What did you think of the Rape threats in the novel?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

What did you think of the Rape threats in the novel?

Post by FictionLover »

I have to say that I was disturbed with Scordato's constant fixation with raping Angela. I found it gross and creepy. Also, in the time stream of Gerhard and Sophia, one of the German soldiers wants to rape Sophia.

I know rape is a common 'motif' in war novels, but I thought it was overdone. Is this something that is used in romance novels?

I could do without it, and I think the book would be just as good if Scordato didn't harp on it, or if he used some other kind of threat. What do you think?[bn=][/bn]
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I didn't have any issue with the idea of rape being included in the novel, but I agree it was probably overdone. Once the reader knows it is something on Scordato's mind, I don't feel like they need to be constantly reminded of it.
taffylee81
Favorite Book: King of Ashes
Currently Reading: Scales of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taffylee81.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by taffylee81 »

Maybe the author thought including the threats in the novel would add to the character development? That type of thing can easily be overdone tho and have the opposite effect to what the author intends.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

JHuschle519 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 00:45 I didn't have any issue with the idea of rape being included in the novel, but I agree it was probably overdone. Once the reader knows it is something on Scordato's mind, I don't feel like they need to be constantly reminded of it.
That was my thought, too. Thanks for the reply.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

taffylee81 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 04:50 Maybe the author thought including the threats in the novel would add to the character development? That type of thing can easily be overdone tho and have the opposite effect to what the author intends.
That is possible.

I have read other reviews where the reviewers thought that Angela and Alex were well-developed characters. I didn't, they seemed a bit on the superficial side, especially Alex. I don't read romance, but he seemed to be based off Christian Gray: wealthy without having to obviously work; good taste in cars, clothes, design and food; owns exquisite properties in fantastic places, etc.. But as I said I don't read romance, and I don't know how deep they usually go into their characters.

As for Scortado, he was a one-note villain and not developed at all. At the end, I was kind of satisfied to find out he was a reincarnation, too. It brought it all together, except for his viciousness and misogyny.

:tiphat:
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I found rape threats to be completely unnecessary, and they ruined my enjoyment of reading the book when in that section. Rape threats form part of sexual violence, as it constitutes sexual harassment, especially in South Africa.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Kaytegrace_227
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kaytegrace_227 »

I thought they were too much. In fact, I almost gave up on reading the book because they were thrown in to the story so carelessly. Like it was the only tool a villain has against a female character. It brought up the interesting angle of the work place harassment as a tie in to the reincarnation, I suppose... but there were definitely better (and more tasteful) ways to get that point across.
mredmond626
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mredmond626.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by mredmond626 »

It was not necessary to continually harp on what was on Scordato's mind. The reader surely understands his motives within the first chapter. Carrying his character through the past scenes helped solidify his "bad guy" persona, but did nothing to build his character.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I have only read the review but I have read several books lately that seem to address rape related issues insensitively. I find it unnecessary. There are other ways to convey a violent character.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

Same here, I find it a lot. Sometimes it is integral to the story and sometimes not. In this story, I don't think it was necessary.

In the last book I reviewed the main female character was raped by a minister when 16 and because he plied her with alcohol she has no recollection how she becomes pregnant.

I think in some stories they are using it to explain either a vulnerability or strength in a female character.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Hmm... Interesting question. I didn't think about it like that. But while reading, although somewhat senseless, I was thinking that the author's intent was to bring further attention to the "time's up" and "me too" movements, with regard to harassment in the workplace.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

If rape is integral to the story, as in The Pillars of the Earth, then I am fine with it. Constant references I find to be very tedious and unnecessary.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

The repetition of it, from my perspective, is to get the creepy obnoxious feeling from Scordato. He is supposed to be portrayed as a creepy sociopathic killer obsessed with rape and domination of women. If the author only said he wanted to have his way with her only once, it would not have had the same effect. It wouldn't show his obsession. It would just seem like a passing thing he wanted to do, but no longer an obsession.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I'll agree that it was a bit much. We already get what kind of a scumbag Scordato is. It gets a little disgusting that it is mentioned so much throughout the book. Less is more, after all.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

During war major possibilities occur related to the violence, extreme issues and rapes. Although the army of each country is the boundary wall for it and is the protector for it after God but at the moments of wars ,this character of soldiers is mostly disliked by myself.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”