Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Post by Britty01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:30 The fact that Toni is black didn't even register on my radar until this thread. So I obviously felt none of the above.
And I don't think it will for kids either. They just see another kid, it's us adults that notice the colour :)
Pretty much sums it up for me. I saw it as a sweet little children's book with a good message and cute illustrations.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

hadizasalisu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 12:27 To be honest I think so, Toni being black is important because because little children of colour don't have a lot of literature to fall back on, and we all know its easier to see yourself in a superhero if they look like you, but I'm also a bit on the fence that teaching children about colour very young might be bad, what'd you think?
I think it's nice to teach kids that they are all equal even if they look different. Maybe have more than just a discussion about color. Have a discussion about height, weight, hair color, etc as well. That way you don't emphasize that one thing that makes people different so they may be more inclined to see all differences but to treat all people as if they are valuable.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Toni being a black child would only matter to those who want that to matter to them. I know when I read I don't care what the race of a character is as long as there is a good story
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:32 I agree with Bianka's initial statement that I wasn't even fazed by the color of Toni's skin. I hope children do not look at this book and notice either. When I was in elementary school I remember it was a primarily white school, and there was a brother and sister who were the only black kids I remember in my grade. I remember being friends with both of them, and I don't think the color of their skin was something I noticed at that time. Attitude, behavior, values, those are things that matter when you get to know someone.

I don't really like this question because I think it draws too much attention to something that shouldn't even be relevant about this book. Would you ask this question if the child were white? The only way I can really see it making a difference is to parents. Do you think white parents are less likely to buy this book because it is a black boy? Do you think black parents are more likely to buy it?
I grew up in a country where there are practically no black people. In my hometown there is not even a single black person, so I do not think it is out-of-the-ordinary for me to immediately notice the skin color of the little hero in the book. It's simply because I'm not accustomed to see black people on an ordinary basis. It's not a matter of prejudice or anything. Before going to the university, I've finished a pedagogical high school and I've worked with kids of all ages. I can tell you without a doubt that kids in my country will immediately notice if Tony were black or Asian. I agree with you that the skin color should not be relevant. We don't actually disagree on this. The thing is in certain cases, such as the one I mentioned, skin color is the perhaps the first thing kids will notice, hence my question. Besides, what I actually wondered was if the message this book sends is the right one or not considering that children's mind at that age is a blank slate or "tabula rasa", as John Locke said.
If somebody asked me to quickly say 10 names of white superheroes and 10 names of black superheroes, would I be able to do it? Would I be able to come up with 10 names of black superheroes? In other words, I do think it is important to have books about black superheroes. What is even more important is the way the author chooses to portray them.
I hope I have managed to explain a little my line of thought when I have asked the question.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The question above is one that could go on forever. But I am quite sure that kids at this age may not that much discriminative since this is what they are exposed to even in the movies they watch back at home. It is important that they also learn to begin seeing all people as equal as it is.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

hadizasalisu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 12:27 To be honest I think so, Toni being black is important because because little children of colour don't have a lot of literature to fall back on, and we all know its easier to see yourself in a superhero if they look like you, but I'm also a bit on the fence that teaching children about colour very young might be bad, what'd you think?
This is a true statement. Dwelling too much on this one aspect would make it look more of a competition than a book that was intended to bring some message to the kids through this character.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

You should keep in mind that there are supposed to be more books about Toni. This isn't supposed to stand alone, and I think the main goal here is to point out that any kid can be a superhero while making Toni a superhero to look up to.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

I didn't even think of his color. I just thought of him as a kid. I feel that it's very sad that it is still an issue and that we need to discuss it.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I think it all depends on how the readers choose to interpret the book to children. Kids at the stages identified for this book are really looking to the adults to help them understand the both importance of their personal heritage and how to interact with others. As an inter-racial family, we talk a lot about these racial differences, but we choose not to let them be the most important aspects of ourselves.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

Kibetious wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 03:05
This is a true statement. Dwelling too much on this one aspect would make it look more of a competition than a book that was intended to bring some message to the kids through this character.
I guess you're right, and Toni is just bursting with good behaviour that even I as an adult would do stuff to get my hands on.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

kfwilson6 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:09
I think it's nice to teach kids that they are all equal even if they look different. Maybe have more than just a discussion about color. Have a discussion about height, weight, hair color, etc as well. That way you don't emphasize that one thing that makes people different so they may be more inclined to see all differences but to treat all people as if they are valuable.
Yeah that makes more sense, but that'll work better if the book wasn't just centered on one person, but I guess the other books in the series will come in handy here I hope.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

It shouldn't matter but it seems it does or this would not be a forum topic with this much posts. Like Bookmermaid noticed such an innocuous characterization is beginning to become misunderstood. Well as we say in my corner of the world, such is life.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Book Bear wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 11:24 I didn't even think of his color. I just thought of him as a kid. I feel that it's very sad that it is still an issue and that we need to discuss it.
I read through some reviews the other day and had been seeing the graphics for the book and colour (black or white) did not factor into any equation. I agree it is sad that colour is still an issue and is being discussed.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Book Bear wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 11:24 I didn't even think of his color. I just thought of him as a kid. I feel that it's very sad that it is still an issue and that we need to discuss it.
Sorry Book Bear not Bookmermaid, my bad!
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

cristinaro wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 02:51
kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:32 I agree with Bianka's initial statement that I wasn't even fazed by the color of Toni's skin. I hope children do not look at this book and notice either. When I was in elementary school I remember it was a primarily white school, and there was a brother and sister who were the only black kids I remember in my grade. I remember being friends with both of them, and I don't think the color of their skin was something I noticed at that time. Attitude, behavior, values, those are things that matter when you get to know someone.

I don't really like this question because I think it draws too much attention to something that shouldn't even be relevant about this book. Would you ask this question if the child were white? The only way I can really see it making a difference is to parents. Do you think white parents are less likely to buy this book because it is a black boy? Do you think black parents are more likely to buy it?
I grew up in a country where there are practically no black people. In my hometown there is not even a single black person, so I do not think it is out-of-the-ordinary for me to immediately notice the skin color of the little hero in the book. It's simply because I'm not accustomed to see black people on an ordinary basis. It's not a matter of prejudice or anything. Before going to the university, I've finished a pedagogical high school and I've worked with kids of all ages. I can tell you without a doubt that kids in my country will immediately notice if Tony were black or Asian. I agree with you that the skin color should not be relevant. We don't actually disagree on this. The thing is in certain cases, such as the one I mentioned, skin color is the perhaps the first thing kids will notice, hence my question. Besides, what I actually wondered was if the message this book sends is the right one or not considering that children's mind at that age is a blank slate or "tabula rasa", as John Locke said.
If somebody asked me to quickly say 10 names of white superheroes and 10 names of black superheroes, would I be able to do it? Would I be able to come up with 10 names of black superheroes? In other words, I do think it is important to have books about black superheroes. What is even more important is the way the author chooses to portray them.
I hope I have managed to explain a little my line of thought when I have asked the question.
It is good that this question was asked just a bit sad that it is still a relevant question today. However it is better we continue to bite this bullet as shying away helps no one or any cause. This is why we have forums (at least the seemingly overt reasons - Picked this up from An Alvin Toffler Book - Thirdwave :) )

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”