Anyone feel sorry for Alex?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Kathryn Price
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: " The Sword of Gabriel " by Tom Holloway

Anyone feel sorry for Alex?

Post by Kathryn Price » 08 May 2018, 17:40

I'm not saying that I personally pity him, but one could make the argument that Alex deserves some sympathy. He definitely loves his children, and if he could have gotten enough help with his alcoholism he might not have destroyed his relationships so thoroughly. I was willing Natty to save him when he fell into the river because I always tend to try to give people second chances, but I also understand why she couldn't respond in time and why it didn't grieve her very much after his death.

What do you think? Was Alex a total monster or did he deserve some pity?
"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world." - C.S. Lewis

TashaCrispin
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by TashaCrispin » 15 May 2018, 04:07

I felt a lot of empathy for Alex and I can confidently say he is not a total monster. People can get lost but with second chances, they could do better. If Natty saved him that day, maybe he could have changed his ways but I would also not judge her response. It was a messed up situation...

Nena_Morena
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Nena_Morena » Yesterday, 18:16

The alcohol brought the worst out of him, but even when he was sober he wasn't a very good man. We read he tried to hit on Irma despite the fact that she was married, he liked starting fights, he never took good care of the farm and he was totalitarian in the way he wanted people to do what he said. I met some alcoholic men but never any that beat a child like he did. Despite this, I don't think he deserved to die and I wish he could have accepted help for his alcoholism.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”