Do you think Belle Ami will write more books around Angela and Alex?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Re: Do you think Belle Ami will write more books around Angela and Alex?

Post by DorcasToo »

I haven't read this book yet but I think its best as a stand alone. Though Amazon states it as first in a series it will need lots of research to come up with a strong series.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I thought the ending was so tacked on -- "Oh, by the way, you have second sight," that her sole purpose for including it was to prepare for other books. I don't think it was necessary; I mean the opulent lives of an art detective and art historian are fascinating enough without the supernatural elements. She could write more books about their investigations into historical works and I'd read it far more avidly than the second sight plot line. But yes, I think she will write more books about Angela and Alex.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Jkhorner wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 10:13 I thought the ending was so tacked on -- "Oh, by the way, you have second sight," that her sole purpose for including it was to prepare for other books. I don't think it was necessary; I mean the opulent lives of an art detective and art historian are fascinating enough without the supernatural elements. She could write more books about their investigations into historical works and I'd read it far more avidly than the second sight plot line. But yes, I think she will write more books about Angela and Alex.
I feel the same way. The jobs of art detective and art historian sound very interesting. I would have preferred it if the series showcased Alex and Angela's job skills.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

I thought I read that this was book one of a series. I believe there could be more books to follow. Each couple in their past lives we're expecting a baby so I was surprised when Angela didn't become pregnant in this book. Also, Maria seems like she may help Angela control her gift and maybe use it to recover more art.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

ccrews0408 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 06:48 I thought I read that this was book one of a series. I believe there could be more books to follow. Each couple in their past lives we're expecting a baby so I was surprised when Angela didn't become pregnant in this book. Also, Maria seems like she may help Angela control her gift and maybe use it to recover more art.
Interesting! I think that would have made an already busy plot even busier if Angela became pregnant. Hopefully, the next book in the series will focus more on the detective side of recovering artwork instead of Angela being taken over by past lives.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Pretty sure there's more coming, although I rolled my eyes when I read the ending - and how it leads to a second book. I thought it was stretching Angela's "abilities" a bit much. It sorta made sense that she knew stuff about this missing painting since she WAS the girl in the painting, apparently. But other paintings... but to "know" more unknowns about other historical events from paintings... that's a different type of ability.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ccrews0408 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 06:48 I thought I read that this was book one of a series. I believe there could be more books to follow. Each couple in their past lives we're expecting a baby so I was surprised when Angela didn't become pregnant in this book. Also, Maria seems like she may help Angela control her gift and maybe use it to recover more art.
Well the course of the book was only about a week so even if she got pregnant she wouldn't have had time to realize it! Interesting thought though. I hadn't considered that. It would be hard to have a baby with the very busy lifestyle it seems like Alex and Angela are going to have.

I think in a sequel we will learn a lot more about Maria. I think she will make a great secondary character.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Jkhorner wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 10:13 I thought the ending was so tacked on -- "Oh, by the way, you have second sight," that her sole purpose for including it was to prepare for other books. I don't think it was necessary; I mean the opulent lives of an art detective and art historian are fascinating enough without the supernatural elements. She could write more books about their investigations into historical works and I'd read it far more avidly than the second sight plot line. But yes, I think she will write more books about Angela and Alex.
Although I typically enjoy reading about characters with special abilities, I felt like Ami could have approached the ability to view past lives in a manner that would have been more enjoyable to readers. I wish there had been more focus on actual "detective" work rather than relying on a special ability that just happened to crop up at the right moment.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

DorcasToo wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 02:01 I haven't read this book yet but I think its best as a stand alone. Though Amazon states it as first in a series it will need lots of research to come up with a strong series.
I agree. I really enjoyed how much of the history included in this book turned out to be factual. I think readers will expect the same attempt at historical accuracy in follow-up novels.

This book would easily work as a standalone. Although the end leaves the reader expecting a sequel, nothing from the first book is left unfinished, which I like.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:14 Pretty sure there's more coming, although I rolled my eyes when I read the ending - and how it leads to a second book. I thought it was stretching Angela's "abilities" a bit much. It sorta made sense that she knew stuff about this missing painting since she WAS the girl in the painting, apparently. But other paintings... but to "know" more unknowns about other historical events from paintings... that's a different type of ability.
I also wonder how Angela's visions will be explained in the next installment. I mean, is she going to continue to have a stream of past lives?! :roll: If her visions are explained instead as the character having psychic abilities, that wouldn't be consistent with the information in this first book.
greenstripedgiraffe

bookowlie wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 16:56
greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:14 Pretty sure there's more coming, although I rolled my eyes when I read the ending - and how it leads to a second book. I thought it was stretching Angela's "abilities" a bit much. It sorta made sense that she knew stuff about this missing painting since she WAS the girl in the painting, apparently. But other paintings... but to "know" more unknowns about other historical events from paintings... that's a different type of ability.
I also wonder how Angela's visions will be explained in the next installment. I mean, is she going to continue to have a stream of past lives?! :roll: If her visions are explained instead as the character having psychic abilities, that wouldn't be consistent with the information in this first book.
Exactly!
greenstripedgiraffe

Truth! I've never even heard of an art detective before, and learning more about that field, as well as about more artwork would be very interesting to me. But, I think the whole idea is light romance, and it's easier to work with unexplained events than heavy historical fiction.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:21
Truth! I've never even heard of an art detective before, and learning more about that field, as well as about more artwork would be very interesting to me. But, I think the whole idea is light romance, and it's easier to work with unexplained events than heavy historical fiction.
The author's previous books are focused on suspense/erotic romance so that is what she is familiar with. I do agree the art world is a topic that would be an absorbing backdrop without wrapping it up within the paranormal stuff. Still, there are tons of readers that love, love, love the paranormal genre. While I am not one of them, I think erotic romance and paranormal elements appeal to many readers. There are just as many readers who don't like heavy historical fiction such Dan Brown's novel. That's why there are always big sections of summer/beach reads in bookstores. :)
greenstripedgiraffe

Bookowlie - I agree with this. I think the problem was mostly in expecting historical fiction and finding romance :D There are plenty who would find a lot of appeal in Ami's book.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

SweetMelissaV2131 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 12:44 This is the first book I've read by Belle Ami so I am not familiar with her style or other books but I can't help but wonder if she plans on turning this book into the first book of a series. What are your thoughts?

I think with the way she ended this book that it might be possible. I tend to get attached to the characters in books and movies and am always wanting more stories to develop surrounding them.

I just thought I would throw this thought out there and see what everyone else thought about the idea.

My understanding is that The Girl Who Knew da Vinci is the first book of the Out of Time Thriller Series. So, yes, I expect more books about them.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”