Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Post by Manang Muyang »

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 18:16 Conversely, they may be an argument that a child could say ”I’m not a superhero, so I’m not doing the chores”. We could potentially be hoist by our own psychology.
Yes, that too. With how kids think these days ...
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

bclayton13 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 17:33 I agree, I think he's just a kid. But a superhero in the way that he's a very good kid. I'm sure he's a superhero to his family. He reminded me of kids who like to play dress up and pretend. I thought it was very cute.
I agree! Me too, I remember my little cousins and nephews pretending to be a superhero with their peers.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think what matters most is the compliments he receives from his parents given that they are the ones who spend much time with Toni. Toni is a superhero in his own world. It is good that the author is trying to bring a new meaning and definition of a superhero. Most of the people expect a superhero to be someone in a jumpsuit hence it is commendable that the author moves away from this tradition that is propagated in most children films.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I think children would believe he is a superhero.
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

I got your point. Hmmm, I also thought that way. A boy who is an avid fun of a superhero characters.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It’s a bit if an extension of ’charity begins at home’. How you behave defines you, not what you are capable of doing when in the spotlight.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I thought the same thing (Is Toni really a superhero?) because he didn't fly or do anything extraordinary in the book. It makes me think, he either pretends he is a superhero or he will do something extraordinary in another book. I would have liked to see him use his superhero powers in this book.
krnchun808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krnchun808.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by krnchun808 »

I think to us Toni looks like a kid who likes to dress up as a superhero and pretend. I think to Toni he is a superhero and he is just going about his life. Young children don't know the difference between pretend and real. So Toni lives in both worlds comfortably. It was perceptive for the author to understand the thinking of this age child.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:

Post by prinjeh18 »

Maybe, Toni is thinking that he is a superhero by just wearing a superhero costume. Kids love to do it that way. Superhero is just like an inspiration to them.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

Maybe in his own imagination, he was a superhero. I was just assuming that he was playing make believe the whole time.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I'm sure the clarification of whether or not Toni is a literal superhero will occur in later books, but I believe that his introductory story was likely meant to show the ways in which he is ordinary rather than the ways in which he is extraordinary. Children tend to gravitate toward the heroes that are the most like him, and portraying Toni as a normal kid makes him more relatable. It's frustrating not to know if he is a "superhero" because he has actual "superpowers" or simply because he's good, but I doubt the target audience (young children) notice or care that he doesn't have very many "superhero" qualities in the first book. Those qualities might appear in a later book, and, to at least some children, the timing of the introduction of the superpowers is a lot less important than it is to us.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I personally hope that he won't have superpowers in the future. It might make him too different from his readers. What is important is that he does the right thing, which (as readers will find out when they're older) sometimes takes seemingly superhuman effort.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

PABS wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 18:50 I personally hope that he won't have superpowers in the future. It might make him too different from his readers. What is important is that he does the right thing, which (as readers will find out when they're older) sometimes takes seemingly superhuman effort.
I feel the same way. I liked it that he was such a lovable little boy, I didn’t want him getting into danger or doing crazy things.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:

Post by prinjeh18 »

PABS wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 18:50 I personally hope that he won't have superpowers in the future. It might make him too different from his readers. What is important is that he does the right thing, which (as readers will find out when they're older) sometimes takes seemingly superhuman effort.
Awesome,👍
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:24 I tend to agree with you. For one, he doesn't wear his underwear outside. LOL.
This was a sharp and funny observation! :lol:

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”