What is so fascinating about circus life?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: What is so fascinating about circus life?

Post by PlanetHauth »

Duke's plunge into circus life reminded me of the Russian literary critic Mikhail Bakhtin who saw the carnival and carnivalesque as a celebration of freedom, a means of escaping social norms and conventions. At the circus, we are all ready to embrace the carnival atmosphere and forget restrictions.
I think that's exactly why circus life is so appealing to some. The circus and carnival represent freedom on a couple of fronts. First, particularly for the character, the circus is his freedom from his family. He no longer has to deal with them if he doesn't want to. He has control over the situation now, where he didn't before.

Second, the idea of the circus or carnival as "a means of escaping social norms and conventions" is absolutely correct. When you think circus, what do you picture? I picture animal performances and clowns to start, but thinking back on older versions of the circus, I picture "freaks" and the abnormal things they could do for performances. The Bearded Lady, the Strong Man, and any others (though some were absolutely manufactured "freaks") all represent a break from the normal. The circus has always been a safe-harbor of sorts for "freaks." Circuses built themselves up on a foundation of abnormal, so it's really no wonder why people would see them as a point of freedom.

Third (I know, I said only a couple points), the circus or carnival could have been a means of financial freedom for some. Granted, money depended on customer attendance, but think about it. You don't need a formal education to work in the circus. If you could perform manual labor of some kind or create an act that would entertain audiences, you were pretty much set for circus work. That could potentially make the circus a haven for folks who couldn't afford education or formal training in a trade. Now, this may not be true in modern circuses, and may absolutely be an outdated point of view. I was thinking more in past on this particular point.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

There is just something about the circus that keeps you coming back year after year. Growing up in the inner city, the circus was a magical place to attend. Although we often went to the zoo, the circus animals were both exciting and scary. The thrill of seeing uncaged lions, tigers and bear was captivating. Entering a live show under the big top tent where the smell of cotton candy and popcorn greeted you as you walked in, was special. The anticipation of seeing death-defying acts made your heart race and each year you could not wait for something new. From the dancing horses, men/women flying through the air, tight-rope walking, and not to forget the clowns in all shapes and sizes, created a mystical place to be. For me, the world of the circus was a place where those that were considered weird, outlandish, and freaks of nature, could be happy at. As you get older and the magic that was so real to you at the age of 6,7 or 9, is just an illusion, you still want to go to The Greatest Show On Earth.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I feel that circus life, to someone not familiar with it, would definitely be interesting and exotic. It would also definitely allow the visitor to gain a sense of freedom, of celebration which is usually not present in their everyday lives. However, with regards to Baktin's somewhat hedonistic notion of the carnival, I am of the opinion that "free expression without constraints" is still dependent on many external factors - we would first have to define what "free expression" is, especially in a world of stereotypes as the book seems to be.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

P0tt3ry wrote: 01 May 2018, 09:56 The circus has always fascinated me because it seems to be a foreign country that travels from place to place. My father was a carnie during his teens and early twenties. He'd entertain us with stories of the behind-the-scene aspects of tear-down and set-up, including the mishaps. I visualized a close family on a constant adventure. The book described circus life but not in-depth. I wanted to know more about the Duke's circus family and was disappointed that people he was close to just disappeared from the story. Duke was an adrenaline junky and sword swallowing, with the constant chance of death, satisfied the itch. Adding more and more acts struck me as a way for him to find new ways to achieve the adrenaline high.
I bet your father had some great stories! A close family on a constant adventure is how I would imagine the circus life, as well. I'm sure you can't help but develop a close relationship in such an atmosphere of danger and tight quarters.
I like your use of the term adrenaline junky - it fits the situation and personality.
Vg345
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vg345.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Vg345 »

Not a big fan of circus life. Definitely wouldn't choose it for myself. I hear it's fascinating. I don't share the fascination.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think the allure of the circus is that it seems magical. It is an escape from reality. Also, there is the danger which appeals to thrill-seekers. Lastly, I think Duke goes there because they accept him and become his family.
inkoncedar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by inkoncedar »

The escapism than the usual daily routines and they travel.
peacfulreader
Currently Reading:

Post by peacfulreader »

As a young girl, pre-teen, my dream was to join the circus and escape the unpredictability of my everyday life. I was sure that the trust, smiles, and friendships that I would see each year play out before me had to be genuine. I imagined that it would be a life of known excitement and the only unknown was that of who was in the next town. I still love the circus and often daydream about what it would be like, but for now, I'll have to settle living through the pages that embrace the circus life.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

teacherjh wrote: 03 May 2018, 11:13 I think the allure of the circus is that it seems magical. It is an escape from reality. Also, there is the danger which appeals to thrill-seekers. Lastly, I think Duke goes there because they accept him and become his family.
As an outsider looking in, I tend to agree with your assessment. The circus life does seem accepting, magical, and thrilling.
syniztrsam

Post by syniztrsam »

The constant change of scenery, the excitement of the challenges in preforming, the roar and laughter of the crowd. These are the things that excites, these are the things that exults.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I think traditional circuses have gained a bad reputation in recent years because of cases of animal cruelty which have been brought to life. I wouldn't visit any circus which featured animal acts.
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

The being part of a jolly, queer company, the travelling to new places and meeting new people, the non-conformity, these make circus life fascinating.
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

Vlinstry wrote: 01 May 2018, 11:32 Still reading the book but I can say that I have always found the circus life so alluring. I am a weird one because I don't actually like going to what most people think of as the circus as I am terrified of clowns, but I do love the more traditional cirucus' with the ideas being centred around misfits and the strange, yet wonderful. I love the pull of the circus. I love that it seems like a way of escaping the every day. It looks like it is a way to be part of a faimily and to bring joy to lots of other people at the same time.

Once I have finished the book I will be able to answer your other questions.
This reminds me of the movie, The Greatest Showman.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I think I can take on questions 1 & 3 ... The book describes circus life as essentially an eccentric family operating at a frenzied pace. It's interesting, but understandable, that they come together only part of the year; the remainder of the year, they're on their own. It felt to me like a giant family reunion, complete with idiosyncracies, private jokes, and lots of love and respect for each other.

It was also portrayed as an arena where the 'odd' was acceptable but we're talking a time when tattoos were considered for sailors and freaks, which is contrary to current thinking. I'm not sure why it surprised me that the drug use started with the circus; certainly if one considers the pace they have to keep, it shouldn't be a shock. In contrast, I found it interesting when the circus management got on to Duke about his overuse when they essentially provided the foundation.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I only remember being at a circus once in my life as a young kid. I don’t remember much more than being a little bit afraid of the clowns and the place being full of people and dark and smelly.

I think your comment about the draw of the circus being related to freedom is certainly interesting. It makes sense from both sides. Visitors go to the circus to be able to be in awe of amazing things that are somewhat outside the normal societal conventions. People that are a part of the circus seem to enjoy the freedom of being counter-cultural and being able to be true to themselves.

The Night Circus embraced some of these things, too. While that circus was also a sort of prison, its main draw seemed to be the freedom to experience magic and wonder. I think that is what draws us to many things like this.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”