Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Re: Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Post by Surakshita-11 »

It is perfect elaboration of what today people are lacking in their love life due to inclusion of internet and social media
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I think the romance between these couples was very similar. They do not have control over how they felt about each other. Their love was filled with lots of passion. I do not think this has changed across time.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I think nowadays technology and social media has played a big factor. It's easier for people to meet and form connections.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

Romance at its core remains the same. Think about the likes of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. That story is considered timeless because its elements of love and tragedy can literally be inserted into any time period. So, love really does remain the same in a lot of ways. It can be the classic "boy meets girl" story, but what makes things different is the circumstances around the love story.

In the past, woman were treated very differently. That affects how romance happened back then and in books like this BOTM.

A lot of those "proper" ways to date and marry seem to be lost in present day romance. Everybody's story is different but it seems not many even think of asking permission from the girl's parents or the social shame of divorce. While some good traditions were lost, woman are also treated more as equals to men in today's society and that adds a pro to romance as couples can now become teams instead of a hierarchy.

So, all-in-all, I might say modern romance is better because of more emphasis on equality, but both past and present romance have pros and cons.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

I think romance is very similar to how it was in older times. As many have already pointed out, it has even become easier now that technology has evolved. People can now connect with others that are like them and potentially form a romantic bond between them. Even though the culture and social circumstances of the times have changed, I think the core idea of romance has remained the same over time.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I think it depends. If you are thinking about feelings then, I believe, they remain the same. But given to the different social constructs of different time periods our vision of what romance is and what we should expect about it differs. Also, if we consider the different rules and social normatives the experience of what romance is may change.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

scratchcat318 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 19:43 I think romance is very similar to how it was in older times. As many have already pointed out, it has even become easier now that technology has evolved. People can now connect with others that are like them and potentially form a romantic bond between them. Even though the culture and social circumstances of the times have changed, I think the core idea of romance has remained the same over time.
In addition to forming relationships through technology, some people have been known to fall in love online even though they live on other sides of the world. In that way, romance's becoming more about falling in love with who the person is rather than what they look like.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 09:23
scratchcat318 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 19:43 I think romance is very similar to how it was in older times. As many have already pointed out, it has even become easier now that technology has evolved. People can now connect with others that are like them and potentially form a romantic bond between them. Even though the culture and social circumstances of the times have changed, I think the core idea of romance has remained the same over time.
In addition to forming relationships through technology, some people have been known to fall in love online even though they live on other sides of the world. In that way, romance's becoming more about falling in love with who the person is rather than what they look like.
That's absolutely true. I think in that way, romance has become easier to attain through technology since it allows people to build deeper connections with one another. I think that's a really sweet way of looking at it. Obviously, it would still be difficult to maintain a relationship through technology if your partner happened to live on the other side of the world, but it would still definitely be doable if enough effort was put in. :)
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

scratchcat318 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 10:39
Cara Van Heerden wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 09:23
That's absolutely true. I think in that way, romance has become easier to attain through technology since it allows people to build deeper connections with one another. I think that's a really sweet way of looking at it. Obviously, it would still be difficult to maintain a relationship through technology if your partner happened to live on the other side of the world, but it would still definitely be doable if enough effort was put in. :)
Yes, I find stories like that are so amazing and so so cute when the couple is finally united. Imagine falling in love without ever seeing the person in real life. I read about a couple who had been "dating" online for over two years. They even planned to be married. Then, finally, they were able to scrap some money together to meet each other halfway in a train station. When they saw each other for the first time, they said it was "love at first sight for real." They were both crying so much. And that's a true story.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I agree with the person who has posted before me. With freedom of choice, there is more autonomy now, and hence more enrichment.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I feel that that is true. There is greater autonomy today.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I think romance is different now. I don't know if it is necessarily a good or bad thing. There are good and bad things with both. Today, most people have a wider variety of people to choose from and many options to meet others than in the past. In the past, there were probably very few suitors to choose from, and usually there was a family choosing who you dated. However, today's dating isn't all that great either. People take for granted romance and people. A lot of romance is more about hooking up. In the past, romance was alive, people were courted. So, I think it is a mixed bag of good and bad in both timelines.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

HouseOfAtticus wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 11:33 I agree with the person who has posted before me. With freedom of choice, there is more autonomy now, and hence more enrichment.
Why thank you 😀
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I think romance is different now that it used to be in some ways. Now, there are less limitations on who is allowed to date, according to society or cultural norms. What might have been looked down upon back then,wouldn't be an issue now.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

SereneCharles wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 07:34 I don't see much difference in romance between then and now. It has always been filled with wild thoughts/actions and stomach full of butterflies (at least thats how i see it). Its the same now, but taken more advantage of than in the past. People form romantic relationships without any real romance, probably for the money in it.
I agree with you but I must add that something is indeed different. Different time periods have different norms and different social constructs and maybe this affect the way people experience romance. It's the same but it's also different in a way.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”