Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Post by lesler »

I think the DaVinci element is meant to attract Da Vinci Code lovers, but this focus is more on art, and not religious symbolism.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

The Da Vinci Code is more of a conspiracy fiction and thriller while The Girl Who Knew da Vinci is more of a romantic detective thriller. They both have the same background (art, da Vinci, historical heritage), but different story line.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

NL Hartje wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 02:21 I suppose I’ve always compared books, but that’s more of a flaw in my nature than any real error of the authors.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci reminds me of Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code in so many ways.

First, there’s obviously the presiding canvas of art history, but then add that, in both books, the characters search for an item that has a questionable existence at best. There is also the aspect of fantastically changing settings as characters race against a clock.

Do you find similarities too, or am I fishing?

Do the similarities add or detract from the book for you?
Honestly, I've never read The Da Vinci Code. The only thing that would be similar for me would be the title. I would like to read The Da Vinci Code so that I could draw more in-depth parallels.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I do agree that there are some similarities between these two books especially the subject matter concerned is the art history (the painting). However, the writing style is way different. Dan Brown's writing is focused more on action, mystery and kinda more detailed about art history for a novel which reminded me of Goldfinch by Donna Tartt; whilst Belle Ami's writing is more with romance. Thus, Belle Ami's novel is more of the light reading than Dan Brown's.

Having read both of these books by Dan Brown and Belle Ami, it somehow gave me 2 distinguished views of art history: views from mystery genre, and view from romance genre. Same theme but different approach.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I feel like the two books certainly follow a similar literary trend. This reminds me of other "sub-genres," like vampire romance or what I've come to call "love triangle dystopia." It really comes down to how the authors distinguish their work, regardless of existing precedent, though some similarities are certainly there.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I don't believe there were too many similarities. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was a complex mystery; The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami was a romance novel first and foremost.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Yes, there are few similarities in both items like the same artist and connection of characters with the past. But overall the themes are different in different settings.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Besides a few similaries, the search for something missing and some settings, I'd say no, they cannot be compared, in my opinion. Entirely different stories and different themes.
Berry :wine:
Itameo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itameo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Itameo »

I personally dont think there is any similarities between these books aside from the "Da Vinci" I think Dan Brown book is more of mysteries and somewhat cryptic while Belle Ami's is more of a romance and fantasies.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I'm glad that this topic was made because I too wanted to know if anyone saw similarities between this and the Da Vinci Code. I've wanted to read the Da Vinci Code ever since I was a kid and my mom read it for her book club!
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I didn't really find a similarity; I'm a huge fan of the Da Vinci Code so I feel like I would've seen one. The characters in both definitely had some art-related obstacles but that's about it. Belle Ami's book is definitely a romance, through and through. Da Vinci Code, not so much. Personally I feel that Dan Brown just uses his books to quench his nerdy need to discuss symbology, which is fine by me.
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

For me the titles are the only glaring similarity, but I understand why people would think otherwise.
I suppose it's hard not to compare novels to each other nowadays. There's very few original ideas left.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

Initially, the book reminded me of the Da Vinci Code when choosing to read the book. After that, I believe the book stood alone by itself. While the book may have some similarities, I didn't find myself comparing the books while reading at all. Good question!
Silahmom
Currently Reading: The girl who dared to fight
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silahmom.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Silahmom »

I haven't read this book but I did ask the same question! I even wondered if it was the same author then of course I looked and saw it wasnt. I do not know if I will be able to get into this book its just not my type of book. Neither was the Da Vinci code.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Itameo wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 16:22 I personally dont think there is any similarities between these books aside from the "Da Vinci" I think Dan Brown book is more of mysteries and somewhat cryptic while Belle Ami's is more of a romance and fantasies.
You hit the nail on the head. :) The romance and paranormal elements are what make Belle Ami's book different. Different strokes for different folks. Some readers may prefer a lighter read like this one vs. Dan Brown's book which was a more complex mystery. At times Belle Ami's book seemed like of a mystery than a paranormal fantasy.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”