Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Post by Al Chakauya »

I liked the mystery as well as the art, but what I liked most is the concept of the multiple themes used by the author. I couldn't connect with the paranormal side of the story though. I also felt that the romance side is not coherent with the story as a whole hence that part hindered fluidity in reading the book.
danopsy
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danopsy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by danopsy »

I feel the book is good though still on it, good flow, though lots of mystery and art and history and it still appeals to me even though am not a fan of art. lovely and recommendable
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

holsam_87 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 01:41
gali wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 00:30 What is your overall opinion of the "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
Overall I would rate this book as 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the inclusion of art history and mystery but at points, the romance was too rushed. I have actually already recommended this to someone for her summer reading list on her library bingo board.
A library bingo board? Never heard of that. Can you explain for those of us who haven't heard of that before?
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

rocj wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 09:43 I have a mixed reaction to this book. I thought it was a thriller. I anticipated more action and less romance. The fight scenes were tamed. The villain wasn't as evil as I thought he could be. The investigator's character was a bit of a cliche. He's studly, rich, and wants to be the hero. However, the plot is unique. Kodus to the author for writing one character as three different people living in three different time periods. The dialogue flowed naturally. I was in awe of how much she brought Italy to life. The settings were so vivid I thought I was there. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I think anyone who loves romantic thrillers would enjoy this book. The author's imagination exceeded my expectations.
The imagery was superb and Ami did transition well and did a good job of integrating three couples from three time periods.
I struggled with some of the dialogue between Alex and Angela. It was a little cheesy and dull at times.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

FictionLover wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 16:19 I really liked the opening to this book and want to continue reading it, but just have not had the time. I like the art history connection and thought the paranormal slant on things was fun.

With all the BsOTD and trying to read books to review, I feel like I am behind the eight ball trying to keep up.
It can be so hard to prioritize with so many great books out there. At first I was frustrated when there were no books available for review that I was particularly interested in but after a few months I enjoy the break where I can read a BOTD I was really fascinated by or go back to reading something from my non-OBC want to read list.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

There ARE so many great books. I am in a book club at my library and I just finished reading Robinson Crusoe. We read one classic every year, and Robinson Crusoe was this years. It was written in 1719 and was awesome! Goes to show you that you could read all day, every day, and still not be done with your To Be Read list.

At first I was getting overwhelmed by all the reading, especially reading the sample every day, in addition to the book I am reviewing, and I usually have a paperback going, too. But, I am falling into a routine.

I am not big into non-fiction anymore, and was a little disappointed that two of my review books have been non-fiction, but they were (are, I'm just beginning one, and finished the other) easy enjoyable reads and very inspirational.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I gave "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" a 4 out of 4. I loved the historical parts of the book mixed with the romance. I'm usually not a huge historical buff, but the way this book presented the information made it extremely satisfying. I could not put the book down. The romance parts of the book were well written also.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I love how this book is a jack of all trades. The blend of the genes makes it unique with an edgy touch.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

DorcasToo wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 15:17 I love how this book is a jack of all trades. The blend of the genes makes it unique with an edgy touch.
Very accurate comment i feel the same way, im loving the mix of genres and the skill at which the author intertwines them
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 18:20
holsam_87 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 01:41
gali wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 00:30 What is your overall opinion of the "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
Overall I would rate this book as 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the inclusion of art history and mystery but at points, the romance was too rushed. I have actually already recommended this to someone for her summer reading list on her library bingo board.
A library bingo board? Never heard of that. Can you explain for those of us who haven't heard of that before?
Sure, basically its Bingo with book suggestions from her local library.
Attachments
Here it is.
Here it is.
Screenshot_20180625-220126.jpg (345.46 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

Mystery, art, Romance put together by Belle Ami makes a really good book.
Terra7
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terra7.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Terra7 »

I would recommend this book to art lover's, because even though there is a large element of mystery, the history parts were a little distracting.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

After finishing this book I am blown away at the ease that the author combines genres. A lot of mystery with just the right mix of paranormal and romance. I give it a 4 out of 4 stars and don't do so lightly.
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Bookwormgirl1 »

I typically enjoy fiction books that incorporate art and history into the overall theme and mystery of the story. I have yet to read this book, but I am excited to read it and learn more about the time of da Vinci and see how he must have lived.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Bookwormgirl1 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:24 I typically enjoy fiction books that incorporate art and history into the overall theme and mystery of the story. I have yet to read this book, but I am excited to read it and learn more about the time of da Vinci and see how he must have lived.
It is an excellent book, but as some have been arguing the title can be misconstrued. While leonardo Da Vinci is present in the book it does not revolve around him rather one of his paintings

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”