Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Post by briellejee »

I think not giving Toni the typical superpowers like Superman is to help children realize that even though in such small things, they're already a big help to their parents. I think this is to teach kids to be more aware of their own surroundings first before saving the world.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

I definitely think that the author is trying to encourage good behaviour at home and with friends. I think there's a message of not needing to be better than anybody else and everyone is equal and the same no matter who they are.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

Reading through this thread reminded me of the quote in the movie "Bruce Almighty" where he says "Parting a bowl of soup is not a miracle. A single mother who works two jobs and still manages to attend her kid's soccer game is a miracle." I like the message that someone doesn't need crazy supernatural abilities to be considered "super".
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

This is a book for a child around 2 or 3 years old. It is not meant for the child to read. It is meant for the adult to read it TO the child. A younger child doesn't understand the concepts of flying around and killing the 'bad guys', nor should they. They understand the concepts in the book at it is written and that is the goal.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I think Toni's super abilities are supposed to be how good of a kid he is — an excellent helper, intelligent, a good friend. An ability does not always have to be a power.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

For sure, it would have been too extreme if violence was added into the book. Mimicry is how these children carry out their actions. So endowing Toni with super abilities would be a great turn off.
RAndersen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randersen.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by RAndersen »

I liked this book, and while this was one of the points I found confusing because the author doesn't make clear if Toni really does have superpowers and can fly or if the Superhero bit is all in his imagination and he's just a good kid in a costume. I suppose the author will make it clear later in the series but I actually like that this book doesn't seem to come down on one side or the other of the question leaving it as a question for the young readers and parents. I doubt it's for a safety reason but hope the series continues to be one that can be understood either way.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I can just picture my nieces and nephews reading the book and then staring at me and asking, “But what does he DO?” Kids know superheroes nowadays. I appreciate the point that helping with everyday chores make you a super human, but maybe not a hero :)
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I read this book as the way that Toni is a superhero is that he makes good every day decisions. He is a role model for the readers of this book, and can influence them to make good choices themselves. The term Superhero is used as a relatable term.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

I think the author depicts Toni as a superhero doing ordinary activities to communicate that even our heroes are human too. Perhaps to counter hero worship which is common phenomen in our age which has had dire consequences especially to the young generation. Afterall , real heroes they say sneak up on you , they remind us of us and reassure us that at any moment with the right circumstances we could be them.
I think the author intends to encourage children to value ordinary day to day activities that are often frowned upon or considered mundane by the young generation such as reading and house chores such as dish washing and dusting by depicting them as activities superheroes do. Safety is perhaps an unintended theme emanating from the main theme but perhaps more intended is not the physical safety perse but emotional and mental safety that is often put in jeopardy when the young have an unhealthy competition and comparison between them and the heroes that society has elevated and paraded. Hence e need to redefine who a superhero is and what constitutes heroic acts.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I don't think Toni is a "real" superhero. He is just a kid with a costume and an imagination. The super powers he has are being respectful and helping around the house, not flying and laser eyes.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Maybe safety could've been a factor. I have an uncle who literally tried to do a Superman flight from the roof. It happens! But I think what stands out is that Toni is a boy like all the kids that will read this book. Even if he´s a superhero he does normal kid activities and helps out, which I think is a great role model.
Libertyrenee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Libertyrenee »

I think if you write a story that's "superhero" related and you specifically leave out the menagerie of powers then it's most likely intentional. I think this story is meant to give children the empowerment that super hero stories give but without a huge push from the "superhuman" element. My parents have always been very conservative and they never wanted to push the whole "superhero with altered DNA" agenda I think because they see it as a possibility not far off in our reality.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Toni's never having any superpower is a good departure from the commonplace notion that heroes should be extraordinary in looks or abilities. This is a good thing here in this book that Toni upheld the cause of ordinary children, or of every ordinary individual for that matter, that being just ordinary and doing your usual responsibilities as called for in your work, or station in life, is heroic.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I totally agree with your thought process. The author is trying to show kids that a superhero doesn't necessarily have the powers shown in the Marvel and DC universe. Toni is more inspiring than any of these heroes as he is more grounded in reality and a safer role model to follow.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”