Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Romance and time-how is romance different now?

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Probably close to the same. Although I miss snail mail. Was a little nicer when times were a lot less technical.
:techie-studyingbrown:
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think there is a big difference especially when you hear your parents say during our time a man used to properly date a girl not with how you young people do nowadays.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Romance in 2018 is no different from romance in ancient times. It's just that finding true love, these days, is difficult. A lot of people get into relationships now for selfish reasons.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Yes, I think romance is different in 2018, simply because people are different. Since the women's liberation movement, it appears to be an entire generation of women that are no longer focus and interest in romance. And, that's sad.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

The time changes everything so it also do change romance. In the past, people were more secretive about their feelings. They did not disclose them to anyone but now, showing romantic feelings towards each other is considered normal.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
emkinney4
Currently Reading: Scrappy Little Nobody
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emkinney4.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by emkinney4 »

I think that the modern relationship is different in some ways, because for much of history marriage was rooted in patriarchy– it was not the unity of two equals, but an unhealthy power dynamic that expected men to be dominant and women to submit to their demands. Elements of that dynamic still exist, especially depending on where you live, but the social norm now leans more towards equal partnerships, with both people working, cleaning, raising kids, paying, etc.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I do not think there's much difference between the romance of today and that of the days long gone. It is viewed as a sweetener to relationships.
AnorakFr0st
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anorakfr0st.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by AnorakFr0st »

Morganncall wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 14:33 There are some great couples in this book from three different time periods Fioretta Gorini and Giuliano de Medici, Sophia Caro and the German officer Gerhard Jaeger, and Angela Renatus and Alex Caine. Each have their own story and their own kind of love, but are their stories that different? is romance different in 2018 than it was in the other time periods? if yes, how, and do you think that it's a bad thing that it is different?
Romance has been around since the beginning of time it seems. Through research and of course reading romance novels throughout the ages, I do see a small difference. The difference I see is not the romance itself, but the way that it is found and shared. Nowadays, almost everything is done over electronics, including most dating. Back before phones and online dating were a thing, people met face-to-face and fell in love that way. Which resulted in them going out for dates and not worrying about anything other than who their with. Nowadays, you can meet people through an app and that is how you keep in touch. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, I'm just pointing out the huge difference between how romance happened then and now. :techie-studyinggray:
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I do feel like romance now is definitely different from what it was in other time periods XD The whole dating-app thing is changing the game, for one thing. But also, different people perceive love differently even within the same time period, right? I know people who think it's possible to get in a relationship with someone without really having feelings for them at first (with the expectation that feelings develop over the course of the relationship), and others who can't imagine ever agreeing to even a date without first having feelings for the other person. So yeah, love and romance and our perceptions of it have definitely changed over time, but then again, people living in the same time period may not even have the same expectations in the first place :P
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I think it depends with how individuals want it to look like but majority love it rough, and that shocks me.
No Wahala
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

I don't think this story was a great example to use to contrast love now and how it was in different time periods. In this story, everyone had one thing on their mind, past and present.....
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

There is no much change in romance today to that of the days long gone. The only exception is that today, romance emanates from both parties in a relationship.
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

I think romance is constantly changing because the ways we communicate is different. Today we communicate more through electronic means but we still communicate through writing like they did in the past it is just more instant now. I think meeting people and finding love is both easier and harder in the present because communicating is easier but there is also an often overwhelming sense of how many people are in the world.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I have not read the book yet, but like rain and tax, romance will always be a constant, no matter the age (i hope).
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

Morganncall wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 14:33 There are some great couples in this book from three different time periods Fioretta Gorini and Giuliano de Medici, Sophia Caro and the German officer Gerhard Jaeger, and Angela Renatus and Alex Caine. Each have their own story and their own kind of love, but are their stories that different? is romance different in 2018 than it was in the other time periods? if yes, how, and do you think that it's a bad thing that it is different?
Is romance different in 2018 than it was in other time periods? This is a really difficult question to answer. As Voltaire said, first we must define the terms. What do you mean by romance? Love? Courtship? Attraction? Marriage?

I don't think that romance itself is different. A young couple riding in a carriage to some secluded spot is not intrinsically different from a young couple riding on a moped to some secluded spot. A modern man asking a women's father for her hand is still a romantic gesture. But there's the distinction: it is simply a gesture, not a requirement. And if a father says no, how much weight does that "no" carry? Nowadays, there are fewer obstacles. It is easier for a couple to be together, and because it's easier, relationships are often untested, not necessarily a good thing.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”