Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
HarleenQuinzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleenquinzel.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Are you convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick?

Post by HarleenQuinzel »

To start off, sword swallowing is one of those things that just freaks me out! I have to turn my head if I see it happening. I think it’s not necessarily a “trick” but more of a performance. As mentioned, as long as it’s a real sword that is being used it should not be considered a trick. I don’t know if I would necessarily classify it is an “art” either. I would say performance is the description it would likely fall under in my opinion.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I think sword swallowing is something that is learnt with time. I honestly don't see how tricks can come in in such an act unless maybe the swords are fake.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

Sword swallowing is an art. Training to master if not to perfect considering the minor and major accidents acquired is already an art itself. With all kinds of audiences watching you perform either in awe or in fear, there's already art in there. It is synonimous to displaying paintings or sculptures for the public to see. The opinions and or criticisms that happens before or after makes it an art.
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

I see this as a two-part question as well. The first question is whether or not I believe from the reading of the book that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick. My response to this question is yes. Robinson does a compelling job of describing sword swallowing as an art which needs to be learned and treated with respect. He does illustrate how the swords pass through the esophagus and move the heart. Also, the fact that if you do not remove the swords quickly enough, you can cause permanent damage while performing. Now, as for the second question, which would be regarding my belief in the reality of sword swallowing in real life. I find it extremely difficult to believe that someone can truly swallow a real sword without causing permanent damage to themselves. So, I do think that in the case of real life there is a trick involved just as all magic incorporates tricks to appear real.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I will take the middle ground and say that it is an art form that also involves a lot of tricks and illusion.
Njj101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Njj101 »

grahase71 wrote: 03 May 2018, 15:18 I haven't as yet read this book and was a bit queasy to my stomach just thinking about it (as far as the sword swallowing part). From reading the reviews, I may change my mind---once I get past my minds-eye-view of swallowing a sword. Whether or not it's real, I probably couldn't say. I have seen it done in the circus and I'm not convinced that it is real.
SEG
I'm having the same problem I really want to give this book a try but every time I think about it I get queasy :?
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Yes, after reading the story I am convinced that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick. It is an art that is passed on from generation to generation. However I do like the idea once expressed in the book that at one point of achievements in life the sword swallower might have stopped swallowing swords and led a normal life. This is close to my idea of 'perfection' of things of life!
Salome Yakubu
Favorite Book: A Day in Eternity
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Salome Yakubu »

Its a trick,because i can't imagine a person swallowing a sword.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

No , Iam not convinced that sword swallowing is an art it is a trick according to me.
---
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

The book never talks about how Duke actually does it. I don't really know whether it is a trick or an art.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I don't think Duke was a fraud. It seemed more of an art than a trick, probably why there were so few people who actually did it.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Helpme71 wrote: 03 May 2018, 08:14 I believe that it is a skill, as long as it is an actual sword and not a sword that is fake or collapsible. I have seen real sword-swallowers at circuses before and it is absolutely stunning how they are able to do that. I don't think Duke is a fraud, as long as he is "swallowing" real swords and not fake or collapsible ones.
Wow! That must have been one heck of an experience. I don't know whether I will be able to see this feat for real without flinching. The descriptions of the sword-swallowing in the book had me breathless every time. I don't think it is a trick, but at the same time I wonder how one does that without scratching any part of their throat.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

samiam013 wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 17:08 I see this as a two-part question as well. The first question is whether or not I believe from the reading of the book that sword swallowing is an art and not a trick. My response to this question is yes. Robinson does a compelling job of describing sword swallowing as an art which needs to be learned and treated with respect. He does illustrate how the swords pass through the esophagus and move the heart. Also, the fact that if you do not remove the swords quickly enough, you can cause permanent damage while performing. Now, as for the second question, which would be regarding my belief in the reality of sword swallowing in real life. I find it extremely difficult to believe that someone can truly swallow a real sword without causing permanent damage to themselves. So, I do think that in the case of real life there is a trick involved just as all magic incorporates tricks to appear real.
Since Robinson goes on to describe the feat in such details, I agree with you that there must be some technique nehind this. I mean something which helps you perform this without damaging the throat. As for the real life, I haven't seen any ever, but some of the folks say they have watched a performance or documentary. So there should be some truth to it.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I was fascinated to read this in the book as I have studied matters like conjuring and tricks such as mind reading and sword swallowing. There is definitely a way of learning to swallow swords but it is extremely dangerous. I am just extremely sceptical about the performances in which he swallows five swords. I honestly do not believe that this is possible. However, if there is one thing that I have seen from the world of exhibitions and performance, and that is that people are able to train themselves to do extraordinary things that seem impossible, at first glance. The dedication and time involved are incredible. I would like to check whether this act has been recorded in the Guinness Book of Records.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Tobiasblackwell »

I honestly believe that it's an art. Just like painting or cooking, it takes years of practice to master the art of sword swallowing. Not to mention the mental discipline to relax one's entire body when doing something so precarious.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”