Overall rating and opinion of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

The book is a very nice book it totally deserved 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book for kids still learning how to read.
Raul Fonoseca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raul-fonoseca.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Raul Fonoseca »

I rated the book with a 3 out of 4 stars. Tony is simple character and a role model to the children. Bringing out his character as someone who is supportive was good.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

I think the book perfectly caters to its target market. To early readers the illustrations will be visually appealing and the storyline is simple enough to grasp.
Dbranch21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dbranch21 »

I gave this book a 4 out of 5. I loved the illustrations and it was bright, energetic, and a quick read, however, the question I have is why was Tony a superhero? The title of the book leads me to believe that I will find out what makes Tony a superhero but instead it only showed what activities he did and what he liked. Did these make him a superhero? I don't know but otherwise this was fun to read.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

reading thid book made me confussed! was expecting more from it based on the review have read. but it offers no meaningful story line. was just more like a picture book. Thats my view
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Although a good book but too voluminous. I'm always scared by such books. I recommend the author splits the book into series so readers don't get scared by the dread of reading it. I will write my recommendations after the author has fixed the above.
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by MishM1 »

I enjoyed reading this book. It's excellent for emerging readers 0-4 years old because it's primarily a picture book with very repetitive and simple vocabulary so it encourages sight reading.

The best feature of this book is that Toni is represented as a superhero doing "ordinary" things but is still helping just the same. I also love that the moral lessons are taught through the pictures. Some of such are; racial tolerance and healthy parent-child relationships. The book also encourages healthy eating, active play outdoors and creative and artistic expression.

I did not fancy the fact that there was no true storyline. However, I understand the book's purpose and the intended audience so the lack of a plot did not take away from its effectiveness in that sense.

It is an excellent learning tool. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

This book is a great one. Not only is it suitable for children but even adults. I will not hesitate to recommend it to my friends. I will also recommend to teachers so that they can introduce it to the learners. The themes are great and relevant to children. The language is OK too. 4 out of 4 stars are worth this book.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Dbranch21 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 11:34 I gave this book a 4 out of 5. I loved the illustrations and it was bright, energetic, and a quick read, however, the question I have is why was Tony a superhero? The title of the book leads me to believe that I will find out what makes Tony a superhero but instead it only showed what activities he did and what he liked. Did these make him a superhero? I don't know but otherwise this was fun to read.
This is definitely a point of confusion for me as well. The back cover of the book says we will find out what Toni does when he is not saving the day. But the next installment in the series is about Toni fighting germs by eating healthy. We also see an image of Toni flying. It's quite hard to tell if he has "superpowers" or if his superhero status comes from being a good kid.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

topdan30 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 15:57 reading thid book made me confussed! was expecting more from it based on the review have read. but it offers no meaningful story line. was just more like a picture book. Thats my view
I think expectations for the book are better defined if you know the author's goal in writing the book. There really wasn't a storyline, it was just a series of repetitive sentences to help early readers learn. Books for young children have to be pretty simplistic and the illustrations have to be appealing.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Samuel Waragu wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 23:06 This book is a great one. Not only is it suitable for children but even adults. I will not hesitate to recommend it to my friends. I will also recommend to teachers so that they can introduce it to the learners. The themes are great and relevant to children. The language is OK too. 4 out of 4 stars are worth this book.
I think this is a great book for teachers. They can use it year after year to help children read and to teach children about all of the fun activities Toni engages in. They could even just do one page a day and have a discussion for that one activity. "Toni likes to read." The children can talk about the books their parents read to them, what some of their favorites are, do they like to go to the library, do they have a favorite spot to read, etc.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

MishM1 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 11:20 I enjoyed reading this book. It's excellent for emerging readers 0-4 years old because it's primarily a picture book with very repetitive and simple vocabulary so it encourages sight reading.

The best feature of this book is that Toni is represented as a superhero doing "ordinary" things but is still helping just the same. I also love that the moral lessons are taught through the pictures. Some of such are; racial tolerance and healthy parent-child relationships. The book also encourages healthy eating, active play outdoors and creative and artistic expression.

I did not fancy the fact that there was no true storyline. However, I understand the book's purpose and the intended audience so the lack of a plot did not take away from its effectiveness in that sense.

It is an excellent learning tool. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Of all the subtle lessons people have mentioned, you are the first person I have seen to mention healthy parent-child relationships and artistic expression. I love those observations and think you are absolutely right. Although the women in the book aren't labeled, I did assume one to be a mother and one a sister. Toni enjoys helping and playing with them. Family time is important and can be enjoyed. Wonderful!
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is worth it. It's a great read for young children. The simple illustrations which can be easily understood by the young readers makes the book more amazing. The great lessons in it too can work wonders to the young readers. The book is just full of awesomeness!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Raul Fonoseca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raul-fonoseca.html

Post by Raul Fonoseca »

I like Tony's supportive character. I think that's how the children should be nurtured and cultured. He help out with the house chores.
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

I rated 3 out of 4 stars. This is an interesting story because even though it is about a superhero, it emphasizes how people with powers do things just like ordinary people. Superheroes are not only about their physical strength or save the world for goodness sake, it is also about doing things that they love and what to do. Good illustration catches attention on the children.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”