Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by azerikaj »

Vincent, yeah, other people do sometimes remind us what's important, but I thought that most of the supporting characters in that book were just props for the main character's realizations, and I thought the characterizations of everyone who wasn't Duke and Chico was a little weak.
Amy, I usually like addiction narratives a lot, but this one left me cold.
v_for_vincent
Favorite Book: Good to Great
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by v_for_vincent »

SamSim wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 13:12
azerikaj wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:13 I agree. I think they were all stereotypes, of one kind or another. Like every woman in the book--very underwritten characters.
I haven't read the book yet, but the frequency of comments like these from people who have make me feel like I'm not missing much.
The book is good you should read it, it's a fast read the first two parts are so good on there out look.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I have mixed feelings about this book, while some say it is great in the first parts it makes me wonder does it fall flat at the end? I cant stand that type of book.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

azerikaj wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 15:18 Vincent, yeah, other people do sometimes remind us what's important, but I thought that most of the supporting characters in that book were just props for the main character's realizations, and I thought the characterizations of everyone who wasn't Duke and Chico was a little weak.
Im glad to read ypur review, i believe our line if thinking is somewhat similar and i believe i would most likely be left with the same feelings. I need solid supporting character lines to add depth to a book im reading...sounds like this isnt one for me. Thanks for your review!
mllamisaamadi
Currently Reading: The Rock Stars of Neuroscience
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by mllamisaamadi »

the sword swallow and chico kids is an imaginary story that impressed me most,the characters have acoholism as a common social behaviour,sword swallow when ever he performs in the street,the other had the opportunity of been a president of student club,an encouraging and expository in study,i rate it 4-4stars,the author is excellent at his narration
Cdeutsch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdeutsch.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Cdeutsch »

I gave it a 2/4 because the writing was questionable and I just couldn't find any reason to like Gary which also might be due to the writing style.

I found myself wondering if the biography Duke tells Gary was being written by Starlight was ever actually written. I would be interested to read that because the part about Duke was fascinating to me.
zandri
Currently Reading: The Adventure of Smelly Sock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandri.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by zandri »

When I first saw the cover of the book, I was immediately interested. The reviews, however, changed my mind. It seems that the book starts off with a bang, but looses some of its oomph along the way. I am still on the fence about reading this book.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I was about to start this book today, but reading some reviewer's say that the female characters were underdeveloped pretty much made me lose interest.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
v_for_vincent
Favorite Book: Good to Great
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by v_for_vincent »

azerikaj wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 15:18 Vincent, yeah, other people do sometimes remind us what's important, but I thought that most of the supporting characters in that book were just props for the main character's realizations, and I thought the characterizations of everyone who wasn't Duke and Chico was a little weak.
Chico was the best part of the book. I didn't find the first part as trilling. The kid's part have the book a time that allows you to finish it at peace. When I say weak, I understand his role was written pretty soft. But that evens out the novel plot
Maxxe Riann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxxe-riann.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Maxxe Riann »

Love the idea of multiple perspectives. I already like stories about spectacle (ie sword swallowing!) and illusion. Not so sure about tattoos/drugs/etc. The wordplay and use of language sounds like something to look forward to. Can't wait to read this!
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I unfortunately did not read the book to completion simply because I did not like it. I thought that the beginning was a litlle bit too flat for me that is getting to know Duke and Gary. Overally, I wasnt impressed. Ill try giving it a second chance though.
MA
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I don't like it so much overall. I found the characters shallow and the narrative incoherent, descending into scene after gross scene without much point to it. Some attempt was made to explain why the characters were the way they were, but it could all have had more dimensions to it.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

I tried to develop an interest in the plot of this book but it failed to generate much enthusiasm for me. The struggles with addiction ad some depth but the way female characters are portrayed is a real issue for me. I do find the people who live in the world of the circus sideshow very interesting, but I didn't find that to be featured much in this offering.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

My least favorite part of the book was the drug overdosing, every other part is my favorite parts or at least the good parts
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

anwidmer wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 06:50
azerikaj wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 15:18

Im glad to read ypur review, i believe our line if thinking is somewhat similar and i believe i would most likely be left with the same feelings. I need solid supporting character lines to add depth to a book im reading...sounds like this isnt one for me. Thanks for your review!
You are totally welcome...I'm sure my opinions about books are worth what you are paying for them.:)

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”