"All you have is today."

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Disneyland
2019 Reading Goal: 17
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneyland.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: "All you have is today."

Post by Disneyland » 18 Sep 2018, 17:54

'All you have is today', could be one of the greatest secrets that 'success' or the 'taste of accomplishments' in life, reveals to us! It encourages us towards the efforts made by us for achieving our goals and fills us with true purposefulness. However achieving such a spontaneous state of being amidst all the turmoil of life is yet another question. I think that this philosophical thought could be the product of Duke's job of swallowing swords by risking his life every time! He had a chance to know life from close quarters!

Kishor Rao
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Kishor Rao » 25 Nov 2018, 01:18

Duke has learned and experienced many things in life and its one of the very principles he is supposed to live by given his dangerous profession. I, on the other hand, cling to the past a little more than I want myself to.
We readers are never out of books to read. Read my latest review and pick your new book!

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The sword swallower and the chico kid
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Radiant3 » 27 Dec 2018, 20:53

I think Duke tried to live just for the moment because it made living in the present more bearable for him. He missed circus life and the friends he had there. If he dwelled on the past he would not be able to function in the present. He knew he was getting older and looked at the future with some trepidation. So for him to live happily, he had to live in the present.
Also, that always seemed to be his way, even when he was part of the circus, living for the moment.

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shrabastee » 15 Jan 2019, 03:34

kfwilson6 wrote:
09 May 2018, 20:43
"Yesterday is just a memory and tomorrow is not guaranteed, " Duke told Gary.

Do you think Duke was true to living by this sentiment?
Do you live by this or are you too stuck in the past or too worried about the future?
Duke's entire life is a demonstration of this sentence. In fact the feat of sword-swallowing is also just that, you know you did okay yesterday, you might or might not be there tomorrow to swallow the swords, it all depends on whether you can manage to do so today without damaging yourself.

As for myself, I guess I am too worried about the future. I reminisce of the past, but try not to dwell too much on that. However, the future has a way of scaring me! Guess I should really learn from Duke, but then again, not at all bothering about the future does not seem like a wise choice, either.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”