Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
azerikaj
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by azerikaj » 08 Aug 2018, 19:54

FictionLover wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 06:36
azerikaj wrote:
01 May 2018, 14:51
When I read it before, I liked about half of it.(I will read it again, before the end of the month, just in case I felt as though it was my job as a reviewer to be Queen of the Hardasses or something.) I was sort of offended by the stereotype of the innocent disabled characters that always show up to show both these guys What Really Matters in life, though. Gag.
I'm reading it now and (about 40% done) and I'm not very impressed. I might have to join you in the Queen of the Hardass Reviewer Club because I'm starting to think that 4 star reviews are cheap around here.

Not only are all his friends angels, but this guy is a superhero, guzzling vodka and meth for years and still able to function.

:angelic-cyan:
Oh, I am a hard-ass reviewer, I just needed to be sure I wasn't unfair because this book has some of my least favorite tropes in it. From what I understand, about the drug issue, human bodies, especially young ones, can take a fair bit of punishment. However, given that the narrator(and presumably the author) supposedly faced his issues, there does seem to be some denial in it. Feel you on the 4 stars.

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Currently Reading: The Art of Sane Ageing for Women
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: The Art of Sane Aging for Women by Camille Goscicki
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 08 Aug 2018, 20:15

azerikaj wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 19:54
FictionLover wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 06:36
azerikaj wrote:
01 May 2018, 14:51
When I read it before, I liked about half of it.(I will read it again, before the end of the month, just in case I felt as though it was my job as a reviewer to be Queen of the Hardasses or something.) I was sort of offended by the stereotype of the innocent disabled characters that always show up to show both these guys What Really Matters in life, though. Gag.
I'm reading it now and (about 40% done) and I'm not very impressed. I might have to join you in the Queen of the Hardass Reviewer Club because I'm starting to think that 4 star reviews are cheap around here.

Not only are all his friends angels, but this guy is a superhero, guzzling vodka and meth for years and still able to function.

:angelic-cyan:
Oh, I am a hard-ass reviewer, I just needed to be sure I wasn't unfair because this book has some of my least favorite tropes in it. From what I understand, about the drug issue, human bodies, especially young ones, can take a fair bit of punishment. However, given that the narrator(and presumably the author) supposedly faced his issues, there does seem to be some denial in it. Feel you on the 4 stars.
Yes, younger people can tolerate and lot and bounce back. But not with meth, not for years.

:tiphat:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

azerikaj
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by azerikaj » 09 Aug 2018, 15:13

kind of sanitized. Except for vomit! Plenty of that in most of the chapters.

braithwaite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by braithwaite » 10 Aug 2018, 20:07

I loved the story. The friendship that developed between Gary and Chico kid was fascinating

nicoledsewell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by nicoledsewell » 14 Aug 2018, 16:21

I mean some parts of the book I thought were kinda mean... It wasn't a bad book... I'm give it a 6

Lvillegas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Lvillegas » 14 Aug 2018, 23:08

When I first started to read it, I was shocked and felt suspense in that it wasn't what I expected. I thought it might be a young adult book based upon the cover. Then, upon reading it I became shocked about the openness of the topic.
This is not for the meek.

SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SMwathi » 23 Aug 2018, 04:55

I will be reading the book soon. I have read some reviews and I feel the book is good. I hope the book will be interesting.

SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SMwathi » 23 Aug 2018, 04:56

I will be reading the book soon. I have read some reviews and I feel the book is good. I hope the book will be interesting.

Swinkels
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Swinkels » 25 Aug 2018, 13:16

It was hard for me to get into this book, but once I got about half way through I ended up enjoying it. I feel they under played the woment characters, but if you think about the time frame of where this story is, women always played small parts. But I still feel I understood what roles the women were in since this book was supposed to be about Duke anyways. I don't agree with how the people were treated by outsideres but sad to say, that is just how life was back then. Overall, this was a good book, different from what I noramlly ready, but still a pretty good read.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”