Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Wael El-Manzalawy
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wael-el-manzalawy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Post by Wael El-Manzalawy »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:27 I thought the premise of the book was that Toni was an actual superhero, but that he still did ordinary chores and activities like other kids. It seemed like the whole point was to show kids that even superheroes have the same responsibilities as everyone else.
I agree with you. There is an evidence in the story that Toni is an actual hero. He is flying. I like superheroes such as Toni not superheroes that behave like machines.
DandMMothers
Currently Reading: King Donald Khrump
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dandmmothers.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by DandMMothers »

From an adults view like my own, he may not br a supper hero. In the eyes of a child it teaches them that they can be supper in more ways than one and thats whats important.
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

Definitely he us the hero. The author has proved this through the characterization.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Bushra Nasim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bushra-nasim.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Bushra Nasim »

In my opinion, the most important thing for any superhero is his willpower and enthusiasm to do good deeds, and if Toni has this element, then no doubt that he is a superhero.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Honestly, I appreciate the concept, but I feel like it would've been executed much better if Toni had been shown to do actual superhero activities in addition to his housework/chores. I'm not sure young children would understand the symbolism.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I just hope the costume doesn't undermine the ultimate goal of inspiring children to do good in their own homes and communities.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Even if the book does not focus on Toni's powers he's a superhero cause he's a good example to his peers.
Rain18
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 »

I love that kids are less complicated than adults and retain the ability to believe without questioning. It's such a shame that as adults we lose our imagination and creativity. Superheroes don't have to possess superpowers - laser vision, super strength, ability to fly. They just need to have a strong passion for wanting to help others, to save the world, to make life better. So in that vein, of course Toni is a superhero. He's a young superhero now and he's doing the things that he can do at such a young age. But as he grows and matures, he'll do bigger things - who knows, maybe he'll open a school for disadvantaged children in Cleveland like Lebron James. For now, he's making a difference with all the young people who believe in him and believe that they too can be superheroes one day. Give the kids a cape and let them do what kids do best. Won't they surprise us everytime!!!
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark
Kannike
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kannike »

Toni had superhero activities with super powers ,which had he have great ability as well.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

In his own little ways, he is. A lot of kids now a days, forgot to do or refuse to do their chores. This is upsetting their parents or guardian. Toni, is a good kid who helps her mom everyday and that's what super hero do, help people who needed to be helped.
Bon0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bon0.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Bon0 »

I think that maybe the word 'superhero' is used metaphorically. The book sounds intriguing.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Tony is surely a superhero. To be a superhero you just need to believe it
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:34 I had the same thoughts as you. I didn't think he was an actual superhero. I think he dressed like one, and because he did all of his chores and was such a good kid, it made him a superhero.
So the message to kids is that if you're a good kid, you can be anything. Maybe?
Your question has the answer. It is for the adult to interpret it to the child that you are more than a superhero - you only have to be kind to animals and responsible about your things ( toys ).
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

Rain18 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 17:12 I love that kids are less complicated than adults and retain the ability to believe without questioning. It's such a shame that as adults we lose our imagination and creativity. Superheroes don't have to possess superpowers - laser vision, super strength, ability to fly. They just need to have a strong passion for wanting to help others, to save the world, to make life better. So in that vein, of course Toni is a superhero. He's a young superhero now and he's doing the things that he can do at such a young age. But as he grows and matures, he'll do bigger things - who knows, maybe he'll open a school for disadvantaged children in Cleveland like Lebron James. For now, he's making a difference with all the young people who believe in him and believe that they too can be superheroes one day. Give the kids a cape and let them do what kids do best. Won't they surprise us everytime!!!
I agree with your views.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:33 When I read the book, I felt that Toni wasn’t a superhero, he was a little boy with a superhero costume. Her probably believes that he is a superhero and he probably believes that he can fly. However, from a parent’s point of view, he is a superhero because he is such a good, healthy and happy boy.
Did you think he was a superhero?
On the back cover, Toni is depicted flying in the sky.

On the front cover, he is depicted using a broom and a cat to balance plates, fruit, boots and a circus ball.

I'm not aware of too many ordinary little boys who merely dress in superhero costumes who can do all of that.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”