Past-Life Regression

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Past-Life Regression

Post by bookowlie »

The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Past life regression itself is not real. So other things associated with that, either seeing as real or not, is up to the reader's mind to work out
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Well, the past-life interludes were not exactly realistic to me. In many instances, I had the impression Alex treated everything too carelessly and light-heartedly. Besides, he does not seem to have any problem in Angela kissing him during her trance episodes. Did you notice that the action takes place between August 3 and September 15? Let's say they were lovers in other lives and their instant connection is explainable as such. However, there are too many things happening too fast over a very short period of time. I would have liked the past-life episodes to be much more detailed for the story to gain credibility.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think the use of past-life regression is up to the reader's interpretation in deciding whether it is real or fantasy. Some people may believe that it is real and can be accomplished while others may scoff at the idea.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:32 The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
I think it definitely treads the line of fantasy. It's done in a way that is pretty generic, in my opinion, but I'm a fantasy nut.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I happen to believe that past life regression can be possible if the soul is eternal; however, I'm not talking about magic. The eyes moving takes it from a possibility to an improbability.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Reincarnation and past-life regression go hand in hand. I am Catholic, but I am open to those ideas because of our concept of purgatory as a place for cleansing in preparation for entering heaven. Going through many lives might be the purgatory that we believe in.

It is the quick solution that is bothersome. I also agree that the story could have spanned a longer time frame for the sake of realism. Falling hopelessly in love may happen overnight for some people, but I don't know if that's the norm.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

It depends who you ask about past life regression as to what they will say about reality or not. There are many who claim that it is possible and they practice it.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Mely918 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 17:10 I think the use of past-life regression is up to the reader's interpretation in deciding whether it is real or fantasy. Some people may believe that it is real and can be accomplished while others may scoff at the idea.
I agree. It's like those books where you wonder if a character is truly crazy or are they actually know something the rest of the characters don't. It's all up to the reader.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think the past life regression was included specifically to give the author the liberty to get into some of the fantasy elements. It was a little hokey at times, but I appreciated the creative efforts.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think past life regression is a topic which is not usually explored in writing, so I would give the author props for including this unique concept into the book. Maybe it was not too well written and came across differently to some readers, but again, the effort to include something out of the ordinary is appreciated.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

KristyKhem wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 11:50 I think past life regression is a topic which is not usually explored in writing, so I would give the author props for including this unique concept into the book. Maybe it was not too well written and came across differently to some readers, but again, the effort to include something out of the ordinary is appreciated.
I agree that the past-life regression angle was a unique topic to include in this book, especially as a plot device to help solve the mystery. I think it fit well within the overall plot, even though it was a bit overdone.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 18:12
bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:32 The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
I think it definitely treads the line of fantasy. It's done in a way that is pretty generic, in my opinion, but I'm a fantasy nut.
Generic! I can't think of a better way to describe it. What if Angela had been Gerard in her past life? Now that could have turned up the interesting factor in this book.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
ChrisChatfield
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrischatfield.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by ChrisChatfield »

Oftentimes past life regressions are none poorly because they don't explain to the reader, or viewer in the case of a movie, how it works. For example, how many past lives are you able to see/ remember?
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

JR Mercier wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 05:01
Mely918 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 17:10 I think the use of past-life regression is up to the reader's interpretation in deciding whether it is real or fantasy. Some people may believe that it is real and can be accomplished while others may scoff at the idea.
I agree. It's like those books where you wonder if a character is truly crazy or are they actually know something the rest of the characters don't. It's all up to the reader.
Ambiguity like that in books can make them very interesting to read if done right. It's usually books that are left open for interpretation that draw the most discussion.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”