What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by Christina Rose »

Snowflake wrote: 04 May 2018, 19:57 I think it's the excitement of watching others lead a daring life that draws many people in. I've never been to a circus though. I've just never had the opportunity. I don't like the idea of animals being mistreated or leading a confined life though. It would be interesting to see the human acts though.
I don't like the idea of animals being mistreated, either. More than likely, people didn't look at it quite that way when the circus first started. We're definitely more aware now. The human acts have always intrigued me. I find them both entertaining and amazing.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mandel wrote: 05 May 2018, 08:06 Personally I have never been to any circus but from watching it on television ,circuses look amusing catching the fun and enjoyment of every person, bring out child in every adult. What fascinates everyone the most is the really extreme and insane tricks displayed by the people at the circus. Another thing is the variety of food and fun games available outside .
The food and games really do tie the whole experience together. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

strawberrysab wrote: 05 May 2018, 14:35
Uche Balogun wrote: 04 May 2018, 04:56
Vlinstry wrote: 01 May 2018, 11:32 Still reading the book but I can say that I have always found the circus life so alluring. I am a weird one because I don't actually like going to what most people think of as the circus as I am terrified of clowns, but I do love the more traditional cirucus' with the ideas being centred around misfits and the strange, yet wonderful. I love the pull of the circus. I love that it seems like a way of escaping the every day. It looks like it is a way to be part of a faimily and to bring joy to lots of other people at the same time.

Once I have finished the book I will be able to answer your other questions.
This reminds me of the movie, The Greatest Showman.
Ah! I watched it a few days ago for the first time and loved it!!
I knew I'd like the movie when I first saw the trailer, but I didn't realize just how much I'd enjoy it! The cast, the soundtrack, everything is great. :)
Ghem1121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ghem1121 »

Ever since I’ve been wondering what or how is the life in a circus?i love going to any circus show and by reading this book it gives me more knowledge and understand circus life .
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

cristinaro wrote: 01 May 2018, 03:04 One of the protagonists in Gary Robison's book is Duke Reynolds, a man who runs away from a dysfunctional family environment to join the traveling circus. He soon becomes the Sword Swallower and entertains people not only inside the circus tent, but also on every city street corner.

Duke's plunge into circus life reminded me of the Russian literary critic Mikhail Bakhtin who saw the carnival and carnivalesque as a celebration of freedom, a means of escaping social norms and conventions. At the circus, we are all ready to embrace the carnival atmosphere and forget restrictions.

1. What do you think of the mirage of circus life in general?
2. Are you still going to the circus? What do you love/hate most about the circus?
3. How is circus life described in the book?
4. Is Duke satisfied with his new life as a sword swallower?
Generally, I think of circus as an entertainment and a very interesting getaway from the stress in life. I like various circus stunt though I don't go into a paid event. Duke trembling while performing the stunt made me think, he did not really enjoy it. He was just doing it for money. As a grown-up, I still wonder how the circus performers do the tricks without getting hurt.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I think in the book the circus has many connotations. The circus is an allegory of the world, where magic exists. It is a magical place, where miracles happen on a daily basis. Hence, it becomes a haven for misfits, social outcasts, and runaways from dysfunctional families, as it frees them of shame and inferiority.
Igbuku prospect
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Igbuku prospect »

well the circus as i see it is a miraid . it is just like puting oneself to reality
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I think the circus is a place where people can go to release all the tensions of the world outside of the tent. The circus is wild, fun, daring, exciting, and rare. People often express how they're obsessed with "exotic" places, love trying new things, and need an adrenaline rush and such to get away from the dull cycle of everyday life. And, in either attending or joining the circus, one becomes permanently infused (memories or otherwise) with a culture that feels unreal and is safeguarded from the troubles of the outside world.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

In reading the first few pages of the Sword SWallower and a Chico Kid, the excitement, suspense and the awe associated with circus life immediately begin to unfold. As a reader, I begin to feel the magic and energy of such moments that this author skillfully and succinctly captures. The incredible feat is a core aspect of the fascination accompanied with the eye-catching costumes and the fanfare music.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

The circus life is not very fascinating but the book is worth reading anyway.
bwill93
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bwill93.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by bwill93 »

I've never been to a circus but to be honest I would totally check it out if one came to my town. There is indeed something very alluring about the unknown, about the taboo and bizarre nature of humans that does not normally get exposure in regular daily life. There is a liberation in being able to embrace the "strange" side of humanity.
Gabrielle Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Gabrielle Rose »

Actually, Circus is one way to give Entertainment satisfaction to everyone not only to children but also to adult.I am so much fun of magical entertainment.I felt like I always experienced life as eccentric and magical even I fought life as Circus life.Though,Circus life is giving 100% of your effort, fulfillment not just from audience/viewers but also to the person performing magical.Satisfaction, happiness that each moment performing in front of the audience, Its always the first time performing it.Circus is chaotic, animated, exhilarating, and dangerous. :)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think the circus environment intrigues people because we see new and unexpected things. The different daring acts, the animals, the laughs and the food all contribute to a memorable experience. I have not been to a circus in many years. I think the author described the circus as a family. Spending so much time together and having to work as a team and depend on each other draws them together.

No, I don't believe Duke was satisfied with his life as a sword swallower. He was continually changing and adding to his act. Even though he had found a new family, he continued to live a dysfunctional life by consuming alcohol and drugs.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I've never really been to a circus but what I've seen on TV is downright fascinating! I love watching performers do incredible things and I often wonder how much time and dedication was put in to be able reach that level. It's just amazing.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

euriaokoli55 wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:07 When I think of a circus life, i think its a kind of life where you show your talents without fear. It entertains the people. I myself, I enjoy it a lot. Sometimes, I think that they use spiritual powers lol, but then I like it the more. It isn't something that should be done always otherwise people see it as a nuisance.
I understand what you mean regarding the circus
It isn't something that should be done always otherwise people see it as a nuisance.
That's why I believe the circus being in your town or city once a year. The thrill and excitement I had from going to the circus was the suspense of new and improved acts to see. You could always count on the performances to be bigger and better than the year before. Despite knowing what you were going to see, year after year, it always seemed like the first time.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”