Importance of the Setting

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Importance of the Setting

Post by Tbunde5 »

This story takes place in Australia, with Natalie’s heritage being aboriginal. The place and time setting, combined with the history of aboriginals in Australia, play a huge part of Natalie’s life and life choices. Her race decides her place in the social hierarchy of the day and make her even more vulnerable in some ways. The question is this: If we take Natalie and her story out of this setting and put her in America today, is the story still relatable and believable? How might the story change?
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I think it's possible that Natalie would still get some hate for being part Aboriginal as people are cruel against anyone who isn't white. But I think they would be more accepting of her now compared to the setting of the story.
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

Agreed with above, I believe Natalie being non-Caucasian would expose her to a similar vulnerability in the setting you propose, ie America today. Also, it's important to note she's part Aborginal, and therefore faces all the societal problems that mixed race people face constantly, that of not ever belonging to or being fully accepted by one race. So we can't even hypothetically transpose her and her story into a situation where she'd be part of a majority race.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

Yes, I absolutely think this story would be relatable if the setting was America. This story reminded me of the deep south at the turn of the 20th century, when poor farming families struggled to survive.
JLS
Currently Reading: The Foundation Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jls.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by JLS »

I could also see people in America lumping her into different groups just as a knee jerk reaction. Race is not an exact science, to be completely honest it isn't a science at all, leading people to decide she's Black, Latino, or Asian before she gets the chance to tell them her own story.
turtledonut
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-turtledonut.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by turtledonut »

I think that this story could definitely be relatable in America today. The friction of race is still exacerbated in America even if it is a little more covert than overt. Any person of colour would find themselves facing struggles. And as JLS said she could be mistaken for a different race and characterized with negative stereotypes.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Since mixed race people are rare anywhere on on the planet, Natalie would still face racial prejudice in America and even in any part of the planet.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zilizopita1998 »

turtledonut wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 10:39 I think that this story could definitely be relatable in America today. The friction of race is still exacerbated in America even if it is a little more covert than overt. Any person of colour would find themselves facing struggles. And as JLS said she could be mistaken for a different race and characterized with negative stereotypes.
I equally agree with this.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I agree that Natalie would face prejudice in almost any country, but I do think there are important differences and I suspect that there are significant differences between the USA and Australia in this respect. To take just one example, as far as I know, there is no person of Aboriginal descent who has achieved the same respect and recognition as Martin Luther King.
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

Libs_Books wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 12:15 I agree that Natalie would face prejudice in almost any country, but I do think there are important differences and I suspect that there are significant differences between the USA and Australia in this respect. To take just one example, as far as I know, there is no person of Aboriginal descent who has achieved the same respect and recognition as Martin Luther King.
I agree with you on this.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I think yes because the setting will always play a major role in every story, you change one little detail and a great lot can change.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

Setting is so important to any story. If we took Natalie and placed her in America today I believe she would still face racism as she did then. I think her actions and choices would change due to the laws of this country today.
I could most likely see her in the pre civil war time period of America when compared to the 1950's in Australia.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I think if we dropped Natalie in America today she would be much more easily accepted. Depending on where she lived she might get some grief but I think for the most part she wouldn't get close to the treatment she got in her town.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I've lived in Australia, and I think the Aboriginals there have it easy compared to the African-American community in the USA. I don't like to think that racism is something others do to another group, rather it is has a lot more to do with how we portray ourselves to society and the feedback we get from society. I mean, every immigrant in the US will face a certain degree of discrimination, but those who don't let it become a stumbling block on their path tend to achieve success.
The black community in the US still views itself as seriously oppressed (perhaps even worse than the Mexicans in their view), so yes I think if the novel's setting is changed the same events can play out - if not worse.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

I think if you were writing this story set in america, you'd possibly make her from a mexican or native american background
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”