Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by Amy+++ »

It sounds great but with some of the drug references that are mentioned within the book I do not think that I could read this book, or referrer it to anyone else. I admire the author of the book for being able to write about his past and be able to own it.
danopsy
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danopsy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by danopsy »

The book really caught my attention by winning the book of the month, read the review and am in love with it, just starting the book, guess will b back to discuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book fell short of my expectations. The decadence, apathy, no dignity for disabled persons and poor editing just rubbed me off the wrong way.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I keep hearing great things about this book but I'm still not sure if I want to read it or not. It seems a little slow for my taste and the cover art really doesn't grab my attention.
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

I have not read this book as of yet. I have it in my want to read shelf. From the review it sounds like a very interesting read. I get the impression that Gary lives a very interesting and different life from most people. Hoping to get to it soon.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
FawkesThorn
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkesthorn.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by FawkesThorn »

I haven't read "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" but I am interested in reading it. I liked the plot of the story about a Sword Swallower meeting and becoming friends with a child both having their own troubles.
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

melissy370 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 11:45 I was not a fan of this book and I did not finish it. I knew going into it that it had drug usage in it, but I was willing to give it a shot because I knew there was redemption in the end. Besides the drug issues, I did not like the language and sexual innuendos. Just not the book for me.
I am glad I read your post. I was thinking about reading it when I got a chance, but the information in your post makes me think that it probably is not the book for me either. Appreciate your post.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I could not find anything in this book that would entice me into reading the entire story. The dependence on alcohol and drugs in the characters of Duke and Gary was not appealing to me.
Jolie ann Vargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Jolie ann Vargas »

I'm still reading the book right now, but so far I'm enjoying the story. I dont have enough idea about the culture of the other countries but this book help me to understand the situation of the other country compare to my country. This is really a nice story explaining what the other countries have and it keep my interest. The story is captivating my attention until through the end of the story. :techie-studyingbrown:
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

I have not read the book as yet, but the comments has helped me decide. I like the idea of the Circus life, but the alcohol, drug abuse and bad language has turned me off. Cudos to the Author for being brave to share his experience with us. I am sure it has appealed to many, especially those who has or is facing a similar situation.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

My favorite part of the book will have to be between reading on how Duke and Gary interact and help each other, and the description of the circus life. Overall, I'm happy with the book, I'll give it 8/10.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

I have started reading the book. Some parts are really entertaining and some are, let's say, normal. Although I have enjoyed reading about the circus life. I am looking forward to completing the book.
Ibeh12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibeh12.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Ibeh12 »

The characters in the book are too superficial for my liking. I don't think I like to give the book a second read.
danopsy
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danopsy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by danopsy »

Just read the book but didnt get to like it as much as you people have, like some of the story line dont look realistic
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Sword swallowing, Yikes! I have to admit am also 50 50 into this book. The stereotyping did not agree with me, either way, I managed to finish it. It had its good moments and bad but all in all I'm glad I got to learn something new.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”