Paranormal Elements

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Post Reply
User avatar
Bonnie Shelby
Posts: 128
Joined: 12 May 2018, 20:07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Paranormal Elements

Post by Bonnie Shelby » 19 Jun 2018, 09:17

I was fine with the paranormal elements, I just wished it wasn't used to solve the mystery. Alex was supposed to be an art detective, yet he didn't seem to do any detecting. There could've been more suspense and intrigue if the whole plot didn't rely on Angela's visions alone.

User avatar
TaaraLynn
Posts: 188
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 08:05
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by TaaraLynn » 20 Jun 2018, 14:26

I'm all for paranormal in books, as long as it's used to further the plot and not just a device used for the plot. Paranormal that makes sense, is intriguing, and benefits the story, then yes.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

User avatar
Katherine Smith
Posts: 455
Joined: 30 Mar 2017, 10:56
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A
Location: California

Post by Katherine Smith » 20 Jun 2018, 14:39

I agree that without the paranormal elements it would have felt more like the DaVinci Code. I think that the story needed more mystery solving and less ghosts. I do believe that without the paranormal elements it would have become too serious.

User avatar
bclayton13
Posts: 167
Joined: 15 Jun 2018, 00:53
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: Beyond Denial by Juri Vancans

Post by bclayton13 » 23 Jun 2018, 23:52

This book definitely worked with the paranormal elements, I know I enjoyed it. But I do feel that it could have worked without it as well. It would have been a different book, in that the characters would have had to approach many of the situations differently, but still a really good one.

User avatar
lindsaysherlock
Posts: 35
Joined: 04 Jun 2018, 12:15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock » 24 Jun 2018, 13:17

I think it's kind of annoying when authors include paranormal aspects when they don't really add to the story. In the case of this book, I don't think it was necessary, but it wasn't done terribly either.

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 7339
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo by Tom J Davis

Post by bookowlie » 24 Jun 2018, 15:45

Katherine Smith wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:39
I agree that without the paranormal elements it would have felt more like the DaVinci Code. I think that the story needed more mystery solving and less ghosts. I do believe that without the paranormal elements it would have become too serious.
I also would have liked it if the story was lighter on the paranormal aspects. It would have been more serious, but I would that would have been better! It seemed like the past-life regression was a substitute for good, old-fashioned detective work.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

User avatar
greenstripedgiraffe
Posts: 758
Joined: 22 Oct 2015, 10:47
Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 27 Jun 2018, 12:37

I do think that the author worked this in fairly well, even though some of the scenes were a little unrealistic :) Even though I don't believe in past life regression, I don't mind reading about it.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1160
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: King's cage
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Louisiana

Post by kfwilson6 » 27 Jun 2018, 13:54

Bookmermaid wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 12:12
I understand your desire for more of Fioretta and Giuliano, they need a novel of their own.
Except we already know their ending and it wasn't a happy one :(
Other than that, I would have liked to have read so much more about them. Especially if Ami could have delved more into Leonardo da Vinci.

User avatar
greenstripedgiraffe
Posts: 758
Joined: 22 Oct 2015, 10:47
Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 27 Jun 2018, 14:33

kfwilson6 wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 13:54
Bookmermaid wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 12:12
I understand your desire for more of Fioretta and Giuliano, they need a novel of their own.
Except we already know their ending and it wasn't a happy one :(
Other than that, I would have liked to have read so much more about them. Especially if Ami could have delved more into Leonardo da Vinci.
More about Leonardo da Vinci would have been great! I agree with that whole-heartedly! Be fascinating to know more of the relationship with him and Fioretti, also. I wonder if that part was true, historically...
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1160
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: King's cage
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Louisiana

Post by kfwilson6 » 27 Jun 2018, 14:42

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 14:33
kfwilson6 wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 13:54
Bookmermaid wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 12:12
I understand your desire for more of Fioretta and Giuliano, they need a novel of their own.
Except we already know their ending and it wasn't a happy one :(
Other than that, I would have liked to have read so much more about them. Especially if Ami could have delved more into Leonardo da Vinci.
More about Leonardo da Vinci would have been great! I agree with that whole-heartedly! Be fascinating to know more of the relationship with him and Fioretti, also. I wonder if that part was true, historically...
In my brief online search of the characters I didn't come across anything about Fioretta or Giuliano knowing da Vinci but Giuliano's brother, Lorenzo, apparently nurtured da Vinci as an artist.

User avatar
Bluecobia
Posts: 323
Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 12:19
2018 Reading Goal: 26
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: Kiss my baggage fees by Rick Brown

Post by Bluecobia » 27 Jun 2018, 17:37

Given that past life regression is a main element of this book, I do not see where one should be upset with there being paranormal aspects. I enjoy a light paranormal twist in a story.

User avatar
Mouricia25
Posts: 267
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 15:49
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The China Connection by AjJ Basinski
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N
Location: Toyama, Japan

Post by Mouricia25 » 27 Jun 2018, 21:31

It was necessary to the story, because without it Alex would have died. But I actually liked it, and felt it made the story even more mysterious.

User avatar
Cristal2408
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 17:06
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 39
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE
Location: On my computer

Post by Cristal2408 » 28 Jun 2018, 00:11

The paranormal stuff was able to really jazz up the story, it is true that it contributed to Alex surviving and part of the story even if it wasn't really necessary.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
greenstripedgiraffe
Posts: 758
Joined: 22 Oct 2015, 10:47
Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 28 Jun 2018, 06:34

Bonnie Shelby wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 09:17
I was fine with the paranormal elements, I just wished it wasn't used to solve the mystery. Alex was supposed to be an art detective, yet he didn't seem to do any detecting. There could've been more suspense and intrigue if the whole plot didn't rely on Angela's visions alone.
HA! you're right, actually... I hadn't thought of that yet. :lol: So, Angela needed Alex to protect her, but Alex, the famed art detective, needed Angela to solve the mystery. hmm.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 7339
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo by Tom J Davis

Post by bookowlie » 28 Jun 2018, 13:05

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 06:34
Bonnie Shelby wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 09:17
I was fine with the paranormal elements, I just wished it wasn't used to solve the mystery. Alex was supposed to be an art detective, yet he didn't seem to do any detecting. There could've been more suspense and intrigue if the whole plot didn't rely on Angela's visions alone.
HA! you're right, actually... I hadn't thought of that yet. :lol: So, Angela needed Alex to protect her, but Alex, the famed art detective, needed Angela to solve the mystery. hmm.
What a great way to describe their roles in the story! The more we have been discussed the duo, I wonder if their respective roles will stay the same in Book #2. It would be nice to see more actual detective work as well as Angela being able to stand on her own two feet - I mean that figuratively and literally since she was lying unconscious half the time. :)
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”