Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Re: Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I agree. With all that explicit sex, yes Angela should have been pregnant. And I further think the story couldn't get any worst.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

HouseOfAtticus wrote: โ†‘12 Jul 2018, 11:27 I'm tired of pregnancy stories. I can do without one.
Believe it or not, I hardly read stories which have to do with pregancy, so I was all gung-ho for one with Alex Angela! Maybe they're not too exciting when I think about what a story like that would largely consist of (baby care and probably less action?). I can see where you're coming from... ๐Ÿ˜‚
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

ValBookReviews wrote: โ†‘17 Jul 2018, 06:45 I agree. With all that explicit sex, yes Angela should have been pregnant. And I further think the story couldn't get any worst.
It just seemed like the story would surely flow in that direction, no? I definitely have formed an agreement with the others in this forum who understand that pregancies are sometimes much more complex than what we make them seem, but with how easily everything seemed to be (and how much they went at it) pregancy just seemed like the only way for the story to progress after some point.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ๐Ÿ”ฅ
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: โ†‘12 Jul 2018, 05:25
Tamorie21 wrote: โ†‘11 Jul 2018, 11:57
Yeah, that's what I was thinking after I finished it. I mean, I definitely enjoyed the cliffhanger as it was, but I think I was just expecting something else (like most people do when they've reached a cliffhanger). Although, since they didn't speak of pregnancy in this book, it makes me excited for the next book because what if their child is connected to the whole mystery also (me spouting conspiracy theories now :lol2: )?
Oooh! I sense the beginnings of a fan theory ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

I'm good at coming up with theories with absolutely no real context to work from. I theorize that Angela's (not-yet-conceived) baby will actually be the past life of some new character and Angela will have to figure out who her own baby is in the next book ๐Ÿ˜‚
Cara Van Heerden wrote: โ†‘12 Jul 2018, 05:25
Tamorie21 wrote: โ†‘11 Jul 2018, 12:05
Fiction is always a toss-up. It's enjoyable but then there are those instances where you cock your head to the side and the book leaves you thinking for minutes on end :lol2: I agree, the take away is, the book was still enjoyable haha
Yeah, I agree! But then those times it does make you think are awesome too because it means you are growing as a person because of what you just read. Books are amazing. They just are ๐Ÿ˜
You know, I love feeling like I've learned something important through a book. You're right, books are amazing :D
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

samiam013 wrote: โ†‘15 Jul 2018, 12:59 There was a line in the book which referred to the use of protection and Alex not caring if Angela did get pregnant. So, I do believe a baby will be in the works maybe by the next book. It seems as though it is the next step due to the past life passages we read in book one.
Agreed! It makes wondering about the contents of the next book quite fun, doesn't it? I have so many thoughts already :)
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

v i n wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2018, 06:55 both Floretta and Sophia tales ended up with pregnancy and birth. i was shocked to find out at the end that Angela never get pregnant, given that her sex life with Alex never recorded any history of protection.
The book only covers a span of about a week. So, the likelihood of Angela getting pregnant in that small frame of time is minimal and even if she were pregnant, she wouldn't have found out that quickly.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I don't think it is reasonable to expect Angela to have conceived or known she was pregnant given the very brief span of time this book covered. I can't remember if it was a week or a month maybe.

Either way, a baby would sure put a damper on Alex and Angela's adventures. You can't just travel all around Italy, being chased by bad guys, with a baby in tow.

Alex and Angela barely knew each other, so I was already flabber-gasted by their ridiculously fast-paced relationship. Throwing a baby into it would just irritate me more. It wouldn't be unrealistic though. Real-life works out that way sometimes.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

kfwilson6 wrote: โ†‘19 Jul 2018, 08:26 I don't think it is reasonable to expect Angela to have conceived or known she was pregnant given the very brief span of time this book covered. I can't remember if it was a week or a month maybe.

Either way, a baby would sure put a damper on Alex and Angela's adventures. You can't just travel all around Italy, being chased by bad guys, with a baby in tow.

Alex and Angela barely knew each other, so I was already flabber-gasted by their ridiculously fast-paced relationship. Throwing a baby into it would just irritate me more. It wouldn't be unrealistic though. Real-life works out that way sometimes.
Yeah, the time frame was more along the lines of a month, and I totally see where you're coming from. I also attributed their love story to a Romeo and Juliet-type scene as soon as I realized that they were head-over-heels within just about a day or two. I also found this ridiculous! ๐Ÿ˜‚ But I also figured that the story would make a significant jump in time; I measured the book's time frame closely since the author gave the time such importance. I thought, based on the novel, she would accommodate for a baby, given all the actions/situations leading up to one.

Though, since the book turned out to be only the first part of a series, it does make sense that Alex and Angela's story doesn't make a full round in only the first story. It wouldn't leave anything more for the next one!
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

It is never discussed that whether Angela used birth control or not. It seems to me that there will be more books regarding Alex and Angela so may be she will be pregnant in the second book.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I think it would only be proper if she conceived by virtue of being one of the leading characters.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primroseโ€™s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar

Post by Vscholz »

I anticipated her getting pregnant, and the incredible amount of apparently unprotected sex, but I'm glad that it didnt happen in the book. I would have been a bit too disappointed if the pregnancy was announced in the book simply because it would be a bit cliche. Two of the things that romance novels dont address (in my experience) are the use of protection and the possibility of STDs.

Angela obviously isn't in a place where she would be able to tackle motherhood (maturity, financially... if it doesn't work with Alex for some reason), and I don't know about Alex. Even if they are soulmates, it would just seem too convenient. I might be a little jaded, though.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

garima597 wrote: โ†‘19 Jul 2018, 12:11 It is never discussed that whether Angela used birth control or not. It seems to me that there will be more books regarding Alex and Angela so may be she will be pregnant in the second book.
Alex very briefly played with the idea of Angela being on birth control, but he never actually verbally mentioned it. The two of them seemed to never concern themselves with the possible aftereffects of their actions! It was a bit bewildering ๐Ÿ˜… We'll see what Ami brings in the next book~!
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Vscholz wrote: โ†‘20 Jul 2018, 00:32 I anticipated her getting pregnant, and the incredible amount of apparently unprotected sex, but I'm glad that it didnt happen in the book. I would have been a bit too disappointed if the pregnancy was announced in the book simply because it would be a bit cliche. Two of the things that romance novels dont address (in my experience) are the use of protection and the possibility of STDs.

Angela obviously isn't in a place where she would be able to tackle motherhood (maturity, financially... if it doesn't work with Alex for some reason), and I don't know about Alex. Even if they are soulmates, it would just seem too convenient. I might be a little jaded, though.
Right? The book naturally caused readers to expect a pregnancy, even if we don't particularly want or care for it. The play of events (both historically and between her relationship with Alex) seemed to lead to an "it's-only-natural" pregancy. Also, I don't read romance novels much but I can see how that could be extremely concerning and completely unrealistic. While most novels are supposed to be fictional, I still find it important to uphold a certain degree of realistic reliability.

By the way, I agree with you about Angela's probable unreadiness in terms of parenthood~~ but I do suspect that you've probably been jaded by too many clichรฉs on romance novels ๐Ÿ˜‚
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

I agree with the other comments that Angela is probably already pregnant but it's too soon to tell. Maybe we'll find out in book 2.....
emkinney4
Currently Reading: Scrappy Little Nobody
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emkinney4.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by emkinney4 »

I agree that Angela being pregnant is definitely a possibility, and while I'm not sure if the timeframe lines up, it would be an interesting plot if there were to be a second book.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Amiโ€