What genres/books do you prefer during different occasions?

A free choice month
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 96
Currently Reading: The Choice
Bookshelf Size: 434
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Picture Perfect by D.G. Stern
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

What genres/books do you prefer during different occasions?

Post by hsimone » 02 May 2018, 05:11

• For a beach day, I would want something light.
  • For a rainy day, I would want a fantasy/adventurous read, so I can escape to an exciting new world.
  • For a long plane ride, I'd want a lengthy book.
  • For a short drive, I'd want something I can easily pop in and out of.
What do you think? What genres/books do you find yourself reading for different occasions? These occasions could be anything - time of day, seasonal, traveling, holiday-based, weather-based, going to a coffee shop, cuddling under a blanket, etc. :techie-studyingbrown:
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

jenjayfromSA
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA » 03 May 2018, 02:35

People laugh because I usually have 2 or 3 books going at once - unless one is a real pageturner that you can't put down. It all depends on mood. I also re-read favourites that I know will match my mood. When I'm very tired its children's stories (well, YA anyway, or a good fantasy, preferably one I know I will enjoy). On a rainy day something with a bit of pulling power - a good thriller, perhaps, as it has to compete with the family watching TV (can't bear most of that stuff, particularly soapies). Holiday reading? That's usually when I get into new authors for a touch of the unexpected. Depressed? Comfort food, old favourites, or a warm-hearted family novel. I took the three-volume Lord of the RIngs when I went into hospital to have my daughter. The nurses thought it was very funny. Needless to say, I didn't finish it!

Shrabastee
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Shrabastee » 03 May 2018, 06:04

hsimone wrote:
02 May 2018, 05:11
  • For a beach day, I would want something light.
  • For a rainy day, I would want a fantasy/adventurous read, so I can escape to an exciting new world.
  • For a long plane ride, I'd want a lengthy book.
  • For a short drive, I'd want something I can easily pop in and out of.
What do you think? What genres/books do you find yourself reading for different occasions? These occasions could be anything - time of day, seasonal, traveling, holiday-based, weather-based, going to a coffee shop, cuddling under a blanket, etc. :techie-studyingbrown:
You summarised it very well. My choice is similar in many ways. For a rainy day, something from horror genre; for a cold windy winter day, a fast paced thriller; for a summer holiday, may be a romantic story or any character driven story. After a long and strenuous day, a light read, may be a chick lit; when I have got very short time periods for reading, a collection of short stories;when I have got loads of time, a lengthy historical novel perhaps; for a free weekend, may be a science fiction? And for any day, any mood, a fantasy story is all I need! :)

NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 383
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by NL Hartje » 05 May 2018, 23:57

Well, I am (sadly) one of the humans who cannot read in the car so I'm enviously reading your inclusions of short, car reads.

In general, I suppose I always want a lengthy book, and I always want a series (if I am reading for pleasure).

Your question has set me to wondering if I actually DO have different preferences for different scenarios though. :eusa-think:

I don't think I've ever chosen a book based on when I'll be reading it. Whatever I'm reading works no matter where I am. It seems that, for me, I seek out books based more on my mood than my setting.

I have found myself recently hopping out of my preferred fantasy (or any fiction) genre to read non-fiction that relates to what's going on in my daily routine. Perhaps it's because I'm growing older, but I have lately been seeking out books on "boundaries," "how to say no," and "self-soothing." (Making myself sound super stable here aren't I? :lol2: )

Again, relating more to my mood/life than the setting, I suppose I seek out chick-lit when I'm feeling down and need a good laugh.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 883

Post by Gravy » 06 May 2018, 04:34

I am such an utter mood reader that the situation is completely irrelevant. :lol:

A few weird things though...
When I am stressed out and need a distraction, I turn to classics or graphic novels.
And I seem to start craving my sciency books when the cold weather starts in.

I am a weirdo. :teasing-tease:
If we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

We've all got light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.

Sketches_by_Shell
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell » 08 May 2018, 20:07

I want to learn things, even at this stage of my life, I lean towards non-fiction. I obsessed about Lady Diana and other royals for a long time, now I want to read more about Jackie Onassis. When I want something light, I reach for historical fiction. I enjoy many different genres though.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero

Return to “May 2018 Genre Discussion”