Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Looks are the first thing that you will notice after meeting someone,even before you get to know them. And as we all know, first impressions are often last impressions. I believe getting tattoos was a deliberate choice on Duke's part to portray his out-of-the-norm attitude. In a time where tattooing was frowned upon and was considered in association with lawlessness (among other things), it was a courageous feat for Duke to have his body adorned by tattoos. But then, he never lacked courage, did he?
Shrabastee Chakraborty

KRay93 wrote: 30 May 2018, 18:53 For anyone who engages in a conversation with him (or, in our case, for everyone who reads him), it will be clear that his personality is what makes his character. Now, for a viewer within the fictional world of this book, his visual appearance, and his tattoos would help to attract more viewers, out of his particular talent.
Precisely. Visual appearance is what catches our attention first, even before getting to know them. We readers are familiar with Duke's abilities and principles and such, hence consider him a remarkable man in those aspects. But someone entering a sideshow or walking down a busy road will definitely notice him for his tattoos (and sword-swallowing, of course). The tattoos make him stand out among a crowd as well as portrays his attitude.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

cristinaro wrote: 31 May 2018, 05:36 I don't think Duke would be half as memorable without his tattoos. At the time, tattoos were reserved for sailors, criminals and circus freaks, in other words, as the author metaphorically writes, to "the few brave souls who had enough courage to withstand the social stigma." The fact that he chooses to have so many tattoos on his body is an act of courage and a decision he knew would generate various reactions from bewilderment to disgust. It is also his means of acknowledging the circus people as his family since his tattoos represented either iconic images of the circus life or the famous tattoo designs worn by tattooed men throughout the 20th century. As a sword swallower, he does need people's stares, so tattooing is also part of his strategy to attract a larger audience. It ultimately becomes an expression of his vivid personality and both other characters in the book and readers alike will not imagine Duke without his tattoos.
My thoughts, precisely! As a performer on the streets, he needs the attention. Since tattooing was not at all common at that time, his body adorned by a lot of them would certainly be an eye-catcher. Also, I agree that it took him enormous courage to sport so many tattoos, knowing the stigma attached to it. But then, he never lacked courage!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

He'd be famous even without his tattoos because sword swallowing is extremely uncommon and hard task. But, it was easy for him to gain an audience with his tattoos which were uncommon at that time. So, maybe it might have factored in his famousness and it definitely would have factored in his instant recognizability.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

It was Duke's personality and skill in sword swallowing that made him recognizable. His tattoos are just an awesome addition. Those are memorable for him.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

For the reader, I think that Duke's personality is more important than his tattoos. They are definitely an important part of his life, but his bold and unique personality are what people notice.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

He might be as memorable, but the cover wouldn't be as cool. 8)
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Lol
I think it's a bit nasty to query someones impact based on their tattoos. But I think, without the tattoos, another physical feature would've struck, as is the case with all people. Perhaps people would notice his eyes, or his hands etc.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Scrawling Pen wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 00:40 For the reader, I think that Duke's personality is more important than his tattoos. They are definitely an important part of his life, but his bold and unique personality are what people notice.
agreed
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Tattoos are a sure way to grab someone's attention, having said that tattoos, a lot of them on a single person are fairly common these days. So tattoos can be only be enough to catch someone's attention but the personality must be there to keep hold of the attention.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

Yes. He can be as memorable without his tattoos because what he is remembered by is his art in sword swallowing. His tattoos can be considered as a second thing to remember him by.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Of course! He's one of the 11 sword swallowers all over the country. He would be definitely memorable with or without his tattoos.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I thinks it is his trade that makes him memorable, his tattoo's ad to that some people will remember him for it.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

Duke would definitely be memorable without the tattoo as he performs an extreme art. Personally, i think the reason of the tattoo is to attract attention to himself for his street exhibition. A very colorful looking person will certainly get my attention.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

kfwilson6 wrote: 08 May 2018, 13:23 I think his tattoos really added to the intrigue that surrounded him. They made him even more unique and "dangerous." I don't think he would have been as widely recognized without the tattoos. I do agree with CatInTheHat though that they would have such a huge impact today.
I agree with you.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”