Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Post by kfwilson6 »

teacherjh wrote: 16 May 2018, 09:25
CatInTheHat wrote: 08 May 2018, 12:07 I think that during his "hey-day," his tattoos would have really stood out. They are so common now that it would be different if he were in his prime now.
That makes sense. Body art is much more accepted now, although there are still some jobs that make you cover it up.
As extensive as his tattoos were, I think he would still stand out. Tattoos in general are pretty common but on a small scale. Due to the fact that certain professions don't allow or frown upon visible tattoos, many people only get them where clothes will always or almost always have them covered when in public.
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

I think having a striking visual marker like that in prose is a great way to just remind people of who they are reading about when that character comes onto the page. It can be difficult to remember names when you've got a whole cast of characters going in and out of the narrative. It also doesn't hurt that his tattoos each say so much about him. You can't really spend too much time on any one character's backstory unless under certain circumstances, so Duke carries his past literally right there on his sleeve. It's a great literary device and also a cool stylistic choice.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker

Post by Kendra M Parker »

joshfee77 wrote: 12 May 2018, 07:37 I think Duke's tattoos were a large part of his appeal. As it says in the book, the more acts you had in your repertoire, the more money you could potentially make. His versatility, including the tattoos and fire-breathing, gave extra depth to his character.
You may be on to something here. As another act, he would certainly have something else to see with those tattoos, plus the swords, fire, nails, etc.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Bookmermaid wrote: 16 May 2018, 11:05 Duke's courage, determination and his stage personality all permit him to stand tall. His tattoos define who he is and they symbolically add to his daring, reckless persona and they make him all the more memorable.
The tattoos would almost punch a person in the face and grab your attention. It would be perfect for when he was in the street. What made Duke loveable was his personality and caring nature.
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

I don't think the tattoos made the person though they helped highlight him a little. They are part of him as much as a finger would be, it seems. They helped define him a little bit because it was mentioned a lot, especially during a time when tattoos were for a special few. I think his career made him more noticeable and his connection with people.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I definitely think that his visual otherness makes him a memorable character. I think that his tattoos are a symbol of his rebellion against society's conventions. The different kinds of tattoos are artwork in and of themselves. I still think that Duke would have been successful because he is a sword swallower, but the tattoos add to his act.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Katherine Smith wrote: 17 May 2018, 17:59 I definitely think that his visual otherness makes him a memorable character. I think that his tattoos are a symbol of his rebellion against society's conventions. The different kinds of tattoos are artwork in and of themselves. I still think that Duke would have been successful because he is a sword swallower, but the tattoos add to his act.
Your use of the word rebellion made me wonder if society still sees people getting tattoos as a type of rebellion against the norm, is it a way to stand out, is it just like an accessory to people but more permanent, or is it a way to express something about ourselves? I would really like to read answers from those with tattoos. I am a ninny so I would never get one. But for practical reasons I would not get a tattoo because I don't think it would always look as good as it would new. Our bodies change and the ink fades. It also is just not something I have an interest in. There is no image I want permanently imprinted on my skin.

It would have been interesting to have more insight into what Duke's tattoos were and what the story was behind them.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I think his tattoos do help with his art, but I also feel his personality is what really sets everything off. I love the ideas of his tattoos, and he chose wisely and with reason. So it's also a look inside of him as a person, and a conversation started so you see his personality shine through. :) It's also helpful for his stage persona.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

He would certainly be memorable without his tattoos. They are striking because that is the first thing people see about him, but his swagger, presence, and performances are what keep him alive in people's memories. He's an unusual guy even without his tattoos. His performing ability and command of a room is what people leave with. I do love that Gary gets a tattoo of Duke's signature as a way to remember and honor him, I think that brings the story full circle, but Duke is certainly memorable enough to Gary especially without the tattoos.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Another good question! I say, instantly recognizable with visual tattoos and I believe still successful without that large visual appeal. I would like to believe that Duke's personality makes up his unique character, in which Gary was also drawn to.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think that the first thing people noticed when they saw Duke were him tattoos. However, I think that what was really memorable about him was his showmanship. The tattoos were just a tool to catch people's initial interest.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I think Duke was born to entertain with or without his tattoos. His personality was one of a kind and became more and more alive as the crowds became larger and larger. His tattoos may have helped to draw a crowd when he was performing on the streets but it was ultimately his personality and jokes that made him a legend.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I think Duke’s personality and his incredible acts, particularly the sword swallowing, made him famous. I think his tattoos helped him because at the time only certain people had them. It was a curiosity that made him stand out. However, I also think he would have become famous without them. His act and personality stood out and got people’s attention. If I see a swallower in the street I would stop regardless of the person having tattoos o not.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 09 May 2018, 21:25
Jeyasivananth wrote: 09 May 2018, 14:21
K Geisinger wrote: 08 May 2018, 07:19 The first thing people notice about Duke are his tattoos. Would Duke be as instantly recognizable and successful without that large visual appeal? Is it Duke's personality or his visual "otherness" that makes the character?
Well going by the novel, tattoos weren't mainstream then. They were still regarded as a fringe art or even tabooed. In such circumstances having a tattoo would have garnered him an instant attention. However, it is definitely his personality and rare talent that makes his memorable and endearing to the people to know him in the book and to the readers.
You are right, this book was set in 1967. Different times completely. Tattoos were mostly seen on bikers and people who lived life outside the norm. Back then it was not a common occurrance to see someone with tattoos. Not like today. Duke's tattoos attracted attention to his physical appearance but his skill and talents of entertaing people is what kept people returning to see him. Sure in this day and age, a tattooed person would still draw attention but for most people, it's not uncommon to see.
I am glad you agree :D
maryane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maryane »

In my opinion, I think it is Duke's personality that will make him memorable and is the same personality that makes is character. According to the author, it is clear that there are dozens of people that would have done the same thing and therefore his personality is a great deal regarding his success. However, the tattoos gives Duke an instant recognition and people's attention. Personally, the Tattoos play a part in his instant recognition and success but capturing the people's attention.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”