaning up the living room, without expecting anything in return, is a valuable lesson and can really help out someone more than you think.

Plus, you could be the best parent in the whole world and prevent your child's exposure to unrealistic things, like being able to fly, to try to prevent your child from injuring themselves. However, children will STILL find a way to get into trouble or get hurt. The influence of super powers is going to come from somewhere. Your child's daycare, their next door neighbor friend, television, super hero items in a store, you name it. The only way this can be avoided is if parents exclusively home school, have no visitors and don't let their child out of the house at all, and that would just be cruel. Kids will be kids and have an imagination. It's our jobs as parents to make sure they understand the difference between reality and make believe, not the job of a children's author.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I think it's more about the framing of the book! Rather than displaying Toni as some all-powerful figure, keeping the character a little more grounded means that real children can relate their lives to the story being read.
Ubah199
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ubah199 »

It dosen't matter if toni don't have ability but with his sensual creativity and his response to things around him really everyone want to be a superhero since you the ability to be
Ubah

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”