Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Post by SMwathi »

The concept of race would not add any effect on the superhero. I believe the author used black intentionally to dismiss the stereotypes on white superiority.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

I don't think it means anything if Toni is black or white. we should be focused on the good lessons we learnt from his selflessness and good deeds.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
VJohnson0615
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vjohnson0615.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by VJohnson0615 »

Toni’s skin color didn’t come to mind when I was reading the book. My kiddos didn’t mention anything about it either. They’ve never commented on anyone’s skin color in a book. They’ve always been more focused on what was going on in the book. I don’t think the author was using Toni’s skin color to symbolize anything negative.
bluesky5_
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluesky5.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bluesky5_ »

Superhero's come in any size, color, race, or religion..that's diversity. For the hero in this book, Toni is demonstrating to others that he may have imaginary powers but these powers really do exist inside him and make him feel like he can do anything because it is simply "mind over matter". Being black doesn't disrupt his "superhero status" - it adds to it.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 03:27
hadizasalisu wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 17:14
kfwilson6 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:09

I think it's nice to teach kids that they are all equal even if they look different. Maybe have more than just a discussion about color. Have a discussion about height, weight, hair color, etc as well. That way you don't emphasize that one thing that makes people different so they may be more inclined to see all differences but to treat all people as if they are valuable.
Yeah that makes more sense, but that'll work better if the book wasn't just centered on one person, but I guess the other books in the series will come in handy here I hope.
I hope so too. You just gave me a suggestion for another question I could have asked. :) Is it a good idea to have books for children centered on one person only? Wouldn't this increase the child's selfishness especially since s/he already sees himself/herself at the centre of his/her little universe? :)
that is a very important question, one I'd really like to hear other opinions on :D. Though I think it's okay if it's done well. What this might mean wou features multiple characters that the main character interacts with and
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I did not even realize he was black until I saw this topic. Clearly my powers of observation are lacking. However, i think its great that he is black thougj I don't think little kids will be able to tell the difference.
Cassandra Keeney
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Sociopath
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassandra-keeney.html

Post by Cassandra Keeney »

I think the point was to show that superheroes can do ordinary things and still be super, and that race was not the main message. I think Toni's race is more about representation, as I know that in children's literature, diversity is actually lacking quite a bit. I do not think it has any bearing on the message of the book other than anyone can be super in their own ways, regardless of their race, gender, size, etc. I interpreted it as entirely positive.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.”
-W Somerset Maugham
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Calypso Terrier »

While reading the story, I did not really feel that there were any racial superhero stereotypes. I feel like this book is a just a friendly book about a friendly kid. It doesn't matter whether Toni is black or white or any other race.
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

One needs to read the subtext (between the lines) to see that. Worth pondering
Challa0h
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Challa0h »

Its important to provide more "super heroes" and role models for other black kids to emulate.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I do like the fact that he is black because my kids are mixed and there seems to be a shortage of books with kids that are not just white. I feel like we are looking to deep into it, but that is the world now. We are quick to see the color and question things. I see what you mean, but I feel like as the story goes on in future books, that all his amazingness will shine through and she will show you more he can do. Yes, it's the basic tasks right now, but it's just the beginning. :D
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

What should it matter for? I have noticed that people (and especially kids) don't often even notice or consider it important what is the skin color of the protagonist. Unless it's relevant to the story (like is the case with historic books that talk about slavery or books talking about other racial conflicts) it's likely that many people wouldn't even notice the the skin color or would consider it important.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:31
cristinaro wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:20
Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:30 The fact that Toni is black didn't even register on my radar until this thread. So I obviously felt none of the above.
And I don't think it will for kids either. They just see another kid, it's us adults that notice the colour :)
I guess my cultural conditioning and scholar training are to be blamed for my observations. :) It could be interesting to show the book to a number of children and see what happens. We learn about racial distinctions in time, so it's a good idea to have a black superhero to make sure we get rid of any prejudice and misconceptions.
I totally agree. And you're right, it would be interesting to see how many kids commented on Toni's colour - if any :)
Really interesting question though!
It would be interesting to see if the child noticed Toni's skin color. An easy way to find out would be to have the child either verbally describe Toni, or draw a picture, after reading the book with them. Just let them know to be specific about colors, naming a few items like the cape and hair color.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 13:57
cristinaro wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:20

I guess my cultural conditioning and scholar training are to be blamed for my observations. :) It could be interesting to show the book to a number of children and see what happens. We learn about racial distinctions in time, so it's a good idea to have a black superhero to make sure we get rid of any prejudice and misconceptions.
I totally agree. And you're right, it would be interesting to see how many kids commented on Toni's colour - if any :)
It would be interesting to see if the child noticed Toni's skin color. An easy way to find out would be to have the child either verbally describe Toni, or draw a picture, after reading the book with them. Just let them know to be specific about colors, naming a few items like the cape and hair color.
If you have them do that, there is no doubt that they would say he is black. That's just how kids work sometimes, they see the color, but it dose not matter to them until an adult points something out about it or says something bad/positive and then the kid will start to view that way. In my opinion, and from what I have seen with my own kids and others.
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 05:09
Tiny_Turtle wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 13:57

If you have them do that, there is no doubt that they would say he is black. That's just how kids work sometimes, they see the color, but it dose not matter to them until an adult points something out about it or says something bad/positive and then the kid will start to view that way. In my opinion, and from what I have seen with my own kids and others.
I was thinking that they might not even remember, if they didn't notice to begin with and if they're not looking at the picture when you ask the question. Maybe making a remembering game out of it? You show them a picture, put it away, and then have them fill in the colors on a blank copy, not focusing on only the skin color, but all the colors. If a 96 color box of crayons were available, it might be interesting to see how many children would color the skin close to their own skin color.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”