Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Post by lesler » 13 Jun 2018, 12:58

I think the DaVinci element is meant to attract Da Vinci Code lovers, but this focus is more on art, and not religious symbolism.

Nmesoma
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Nmesoma » 13 Jun 2018, 20:07

The Da Vinci Code is more of a conspiracy fiction and thriller while The Girl Who Knew da Vinci is more of a romantic detective thriller. They both have the same background (art, da Vinci, historical heritage), but different story line.

holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » 16 Jun 2018, 02:36

NL Hartje wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 02:21
I suppose I’ve always compared books, but that’s more of a flaw in my nature than any real error of the authors.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci reminds me of Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code in so many ways.

First, there’s obviously the presiding canvas of art history, but then add that, in both books, the characters search for an item that has a questionable existence at best. There is also the aspect of fantastically changing settings as characters race against a clock.

Do you find similarities too, or am I fishing?

Do the similarities add or detract from the book for you?
Honestly, I've never read The Da Vinci Code. The only thing that would be similar for me would be the title. I would like to read The Da Vinci Code so that I could draw more in-depth parallels.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: Vilette
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 17 Jun 2018, 02:47

I do agree that there are some similarities between these two books especially the subject matter concerned is the art history (the painting). However, the writing style is way different. Dan Brown's writing is focused more on action, mystery and kinda more detailed about art history for a novel which reminded me of Goldfinch by Donna Tartt; whilst Belle Ami's writing is more with romance. Thus, Belle Ami's novel is more of the light reading than Dan Brown's.

Having read both of these books by Dan Brown and Belle Ami, it somehow gave me 2 distinguished views of art history: views from mystery genre, and view from romance genre. Same theme but different approach.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ViziVoir
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: Baturi by Matthew Stephen

Post by ViziVoir » 17 Jun 2018, 20:01

I feel like the two books certainly follow a similar literary trend. This reminds me of other "sub-genres," like vampire romance or what I've come to call "love triangle dystopia." It really comes down to how the authors distinguish their work, regardless of existing precedent, though some similarities are certainly there.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”