I don't like the cover page picture

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Re: I don't like the cover page picture

Post by lindsaysherlock »

Covers really make it or break it for me. Even though you aren't supposed to judge a book on its cover, I always do. If the cover doesn't interest me, I don't want to read the book. If I really like the cover, I'll usually want to read the book, even if the plot doesn't initially sound like something I would enjoy.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Personally, I didn't find the cover picture too bad. But I feel that it did misrepresent the book slightly. I admit I was plenty surprised to find that the book centered around a circus. From the cover picture, I'd pictured street performers maybe.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Im a trong believer in not judgeing the book solely on its cover, and while o bnb obviously controversial i dont see the big deal in the cover as it relates to the story. Does it not depict the storys main focal point? I wouldnt know as its still on my TBR list.
Silahmom
Currently Reading: The girl who dared to fight
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silahmom.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Silahmom »

Although I agree the picture is freaky I also feel it represents duke very well. He wasn't what we'd call normal. He was freaky. Although it wasnt the main theme of the book the picture does fit.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 12:29 I'll admit, when I see this one as the book of the day or in other places, the cover does throw me off a bit. On the one hand, this clearly shows a pretty wild character who can put on a heck of a show since there are people gathered around to watch. On the other hand, I feel like the background could be more interesting - the only sign shown is a Yoga place. I know this is a weird complaint, but it just makes me feel like the dude is gonna go do some yoga after for some odd reason.

Also, without the sword in the image, if the title wasn't there I'd just think he's really good at gargling water. :D With the title it makes perfect sense though.
I especially agree with your comment about the background; I admit it makes it look self-published to me, like it was a public domain image or royalty free image someone grabbed to quickly make a cover.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Bookwormgirl1 »

I agree with you. Typically the sight of a tattooed man swallowing a sword on the front cover of a book may turn some people away. To be honest, the sight of it turned me away as well. Now, after hearing how positive some people have been about the book, I would like to give it a try.
JoshuaR
Currently Reading: Dark Enemy Captive (The Children of The Gods Book 4)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshuar.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JoshuaR »

I agree the cover is a tad disturbing. I understand that the cover is not the substance of the book, but it is the first impression. This first impression is certainly eye catching but it's a little gross. Perhaps something not as potentially gruesome could be used? They guy is great though.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

My first impression of the book's cover was very similar to yours. I usually don't like seeing dangerous acts being performed, especially sword swallowing, so I hesitated a lot in my thoughts regarding the book. To be honest, I think the cover could be better in order to attract lots of readers.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Meh, it draws the potential read in. People are more likely to see the cover before they read the title on the cover, so even if it disturbs some, it will intrigue others to read it.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

I agree with your assessment of the cover picture. The story itself is very interesting, however the cover picture doesn't suit the book. It does reveal a little about the characters but almost seems cheap and gaudy in my opinion
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Kmykel wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 00:25 I don't care for photo covers in general, nor do I care for photo-realistic. I don't like seeing what characters in the book look like, because I like the freedom of being able to picture them myself. I know that's subjective, but it is a pet-peeve of mine.
Sometimes it's better to make your imaginations do its job while you go through the words of the book you're reading.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I think the cover picture was in line with the title of the book. Whilst not 'awe inspiring,' I didn't find it gross either. It is the story itself that set me back.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I think the cover plays a big role in showing what is within the pages. But on the other hand, like you said, it can be intimidating. But we as readers should know by now not to judge the book by it's cover!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I like the cover because it catches my eye just it might catch a pedestrians eye if they saw a sword swallower in the middle of the street. I think it works well because it garners interest and I'm really not disturbed by the book cover.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

I thought the cover picture was well done, and it was one of the reasons that I read the book. My initial reaction was, "How do they do that? Is it trickery or is there some special way a person can really do that? "

It peaked my curiosity, to say the least. I was fascinated by the descriptions of how a person can actually swallow swords.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”