Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
yonyan0314
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 22

Re: Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Post by yonyan0314 » 30 May 2018, 11:54

They are both the same why ? because sword swallowing could be an art, through the performer's mind its an art because it his passion to this thing. And in the other side it could be trick because sometimes people always thinks it is only a trick to make us amaze to the performer because some people can do it and some are not.

mdamu reader
Currently Reading: The Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Series
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by mdamu reader » 31 May 2018, 03:26

according to me i thing its an act,that`s why the performer puts a lot of practice to master the act that if not well mastered it can lead to fails which results to accidents

cristinaro
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: My Groans Pour Out Like Water by Frances Bloom
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 31 May 2018, 05:20

Duke definitely wants us to think it is the real thing and he keeps repeating that there are ony 14 sword swallowers left who know the ins and outs of this art. I would say it is merely a trick as I've also read how he carefully plans his performance and has a rehearsed monologue repeated to thousands to make the audience believe in the power of the illusion. I've been reading about this and I've learnt that it could be a gimmick with special trick swords, but this is not always the case. Considering that Duke got hurt and at some point he couldn't perform his act anymore, he must have been doing the real thing.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

book_worm 101
Currently Reading: See How Small
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-101.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by book_worm 101 » 31 May 2018, 17:47

I believe that sword swallowing can only be done by few people, but has to be learned and practiced In order to achieve greatness. Therefore, it is an art and a trick all balled up in one.

lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler » 31 May 2018, 17:52

I think it is an art, because not everyone can even be taught to do it. You have to have the correct physical traits to be able to swallow swords.

Social Butterfly
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly » 01 Jun 2018, 12:42

I name myself the skeptical soul and therefore believe that sword swallowing is definitely a trick as it is scientifically impossible

eri1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eri1 » 01 Jun 2018, 13:19

Zain A Blade wrote:
02 May 2018, 14:17
After reading the book (or at least the review), are you convinced that the character, Duke Raynolds, is not a fraud? Do you believe that sword swallowing is a practice that can actually be taught and learned? I'd love to hear your take on this.
Magic exists and yes sword swallowing is done by people who have the magical skill. people do so many crazy things in this world and sword swallowing is part of it

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Red - Bastard Child by David Valley
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 03 Jun 2018, 10:07

If a real sword is used, I would say the swallowing part is a skill. The art would lie in crafting the show you put on for the audience while demonstrating the skill. I agree with others who say it would be a trick if a collapsible sword is being used to deceive others. But there can be an artistry to tricks as well. We know that a magician is deceiving our senses in some way. But we can still be entertained by the show he puts on.

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading: power corrupts
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Losing Normal by Francis Moss
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 06 Jun 2018, 01:00

I think it’s an art. I saw a sword swallower swallow a neon light and it lit up his throat and chest. Pretty convincing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

KristyKhem
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading: Under the Birch Tree
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: What No One Says by Dee Aurora

Post by KristyKhem » 06 Jun 2018, 12:03

I think its an art, not a trick! It can be fatal, but I am certain it can be learned. Also, I'm sure everyone who does it has a terrible sore throat afterward.

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Mars 2112 by John Ashcroft-Jones

Post by Kibetious » 06 Jun 2018, 14:31

Nop. I am not convinced. I feel that it is more of a trick than an act. It would seem unimaginable to see one swallowing a sword despite the mastery of skills by various acrobats and 'magicians'.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Mars 2112 by John Ashcroft-Jones

Post by Kibetious » 06 Jun 2018, 14:33

cristinaro wrote:
31 May 2018, 05:20
Duke definitely wants us to think it is the real thing and he keeps repeating that there are ony 14 sword swallowers left who know the ins and outs of this art. I would say it is merely a trick as I've also read how he carefully plans his performance and has a rehearsed monologue repeated to thousands to make the audience believe in the power of the illusion. I've been reading about this and I've learnt that it could be a gimmick with special trick swords, but this is not always the case. Considering that Duke got hurt and at some point he couldn't perform his act anymore, he must have been doing the real thing.
This is a nice perspective of view on the whole practice of sword swallowing in the book. It sounds more realistic when viewed from this angle.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: A Thread in Time by Jess Thomas

Post by BriennaiJ » 06 Jun 2018, 15:25

I definitely believe that it is an art. He has to train so hard if he is swallowing actual swords. However, if they were collapsible, then it would be a trick.

Elle Howard
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard » 06 Jun 2018, 18:34

I think sword swallowing is a trick for some and a skill for others. It all depends on the artist, the audience and the illusion they want to create. I consider sword swallowing like magicians. Some are amazing. Others, not so much.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou

Morgan Jones
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Of Free Will And Providence by Chip Byers

Post by Morgan Jones » 06 Jun 2018, 20:01

To me, it's a bit of both to be honest. I admire people who can actually do it and I never understood the trick behind it (because there must be a trick he's swallowing a whole sword! That's not possible even if the sword was fake or not!). All in all, I have to admit it's very impressive to witness.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”