Age recommendations

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Age recommendations

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I'll recommend it to teenagers and young adults.
Ohno_Cosmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohno-cosmo.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Ohno_Cosmo »

Cristal2408 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 19:25
Human314 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:33 I think it should be read by teenagers. In order to open a dialogue about alcoholism and the importance of the parent to child relationship.
I agree. The main character himself is a teenager which facilitates the understanding of the message in the book. It could be read in a literature class in high school so the context and themes of the wisdom of age can be better analyzed. I think it is still not appropriate for children (12 under), as it is the kind of book where the older the better.
I concur. If teens are not allowed to read about this kind of stuff, where will they learn it? It is better for them to read about sex and alcoholism from a book chosen by their parents than other ways. Even if they pick the book up themselves that is good.
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Erick Bixen »

Supergirl1 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 02:27 I think this book is appropriate for teenagers and young adults.
I equally propose this.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I agree that age 16 and above would be suitable for this book.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
lisamcogutu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisamcogutu.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by lisamcogutu »

Human314 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 11:33 I think it should be read by teenagers. In order to open a dialogue about alcoholism and the importance of the parent to child relationship.
Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Perhaps teens and up? There may be some themes (e.g. alcoholism, abuse) that might not be so suitable for younger teens, but maybe 15++ would be a good age? These are topics that must be brought to their attention (especially since they unfortunately seem quite topical in today's society), and this book is as good a starting point as any :)
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Cristal2408 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 19:25
I agree. The main character himself is a teenager which facilitates the understanding of the message in the book. It could be read in a literature class in high school so the context and themes like the wisdom of age can be better analyzed. I think it is still not appropriate for children (12 under), as it is the kind of book where the older the better.
Yeah, I think difficult topics like this are really best for younger audiences when they're read in some sort of community / when there's open discussion around them to help process the harder parts and really get to the meaningful takeaways that can be gotten. I wonder if this sort of reading is helpful or hurtful to students who have dealt with problems similar to those in the book... I'd think it would provide a vehicle for processing through their experiences, but I don't really know.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Many children younger than a teenager go through extreme hardships that makes them grow up to fast. Some are broken but most persevere as children are resilient. With that said, I would recommend this book for High School sophomores and above with a disclaimer to the students so they can prepare themselves mentally/emotionally if these are triggers for them.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I would recommend for students who were fourteen years and older. Based on the reviews, I read on this forum, the narrative style appears to be appealing to any reader. Moreover, as the protagonist of the novel is sixteen this creates a further appeal to younger persons. Greater discussion and preparation for wholesome and uncomplicated relationships need to occur in educational settings.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I wouldn't exclude young teenagers from reading this book, because I think that Natalie's courage, strength, and determination could inspire a lot of them that are going through similar situations.
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

I would suggest 16 years and older. We are living in a very fast paced society these days with social media and technology. I think a 16 year old is quite able to understand this topic and may even be an eye opener to one of their friends that may be being abused.
zilipendwa
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilipendwa.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by zilipendwa »

I would recommend this book to junior readers so as to expose them to parent child relationship
zilipendwa
Currently Reading:

Post by zilipendwa »

Fuzzy456 wrote: 22 May 2018, 05:42 I would suggest 16 years and older. We are living in a very fast paced society these days with social media and technology. I think a 16 year old is quite able to understand this topic and may even be an eye opener to one of their friends that may be being abused.
I equally agree with this.
zilipendwa
Currently Reading:

Post by zilipendwa »

Erick Bixen wrote: 03 May 2018, 02:47 I would recommend this book to teens since they will learn their roles in the family.
This looks fine
zilipendwa
Currently Reading:

Post by zilipendwa »

arcie72 wrote: 14 May 2018, 03:03 Many children younger than a teenager go through extreme hardships that makes them grow up to fast. Some are broken but most persevere as children are resilient. With that said, I would recommend this book for High School sophomores and above with a disclaimer to the students so they can prepare themselves mentally/emotionally if these are triggers for them.
Yes, a high school student will find this book to be fine.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”