Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami

Post by TaaraLynn »

When reading through replies and other posts and seeing themes of mystery and a bit of paranormal, honestly, I love those genres. I know there are a few others, but it also just seems like something I would read.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
rar1951
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rar1951.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by rar1951 »

I'm finishing The Girl Who Knew da Vinci, by Belle Ami. So far it has been a romance novel without the thrilling parts advertized on the cover. The plethora of love making in detail gets a little old, and the excitement only comes at the end. This is another in the formula: woman finds rich lover, and has to surmount some difficulty to get to happy ever after. I like the creativeness of adding reincarnations of the characters, and the time travel by the main character back to former selves. When I think of the target audiance, I think it would most appeal to teenagers and women of all ages. So far I would give the book 3 out of 4 stars.
RAR1951
What you are selling is your fatal flaw. What you thought was your fatal flaw will be your strongest strength
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I liked the premise of the book a lot, and I liked the style of writing. I think the way the author made some reveals lacked subtlety and negatively impacted the mystery atmosphere the author wanted to create.

The author was comfortable with romance and managed to write a male lead that didn't give me the creeps, so that's cool.
dgallois
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgallois.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by dgallois »

I really enjoyed the book. I am not a big fan of history books but the way this one incorporated the history works. There were some twists that kept the book exciting throughout.
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Overall, I rated The Girl Who Knew da Vinci a 4 out of 4. I believe author Belle Ami did an excellent job in writing this book. It was a well balance combination of love, fantasy, thrill and mystery. The transition from the occurrences going on in present day and the reflection of the events that took place as the story jumped back into time was well exacuted in the writing of this book. It grabbed and held my attention the whole way through.

The one thing that I did not particularly care for is the books title. Although, part of the storyline was based on recovering the wedding portrait of which Leonardo da Vinci, I believe the story to be more about the undying forbidden love that Fioretta and Giuliano had for one another. Though, the immortality of that love consist and or exist was because of da Vinci's painting and he was in fact Fioretta's best friend, the overall story had nothing to do with the actuality of knowing Leonardo da Vinci more as him just the famous artist who created the picture that the characters were in search of.

Yet, even with the title being a little offset to what the book is actually about. I still believe that it deserves a 4 out of 4 rating.
Chelsea N. Hackett
butterbean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterbean.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by butterbean »

I love art history, so this book really appealed to me off the bat. Like many other readers, this book reminded me of the DaVinci Code books in some respects, but it was definitely its own. It was a thrilling read and I'd like Belle Ami to continue writing!
soma_amir
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by soma_amir »

I love thriller with some romance and this book has these features in profusion. Moreover,it contains a nice blend of mystery and history at a same time. Besides, the author has created a beautiful imagery as I felt myself drenched in the scenery while reading. Though I haven't completed it yet but I can assuredly recommend this book to Art lovers because Da vinci has a great artistic approach.
soma_amir
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See

Post by soma_amir »

I love thriller with some romance and this book has these features in profusion. Moreover,it contains a nice blend of mystery and history at a same time. Besides, the author has created a beautiful imagery as I felt myself drenched in the scenery while reading. Though I haven't completed it yet but I can assuredly recommend this book to Art lovers because Da vinci has a great artistic approach.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I anticipated it would be more of a thriller than I felt it actually was. I would categorize it within the Romance genre versus the C/M/T/H genre, but that did not ruin the book for me. I love the incorporation of past lives, and the flow used to present those lives. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a good read that pulls on the heartstrings. It does contain explicit sexual descriptions so it may not be suitable for all ages.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

Am still reading the book and for sure the story is a page turner as it is full of mystery. The flow of the story is fascinating and I will give my rating once am through.
Roc Madness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness »

I have a mixed reaction to this book. I thought it was a thriller. I anticipated more action and less romance. The fight scenes were tamed. The villain wasn't as evil as I thought he could be. The investigator's character was a bit of a cliche. He's studly, rich, and wants to be the hero. However, the plot is unique. Kodus to the author for writing one character as three different people living in three different time periods. The dialogue flowed naturally. I was in awe of how much she brought Italy to life. The settings were so vivid I thought I was there. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I think anyone who loves romantic thrillers would enjoy this book. The author's imagination exceeded my expectations.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Jillpillbooknerd wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 17:10 I just finished the book today and I have some feelings about it. While I liked the concept of the book as it progressed I got bored with it pretty quickly. After about 50% through it was pretty plain to see that Alex and Angela were going to figure out the mystery and end up happily ever after together. I would have liked this much better had the romance not been a part of it. Why does every good concept have to end up with the main characters getting together? I started off liking The Girl Who Knew da Vinci but ended up figuring out the plot and the ending before I was even close to finishing the book. I'm not sure I would recommend this or not.
Predictably of a novel or story is always sometime that a good author has to guard against while at the same time not making it too difficult for an average reader to follow twists and turns of the novel.I can relate to the predictability you felt within the story.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

DancingLady wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 11:12 I am just about to start writing my review, so I'll be revealing my star rating there, but in brief, I liked the mystery and adventure of it most. Not surprisingly, the sex was my absolute least favorite part, and given how much there was, it ultimately made the book a pretty big disappointment for me. I would not recommend it in person honestly, because the fact that I finished reading it would likely reflect poorly on my character in the eyes of certain people in my life. I will probably recommend it with a warning about excessive adult content that the reader may want to skip over. The bottom line for me, I had very high expectations since this book is the book of the month, thus it was pretty disappointing since the overall story was not outstanding and there was such a drawback with the sex scenes.
I share your disappointment as I didn't think there was anything really thrilling about the novel. The language used in the erotic parts was what I found disappointing, it was just unromantic.
Blvck_bherry
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blvck_bherry »

Da Vinci is very interesting story, anda I really like the artistic side of the novel. It seems the romance and paranormal elements overwhelmed the mystery of the story. Choosing da Vinci was a great choice on behalf of the author because there is so much symbolism to be decoded in his work. I think the Giuliano-Fioretta and Gerhard-Sophia angles were told well. I would definitely recommend this book to others because of its history and mysteries
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by FictionLover »

I really liked the opening to this book and want to continue reading it, but just have not had the time. I like the art history connection and thought the paranormal slant on things was fun.

With all the BsOTD and trying to read books to review, I feel like I am behind the eight ball trying to keep up.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”