Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Re: Opinions on the cover and ilustrations

Post by Storm+ »

The illustrations in this book are bright and colorful, but also simple enough that even a very young child can identify what they depict. This likely makes it easier for a beginning reader to learn the meanings of the words on the page, meaning that the illustrations are absolutely perfect for the book's target audience, which is, of course, young children.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

The illustration will be effective in catching the attention of the target age group. I was watching this variety show from South Korea that features kids and their dads. One of the kids love this cartoons about pigs. You will be shock at how simple the animation of the pigs (it does not really look like one, more of a sketch but colorful) and yet she's so crazy about the cartoon show. So from this I think kids appreciate simple drawings. They are at the stage where everything new and they cannot yet do are actually amazing. (base from my experience regarding my nephews and niece as well). So the book's illustration is alright for its target age group.
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

Someone mentioned the illustrations being too slopy. I must admit I felt that way at first too! :). But then, remembering that kids just need to see and feel the colors and emotions in each picture made it click for me. They're not bothered about proportions of the drawings and all that. It even might serve the purpose of depicting the artworks in the carefree way kids draw too! So they'd relate more! :)
mae loayon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mae loayon »

It looks like accommodating, it can attract the children and makes them interested with it..So it's beautiful..
sarah_randell30
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sarah_randell30 »

Ye..For me it ca affect the behaviour of the Children..it will be more interesting for them to read the books especially if it is catchy to them
Tcaudill
Currently Reading: Masterminders
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Tcaudill »

The illustrations in this book are very bright and colorful and each picture illustrates what Toni is doing. The pictures helps kids to figure what the activities that Toni is doing.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I can't say I'm in love with the cover or the illustrations. I've never understood why people associate children's books with simplistic art. Don't kids see everyday life just as adults do? Why would they need dumbed-down pictures with less detail? I feel that more detail will lead to more opportunities for growth in the readers.

This book isn't alone and shouldn't be vilified for it; these are just my personal thoughts regarding the topic.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think the cover picture was charming and the illustrations right on point.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Kmykel wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 13:24 I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I thought the illustrations were far too simple. I speak as a cartoonist myself (be it not a professional one), and I thought they were just a wasted opportunity. A book like this needs big, beautiful, detailed pictures and these look unprofessional and sloppy. There was a nice sense of movement, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.
I kind of agree with you, haven't read the book yet so can only discuss on the book cover. The book cover evoked almost no emotion the first time I saw it, I only got interested in the nook after reading a volunteer review. I hope to read the book soon and hopefully will be able to comment on the illustrations inside.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I love the cover and the illustrations but I think the author didn't exploit them fully. But it did make the book colorful and enhanced understanding.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

The illustrations in this book are wonderful, and definitely would invoke excitement for children reading or looking at the book. And the simplicity of the drawings is great. Any child who might want to try and copy the art style wouldn't struggle too much when compared to another children's book where the drawings might be a bit more complicated. I know growing up, I loved to try and copy drawings from books I was reading. It helps spark creativity within children!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

The pictures are really eye catching. It reminds me of the 90's cartoon style. But, judging by the cover, I initally thought it was a book to encourage children to do more chores.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

There is a reason why as kids, we learnt very simple words first. At school, we are introduced to simple math at first too. I think kids will love this simple drawings because it looks like something they might draw themselves with little effort. They look at these pages and they are in kiddie world.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I thought the pictures were good. I would have put a cat up in the tree. That way you have a picture of him saving an animal.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I absolutely love the color and illustrations of this book. These are just according to the taste of kids.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”