Which Character Do You Prefer?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Which Character Do You Prefer?

Post by K Geisinger »

Without question, I prefer Duke. While many people are not sure where their lives may lead, Gary rarely makes any choices and the choices he makes are rarely good. He also has a very poor sense of self and how his choices are impacting his life. Duke knows what he wants, he just may make bad decisions getting there. His alcoholism got him in trouble, but he always knew he loved the circus and was meant to perform. He was by no means a perfect character, but he knew himself, both his flaws and his mind.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I definitely found Duke's story more compelling. He certainly had his issues, but he took responsibility for his action and he made a point to constantly be trying to better himself. He was proud of who he was and he was willing to pour himself into others.

Gary, on the other hand, was aimless and ambitionless. He wanted life to be handed to him and he wanted to be the best at something without having to work for it. Unfortunately, this is a common theme with the generation that he is supposed to be from in the book. I really appreciated that Duke challenged him to be more than he was, to reach for what he wanted and to live life to the fullest so that he could get it.
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi Finger »

I am not finished reading the book yet but I really enjoyed reading about Duke. I am having a hard time getting through the college sexual frat tricks. Hopefully the Chico Kid story gets exciting soon.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Duke actually had a very unique story. Gary was an aggravating, immature jerk who didn't care who he hurt. Duke only ever seemed to hurt himself. I truly could have just read the first portion about Duke and done without the rest. I'm glad to have at least seen that Gary claimed to be changed by Duke. I felt sorry for Duke but I never really developed any empathy for Gary. Maybe that was partially do to having very little background to understand his addiction.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

My favorite character was Duke and I enjoyed particularly reading about his life of adventures. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with both of them towards the end of the book. Gary was destroying his life because of his addiction and careless decisions, I was hoping to see a positive change in him through Duke, instead, they start to use cocaine together and there was never any character progression.
blessedshild
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blessedshild »

I will say duke, because he went through a lot and also was ready for any challenge, he was a street boy and was exposed.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I like Duke more and I would love to see all real sword swallow show. The two characters have similarities and I like them both.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I prefer Duke because we get his complete story. The story about Gary is also compelling but we don't know what will happen in the future. Will he ever fall back into needing his "medicine"? There is some indication that he became a grandfather, but there is a big gap with no further information.
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

I felt a reader's connection to both characters, as they were both needing my empathy. Duke was more grounded, despite being a drug user and alcoholic, while Gary just never was able to settle. He kept trying to 'find' himself by making making self destructive poor choices. I found it interesting how in almost every situation Gary was invovled in, it seemed there was always someone there who gave him a helping hand or had empathy for his needs. Duke presented himself with much more character strength. I liked his mentoring of Gary. It was as if he needed to purge his own chaotic past and be forgiven by a higher power. In the end, I would have to say I liked Duke better.
Ericanielsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericanielsen.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ericanielsen »

I prefer Duke but that might be the way the book was written. With Duke we were able to see more of his life and gain a more meaningful relationship. When talking about his own life, I felt like the author rushed his own stories. I felt like we weren’t able to connect to him as much.
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by bobbiebryner »

I was actually surprised to enjoy this book. This is not my typical genre, and I admit I was rather skeptical before I began reading it. I loved it, though. The character development was superb. Instead of contributing to a climatic plot, each event served the purpose of revealing a layer of the character involved.

Because of this, I found each character equally likable. I could relate to each character on some level. Duke was a product of his upbringing. His attempt to escape that lifestyle drove him to an equally destructive lifestyle. Duke had heart which I found endearing and honorable. He reached out to those around him and offered a nonjudgmental ear. I felt I could relate to his work ethic and sarcastic wit.

Gary reminded me of my own adult children and the clients that I work with. I have seen them start down the path of self destruction. I remember being in their place years ago. For me, Gary's story was a glimpse to my past. Although I was not an active participant in the hedonism at that time, I remember attending these types of events with my friends. Knowing how many of friends ended up, it is hard for me to witness the youth of today making the same bad choices.

For me, I don't have a preference because I can relate to both characters. One is where I was, and one is where I am.
J3nnif3rbattl3s
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by J3nnif3rbattl3s »

Im not really sure i like both of them so different but fits perfectly together.
Lolo Skyooz
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Hill House
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo-skyooz.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Lolo Skyooz »

For me, you've just got to love Duke. The tattoos, the swagger, the whole macho man thing...I just love him.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

The eponymous hero Duke has been showcased as the daredevil par excellence, so much so that it is difficult for the reader not to be ensnared in his narrative and clammer for his success.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I admired both characters for being able to later influence each other's lives in a meaningful way but I overall prefer Dukes' character because he seems to be more personable and sensitive.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”