Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Re: Why is da Vinci’s name on the cover?

Post by Riszell »

I agree with the marketing strategy as da Vinci captures many attention and interests as mine.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Titles are not always much related to the story, not because it might be a strategy to sell, but because it is an idea you should start the book with. That's my opinion, that the title should give you a feeling to keep in mind when you read, but it is not what the story is really about.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I think it definitely was a marketing strategy. While it may not have directly aimed to capitalise on the fame of The DaVinci Code, I think it's likely trying to capitalise on the fame of DaVinci in general.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Da Vinci is a very famous name that would attract the attention of millions of people to a book. I do not see anything unethical about using the name in the title. Besides, I think the author's creativity enabled the name to fit well as part of the title.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The popularity of da vinci and the art based plot would make it appropriate for the book to bear his name. The name is almost a byword for anything artistic and popular in the modern context.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Dael Reader wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:00 I wouldn't say there's anything unethical about it. The name is in the title because the "alleged" missing painting by da Vinci is a thread that holds the storylines together.
That's common thread as I understood it as well, but I have yet to read the book, so I don't have an informed opinion.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

It's definitely a marketing ploy, as is the first line in Amazon's blurb: "In the spirit of The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown". It's certainly meant to suggest that the book will appeal to readers who liked Dan Brown's book. It why I got the book.

Of course, I assumed it was hyperbole, that it would not be up to Brown's caliber. Probably better that they didn't try to match his writing style. Better to copy the title than the book.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Marketing strategy? Unethical? Nooooooooo......
By marketing 'strategy' do we mean just presenting the item to the market will not get the monetary gain looked for, so therefore we must have a 'strategy' to counteracting this? Perhaps if we put a similar cover on a similar named book of high monetary income, we will um ...'entice' readers who would not normally buy this book...hmmm I dunno..is deceiving such a small segment of the population for monetary gain....unethical??
I just love how corporate jargon has wormed its way into everyday language and gets so easily passed over as being ok because it's just...
Thank you for this discussion starter. I feel whole heartedly that the book cover choice was unethical. The novel's name, while not fitting and a further pull on the deception, could be justified based on the story. I also feel if a phrase like 'marketing strategy ' has to be attached to something it is already, by that definition, unethical.
Last edited by thaservices1 on 06 Jun 2018, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I believe using Da Vince's name is just a marketing strategy, however, I'm not sure if it's ethical or not because I'm not sure who is going to give the author the consent.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I don't see anything unethical with that. The name draws attention of the reader to the book, which is a good thing.
Cdeyoungde
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdeyoungde.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cdeyoungde »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:57 You may be right about that, but think of the resemblance between the cover of this book and that of Dan Brown's book. Such a resemblance coupled with da Vinci's name in the title induces the idea that the two books are similar. In this case, fans of Dan Brown would be quick to check it out. I did the same only to discover they are completely different in terms of the writing style as well as character and plot development. This is the reason why I called it a potential marketing strategy and I wondered whether it was ethical or not.
I think it is definitely a marketing strategy. I thought about this as well. Could the author have used a different title to describe the book? If so, would we have been as interested to read it? I don't think so. I think the cover and the title are clearly meant to draw readers in. I know we are not supposed to judge a book by its cover and title, but with so many books on the market, the first glance is all we have to go on many times when deciding on our next read. Fortunately, with websites such as this, individuals can rely on reviews to help them make decisions on which book they want to invest time to read. I truly appreciate all the reviews, and I have downloaded books that I would have passed over had I not read the review.
Attitude is the paintbrush with which we color our lives :lol2:
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Who knows? Maybe because of his art. But the author definitely knew she'd sell the book with that name on it.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Using Da Vinci's name is a great marketing strategy. His major connection to the story is that a painting by him is missing. That, in my opinion, is not enough to make him 'deserving' of being mentioned in the title, but it is a strategy that will help sell the book. I do not think it is legally unethical. However, I will not do it if I were the author.
Callistus Ibenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callistus-ibenye.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Callistus Ibenye »

Yes, I agree that the author might have used davinci's name as a marketing stategy to draw attention to his work , and I don't see anything unethical about that at all, as far as the contents of the book thereof is original.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

It probably was a marketing strategy, but since Da Vinci is tied into the storyline I wouldn’t consider it unethical.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”