What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Julie Green
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by Julie Green » 09 Jul 2018, 14:55

I think the perceived allure of the circus life revolves around issues of independence, and breaking free from social mores and responsibilities. I have not personally been to a circus since my childhood and, in truth, travelling fairs are rare nowadays...

fanix1718
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanix1718.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by fanix1718 » 09 Jul 2018, 20:58

I think circus life has changed a lot. People are not as impresed with the old tricks. They need new stuff like they do in Cirque du Soleil. With that in mind circus people have a lot in their plates. I think that maybe is more stressfull now than it was in the past.

Richard Whitehead
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead » 10 Jul 2018, 00:40

The most fascinating thing that I noticed about Circus is the risk they undergo in an attempt to make money.

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 11 Jul 2018, 07:10

I think the circus will always have the allure of being exotic and outside the normal everyday experience of most people. I think, in years past this was where people went when they were on the outskirts of society. Either because they desired extraordinary experiences, or they had defects or disabilities which caused them to be viewed as "freaks".
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 11 Jul 2018, 07:11

I think the circus will always have the allure of being exotic and outside the normal everyday experience of most people. I think, in years past this was where people went when they were on the outskirts of society. Either because they desired extraordinary experiences, or they had defects or disabilities which caused them to be viewed by society as "freaks". It was a place to be with those who also felt marginalized.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Eryn Bradshaw
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Eryn Bradshaw » 12 Jul 2018, 07:45

I think circus life is interesting to the outside observer. I know P. T. Barnum didn't start the idea of a circus, but it's the most recent piece of media that's kind of about circus life. The fact that some circuses, like Barnum's, capitalized on "freaks" give intrigue to someone who might consider themselves as normal. And even circuses that focus more on the talent of individuals, it's got to be something that's extremely hard to keep up with. The talents of some circus people are absolutely incredible, they must have a lot of passion and dedication to that specific talent.

Personally, I haven't been to circus ever. I've seen them on TV and in media. I've seen acts that could've been in a circus at theme parks. I'd be interested to go to a circus once to experience what it's like to take in a show in person though.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

LaurenHaupt
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by LaurenHaupt » 12 Jul 2018, 20:40

It's like Halloween. Gives you a chance to feel like a kid again.

juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by juliamenez » Yesterday, 13:41

I think the fascination of circus life is much like the fascination with feats of intense athleticism. I am impressed by gymnastics, and my favorite part of watching the circus (though it has been a while) is always the acrobats.

In a bad sense of the word "fascinating", I am fascinated that circuses still make money off of mistreating animals. I really just like circuses like "Cirque du Soleil" that avoid harm to animals.

pagesonfire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagesonfire.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by pagesonfire » Yesterday, 17:23

I think it's voyeurism and sensationalism to some degree. We're excited about the unusual and strange in any other part of life as well and I guess circus life is just seen as ~exotic~, which is a huge appeal to some people.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”