Transitions Between Time Periods

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Re: Transitions Between Time Periods

Post by thaservices1 »

I didn't find it hard to follow the story. The time-jumps were spelled out and then analyzed by the characters after each one.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
ChrisChatfield
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrischatfield.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by ChrisChatfield »

Time jumps often help a novel to completely describe the 'scene' of a book, especially when there is a larger list of characters. It also makes a book more realistic because more-often-than-not all the important parts of a person's life don't directly line up with everyone else's important parts.
dgallois
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgallois.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by dgallois »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:12 There are frequent time jumps between time periods and settings in the story. Did you find the transitions hard to follow, considering the three distinctly different eras? I thought the author did a good job of using Angela's visions as a way to do the switches. Still, the plot became a little cluttered due to the detailed stories in each time period.
I agree with you. The story does get a bit cluttered but the way the author used the visions was smart.
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I kind of liked the transitions between the three periods at first. It added to the mystery and suspense of the book. I think it did become a bit much and sort of messy towards the end but was still done pretty well.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I’m really not a fan of frequent time jumps. I generally find it difficult stay engrossed in a story because of the disparity.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I like how the author transition between the time lines. I have not finished the book yet. I am thoroughly enjoying it though.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

It can be difficult keeping up with different time periods in history-based thrillers such as this. You do have to be on your toes when it comes to reading the headers at the beginning of each section or chapter where a significant time change occurs. I have no problem dealing with the different times, but I sometimes get lazy and skip over these headers, meaning I have to go back a minute later and check what year I am currently in!
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I personally did not have a problem switching between all of the different time periods. Angela's visions were a good medium by the author to transport the reader to different eras.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

I enjoyed the time jumps. I would have liked to have seen a little more details from the past stories but as others have commented, that probably would have caused more confusion for the readers.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

joshfee77 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 01:07 It can be difficult keeping up with different time periods in history-based thrillers such as this. You do have to be on your toes when it comes to reading the headers at the beginning of each section or chapter where a significant time change occurs. I have no problem dealing with the different times, but I sometimes get lazy and skip over these headers, meaning I have to go back a minute later and check what year I am currently in!
I found myself doing that also. I think I was so into the storyline that I forget to pay attention to those headers at the beginning of the chapters.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I believe the author made the transitions easy to follow. Although, if you go a few days without reading this book, it will take you a moment to remember the earlier description of the settings of each era. It did not take away from the impact of the book itself, in my opinion.
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

I personally love books that change time periods. It gives me more information about the past which makes it so that you can better understand characters.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I also believe the author did very well in writing using the time jumps. I did not find them difficult to get into while reading the book yet, in trying to create a review I had to refer back to the book and take more detailed notes of which occurrence happened during which time frame. But, compared to a lot of other books that I have read which consist of time jumps The Girl Who Knew da Vinci is among the top best written of that style.
Chelsea N. Hackett
kjarch1228
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjarch1228.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by kjarch1228 »

To me, the transitions were not difficult to follow. There were a lot of details to remember between the three different time periods but perhaps the blurring of the lines was intentional. Perhaps the author wanted readers to feel as Angela felt, not being able to draw distinct lines between the past and the present.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I really enjoyed the time jumps except for the last few of Sophia and Gerhard. I didn't like how they went back farther in time than previous time hops to them. I thought the transitions were done well and agree with those who said they wanted more detail from Fioretta and Sophia's lives. This book wasn't incredibly long so I think another 20 pages or so could have really added some depth to it.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”