Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by Tobiasblackwell »

Not sure how I feel about the book. I feel that there wasn't enough character development for me to get attached to the characters. They seem to just exist on paper and not in my imagination.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is an incredible book. The sections are page turner. I explicitly love the short tales about various societies, individuals and their way of life.The book easily captures my attention from the beginning right from the title.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I really enjoyed it very much. But the presence of alcoholism, drug addiction, nudity was too much for me. I would have enjoyed it more if it was mentioned a little less. I would recommend it to mature readers who know right from wrong.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

The environment of the circus really puts the title into perspective. I love a book with vivid, well-rounded characters, so I might try this one. However, I am a little wary about the stereotypes I have been reading about in comments. Is there a purpose to this in the book? I'll have to see!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I did not love the book, to be honest. The plot was underdeveloped and it made the story jumpy. I did enjoy the mentorship/friendship that the character developed at the end.
Oliver_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-books.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Oliver_books »

I rate The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson 3 out of 4 stars. :techie-studyinggray:
I enjoyed the way Gary Robinson discussed with plenty of humor taboo topics such as religion, tattoos, and the oddity of Sword swallowing which makes the story even more ‘one of a kind’.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I have read such nice reviews about the book that its a shame I havent picked it up to read yet. I have sampled the book though, and I am rooting for it. I love to read about all the stunts.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I liked the book. The characters were well-developed and likeable, especially Duke. I enjoyed reading about circus life, and was surprised at how hard it is! I also liked the relationship between Gary and Duke. :techie-studyingbrown:
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Oliver_books wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 19:09 I rate The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson 3 out of 4 stars. :techie-studyinggray:
I enjoyed the way Gary Robinson discussed with plenty of humor taboo topics such as religion, tattoos, and the oddity of Sword swallowing which makes the story even more ‘one of a kind’.
That was my rating, too--3 of 4 stars. Good book; interesting characters; but not what I would call a classic.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I was drawn into the book because of its name. So I decided to give it a try. I loved the writing style and characters. I give the rating 4 out of 4 stars.
Chelsea Elaine S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsea-elaine-s.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by Chelsea Elaine S »

Great story, I like the connection between the sword swallower and Gary. But I was hoping the character of Angel would be developed. She only has a bit of exposure but if you think about it, she had a huge impact on Gary's character.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Two different personalities living totally different lives cross paths and life takes a huge unexpected turn for both of them. There were times when I creeped out whenever the tension was built before the sword swallowing act. I was happy with how the book turned out in the end. No spoilers! Everyone should add this book to their shelves.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I must say I put off reading the book because of the title. I read it and I am not for one minute sorry that I read it. At some stages, it is inspiring, but overall disturbing because drug use and alcoholism just seem normal in these people's lives. I rated this book 3 out of 4 because of some grammar and spelling errors.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

I have gone 50percent of this book. I have loved and enjoyed the story so far. At least there is so much to learn about alcoholism and drug abuse. I will rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. Although I don't fancy the idea of using disabled people as a form of entertainment.
Agbata Donald 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-donald-1.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Agbata Donald 1 »

This book was dispensable. Although the scenes in this book might be irritating to some people. But I love it, however.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”