I don't like the cover page picture

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Re: I don't like the cover page picture

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Nmesoma wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 07:32 I thought the cover was daring in a devilish kind of way. It's not too bad, a kid could look at it and go 'that's an interesting occupation; sword-swallowing is'. Sorry, that was intended to make you laugh, don't take me seriously. Anyway, the cover is not that terrible, I actually know most book cover's that are actually worse.
My word! haha worse than this? lol
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

cristinaro wrote: 31 May 2018, 06:21 It's not just you. My initial reaction to the cover page was similar. I told myself I would never read this book, but life has taught me to be much more open to new challenges and always reinvent myself and see things from a different perspective. I've read the book and I quite enjoyed the first part describing Duke's life. Even if for me or you, the author's writing style may be perhaps too straighforward, this does not mean that others may not like it. You seem like a free thinker too, so, who knows, you might find something to interest you in the book, after all. :)
Very well said. I completely agree with you. I am trying to stop literally judging books by their covers.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The cover is very depictive of the personalities mentioned in the book. The tattoos are suggestive of the lifestyle of the wearer, something like hinting the person is bold, daring, and even relating to tie-ups with people using drugs. Before, those with tattoos are usually convicts who could not find a much better use of their abundant idleness than to scar their bodies. Now, it became a personal statement of fashion or being trendy, or even boldness to pain. Time will come when the wearer of tattoos will be despised by society or will be looked down upon. That will be when the tattoos have become so ordinary, it will be associated with an inferiority of class.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

The cover might appear scary and offensive, but when you consider the backdrop of the work it appears allegorical, swallowing something that is harmful for you. The writer was an addict when he came across the sword swallower.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I did not like it either. But I also did not like the title of the book. I was very hesitant to read this book because of the cover and the title, but in the end I'm glad I did. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would!
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Brenn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenn.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Brenn »

Personally, I love magic tricks and would go for a book with such a cover picture. It was not totally a turn off, I would think it fits fine.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
tkblazier
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tkblazier »

I didn't like it either. I know that we aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover but I have to admit I do
Sunil Chhetri

Post by Sunil Chhetri »

I heard that never judge a book by there cover.. So I am telling everyone that not to cheking so puti far guys
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

While I didn't necessarily dislike it, I do think there could've been something better. My overall experience with the book was not affected by the image so I am not too upset about it. In terms of design though, I agree a different cover photo could draw in more readers!
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

The cover seems to put off many people but only those who are open minded or are brave enough read it. The author clearly did not give consideration to all kinds of readers.
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by llpwap »

Honestly, If I had seen this cover on a store shelf I would have never picked it up. I am bad for judging a book based on how the cover entices me. I shouldn't be that way. If The Sword Swallower and the Chico Kidwas not one of the books for online book club I would have never read it. It wasn't one of my favorite books, but I am glad that I read it.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I kind of liked that it showcases the spectacle of sword swallowing by making it unavoidable for audiences to miss, while also normalizing it at the same time for those who choose to stick with it.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

lesler wrote: 31 May 2018, 18:37 The sword swallowing dude on the front cover definitely did not entice me to read the book, but it did not prevent me either.
Me. I'd probably be taken aback, but I don't think it would prevent me from reading it. Especially, if it's something I want to read/am enticed by the summary.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
_adilene

Post by _adilene »

Totally agree, it didn’t catch my attention whatsoever. :roll:
John Adeleke

Post by John Adeleke »

For me I do read the book by its cover.. a book cover actually invites you to its content. It takes an experience reader to actually ignore the cover but it's so rare.. let the cover be as interesting as the story

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”