Past-Life Regression

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Re: Past-Life Regression

Post by AmySmiles »

Definitely fantasy and kind of off putting to me in a way. I prefer books that stick to things that could happen, even if it may not be actually something that did happen. I'm not much for the unrealistic aspects in books.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

AmySmiles wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 09:01 Definitely fantasy and kind of off putting to me in a way. I prefer books that stick to things that could happen, even if it may not be actually something that did happen. I'm not much for the unrealistic aspects in books.
I am the same way. If there are paranormal aspects in a story, I would like them to be subtle rather than extremely obvious.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

thelittlelibrary wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 09:28
Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 14:18 As it was said before, it is all up to the reader. Considering that we are all surrounded by cyber-space, vampires, zombies, witches and all other supernatural beings and ultra-modern-technologies, both in books and in movies, it is hard to distinguish whether it is reality or fantasy. And I believe that once a reader is accustomed to these "outside" of the ordinary things, it will be very easy to consider the past regressions of Angela something normal.
Did you enjoy the supernatural elements of this book? I like the sound of cyber-space and ultra-modern technologies and I hope the author wrote about them well. Your comment has made me a lot more interested in the book! Thanks for sharing :D

The supernatural elements are the past regressions of Angela. What I meant by cyber-space, ultra modern technologies and supernatural elements like vampires, zombies and others, is that in the majority of the books we read nowadays we can find a one or more of these elements. That is why I believe that past regressions are not so supernatural anymore and they become kind of normal. Is just my opinion, because I am a reader who treats supernatural and modern technologies as something normal. You won't encounter many out of normal elements, or you may find a lot of them. It just depends on how familiar you are to these elements.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

CinWin wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 22:31 Everyone has a different belief system. If you don't belive in past-life regression you would probably think it hokey. However, if you do believe in it then it was handled quite well...in my humble opinion.
I don't believe in past life regression or ghosts, but I enjoy both in a book. I think when done well they can really add something to a story. I particularly enjoy Heather Graham's Krewe of Hunter series. Each character has the ability to see ghosts and that element always moves the story along. The difference is, Graham is able to actually lead her characters on a storyline that allows them to solve a case that is not solely dependent upon their spiritual interactions.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It all depends on the reader and how they wish to enjoy this read. If you switch the past regression into a realistic nature the chance of it been a thriller is high which will give a chilling reading experience. So this I will leave it to the opinions of different readers.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Past life regression is surely unreal. It doesn't exist in real life. I can equate it to being nostalgic about the past.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Past life regression is impossible, it simple all but an imagination and creation of a mind longing for the past.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:32 The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
It did seem to become more of a fantasy than anything when the painting began moving for only Alex and Angela. I also agree that Alex's acceptance was done way too quickly. More could have done here to make it less rushed.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:32 The concept of past-life regression is prevalent in this story. Was it handled in a realistic way or did it verge into fantasy? When the man's eyes started moving in the painting, I have to admit I started rolling my eyes. I also thought Alex was too quick to take Angela's experiences as fact.
The moving of the man's eyes in the painting was quite startling for me. I think it would be more on the fantasy side than realistic.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I personally don't believe in reincarnation, but I read some fiction books where past-life regression was done so well by the author, it very credible. Although I still enjoyed it, the reincarnation aspect was totally unrealistic.
I also asked myself how Alex could believe her immediately without any doubts, especially since they were complete strangers.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

While you've nailed the lack of subtlety that ruined this book for me, it was less about the magical (un)realism for me than it was about a lot of the mystery twists and reveals that were supposed to be suspenseful. They were full of obvious, eye-rolling moments.

Aside from the poorly written mystery moments, the worst magical realism moment was Alex's experience with the painting in the Getty.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

Past-life regression is one of those things that can be portrayed wildly differently depending on the author. Since it is a concept that isn't concrete, it can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Honestly, that's what makes it kind of fun to read!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Past-life regression definitely seemed to be an element of fantasy in this book. I would have appreciated it more had it been written more realistically. I'm of the same mind that Alex and Angela accepted the fact that they were reincarnated all too quickly.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Kmykel wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 00:22 Past-life regression is one of those things that can be portrayed wildly differently depending on the author. Since it is a concept that isn't concrete, it can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Honestly, that's what makes it kind of fun to read!
I think so too. I think that's why there are some topics I don't get bored with easily. Ghosts, psychic visions of any sort, mind reading, any kind of super power. Because, to me at least, none of these things are real I like to see how different authors can put a unique spin on each. Some are very creative and well done whereas others come across as cheesy and unbelievable.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 09:21 Past-life regression definitely seemed to be an element of fantasy in this book. I would have appreciated it more had it been written more realistically. I'm of the same mind that Alex and Angela accepted the fact that they were reincarnated all too quickly.
I'm still not really sure why they even jumped to reincarnation as quickly as they did at all. Not just accepting it, but even thinking that's what was happening and not just that they happened to have a special ability to link to someone from the past.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”