On Office Sexual Harassment

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: On Office Sexual Harassment

Post by ems2 » 15 Sep 2018, 17:43

Reporting sexual harassment is never easy, and I sympathize with her. However, the question about the others in the work environment who may be subject to similar episodes comes to mind. Of course, it is easy for me to say this without having to endure any consequences. I think I would try to persuade others in the office to confront the boss as a group.

Rain18
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Concealment
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rain18.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Rain18 » 16 Sep 2018, 21:27

Angela was not weak for being victimized. Too many females that find themselves in these predicaments feel as if they are hopeless and do not know where to go for help. They fear that if they say anything, things will only get worse for them - including the possibility of losing their jobs. So often they suffer in silence until they can quit and move on. Angela felt like her dream job was at stake. Her chance to make it in the art world, she thought, was worth putting up with her scumbag boss. That is, until it wasn't. Then she quit. That's strength.
Rain18
“Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man’s growth without destroying his roots.”
– Frank A. Clark

CasualBookReader
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: How to be a writer: Building your creative skills through practice and play
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casualbookreader.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by CasualBookReader » 21 Sep 2018, 12:41

Zain A Blade wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 14:21
I found the author to be astute in her portrayal of sexual predators. The antics employed by Dr. Alberto Scordato to subdue his potential victim, Angela, were at times subtle such as alternating between putting her down and showing false concern; and at times his maneuvers were quite overt and physical. One thing's sure: none of it was lost on Angela. Understandably, it is not easy to ward off sexual harassment, especially if it's coming from a person who can make or break your career. Given her circumstances, do you think Angela's initial forbearance of Dr. Scordato's sexual advances to save her career is a measure of character weakness or strength?
I think the portrayal of the emotional turmoil that office sexual harassment causes is fairly accurate. As a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, I should know. The way Angela initially handles the harassment is typical for women who don't know how to handle a situation like that. It does show her weakness, especially with regard to the other female coworker that doesn't encourage Angela to report her boss to his immediate supervisor or at the very least, press criminal charges against him. I haven't finished reading the novel, but I hope that this experience is something that develops Angela's character into a stronger woman?

DC Brown
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 220
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by DC Brown » 21 Sep 2018, 20:41

I think Angela handled the situation as gracefully as she could, given the circumstances. It's a tough situation, and it's difficult to know how to handle it. There's always a lot on the line.
take warning: of making many books there is no end...Ec 12:12

Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Juliar252 » 23 Sep 2018, 09:10

I am conflicted on how Angela handled the situation. I felt she was strong for telling someone even though her career was at stake, but I felt the situation was a little glossed over and resolved too easily. I also didn't love how Alex was the one who truly handled the situation and I disliked how it was resolved with money rather than a trial. After all, there is no closure for other victims or an increase in public awareness for office sexual assault if the perpetrators are just quietly fired.

ianfrb77
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianfrb77.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ianfrb77 » 21 Oct 2018, 23:09

Rather than strength, it occurs to me that it's a matter of priorities. Sometimes a career can be above most things and people do a lot of stuff not to ruin it. That doesn't mean they are either strong or weak, though...
Transcendens. Humanitet. Ånd.

Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jsovermyer » 26 Oct 2018, 23:18

I think that Angela handled the problem well. She kept getting away from her boss' touch subtly. When he finally went too far, she quit.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”