"All you have is today."

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Re: "All you have is today."

Post by Kristy Khem »

This is a powerful line and I think my dad used to say something similar in the past. He's gone now but the quote reminded me of him. I'm an overthinker so I tend to analyze the past although I can't change it and I worry about the future more often than not!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

K Geisinger wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:38 To your question about me, I think everyone is affected by the past, it's whether you dwell excessively. I wish I had made different choices, but sometimes that is honest self reflection rather than obsessiveness.
As to the personal side of the issue, these are my feelings exactly. Reflection is vital and healthy for growth, as long as you don't stagnate because you're always overthinking.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I may not be able to answer the first question on whether Duke was living in the present or not. However, it very common to find people who will give you advice on what to do but find them doing the opposite themselves. I live in the present, enjoying each day as it comes and thanking God for it. I also at times have to ponder on the past to know where I am from, where I am, and to also try and map out where I am headed to.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This is definitely a powerful quote. I wish that I could live in this way, but I want to start living more freely soon and trying to base my life around not worrying about the past as much.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

To be honest, I'm one person who gets hurt whenever I remember uneventful happenings of the past. The missed opportunities just give me but a nightmare. However, the present and the future are my concerns as well. Every time I tell myself that my everyday's action takes me one step closer or further from my Destiny.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I think Duke certainly tries to live in the present. He like most people is sort of both living in the present and still has nostalgia for the past. I'm the same way, I try to always stay in the moment, but it's sometimes important to look back on the past. Worrying about the future is something that everyone does from time to time.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The past always has a way of catching up with someone.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Duke's statement can be true in a sense and false in another. Some of my 'yesterdays' are memory to me while I still live in the others. Tomorrow maybe guaranteed for someone but not to another. I try not to be too worried about the future. Being worried doesn't make the future brighter.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I think it's natural for human minds to travel back to things that happened in the past. People often come up with their own philosophies without keeping up with them. Sometimes it's in our control, but most of the time it isn't, you just cannot work against your brain and body for too long. So, I guess the Duke was trying his best possible but couldn't keep up with it.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I live by the motto: the present is all that exists. This doesn't mean that I shouldn't plan or think about my future, it simply means reality happens in the NOW. I don't base my decisions on past happenings or what might be in the future, rather I look at what IS right now. In the case of Duke, his interpretation is also accurate, only that he uses it as an excuse not to aspire for greatness in life and simply content himself with living a mediocre existence.
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shraddha_rc »

I stick to the fact that we only have the present. We can't waste our time thinking about our past or planning about our future because it disturbs our present. So I will definitely agree with Duke.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Yesterday's just a memory / tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be Bob Dylan
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I kind of like the quote it reminds me of Game of Thrones (or perhaps I'm just too much of a nerd and everything reminds me of it since my binge-watching episodes).
Either way I do agree- you may never know what tomorrow will be. You have to make of it yourself. And the day before is one for the memories. People should live in the present more. Not work all day in the hopes of a better tomorrow. Try and live in the moment to make that moment memorable and enjoyable.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I do believe Duke lived by this statement, but I do not. I am a person who likes to plan, and I prefer to live by the philosophy: "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

AWANDO OGUTU wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 22:07 To be honest, I'm one person who gets hurt whenever I remember uneventful happenings of the past. The missed opportunities just give me but a nightmare. However, the present and the future are my concerns as well. Every time I tell myself that my everyday's action takes me one step closer or further from my Destiny.
This is very profound. At times the sad events of the past are scary to think about and the future may be looking blurred. But it is true that whatever we are doing at the moment has much to do with how our future will look like
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”