Is Natalie's protection of her mother a reversal of roles? Does it happen often nowadays? Any personal experiences?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Kdonegan91
2018 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Re: Is Natalie's protection of her mother a reversal of roles? Does it happen often nowadays? Any personal experiences?

Post by Kdonegan91 » 15 May 2018, 17:53

I believe that the role reversal scenario is becoming more common. Even though, it should not be unless it's for health reasons. I have personally lived through this particular scenario. After my parents divorced, I was forced to raise my younger sister for many years. Although it was not an easy time in my life (young teen), it made me who I am today.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer

Nena_Morena
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Nena_Morena » 19 May 2018, 01:37

Some of my friends have told me about their troubled childhoods that forced them to grow up too soon, but while I was reading the book I really thought of my husband. He experienced abuse since he was a little child and like Natalie, he had to take care of himself because his parents weren't there for him. He acts older than his age and I see how his troubles still affect him today. Unfortunately, I believe this experience is not uncommon nowadays.

Sefiros2211
Favorite Book: Eye of the World
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sefiros2211.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Sefiros2211 » 23 May 2018, 12:57

Yes. This kind of relationship can be found in a family with an addicted family member. The parent is too high to take care of the children, so it's up to the child to be the grown-up, fixing meals and making sure the other -- mostly younger -- kids make it to school, do their homework; etc. Forcing kids to assume adult roles denies them a childhood where playing and fun is the highlight of their young lives. This can build resentment, which is bottled up, changing the child into a cynic. Wary of adults' help -- because the adults in their own lives have done so little -- they are biased when genuine help comes their way. It's a deadly and vicious cycle that is happening every day.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”